The Mighty Dacia - 1310 estate - Cat's tales

dollywobbler

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a bit of tinkering time over the weekend to play with the Dacia so the air box now fits and most of the holes are blocked up with spare bolts and PTFE tape.

As it still wouldn't start I switched my attention to a ignition bypass or hotwire.

First attempt was to copy my 405 technique of a wire connected to the starter solenoid that could be struck on the cigarette lighter.

This proved trickier than I expected as wires poked through the bulkhead didn't appear behind the dash. The other problem being that the starter solenoid is buried under the inlet fannymold and I couldn't find the correct wire to join and couldn't see the terminals.

It was obviously* going to be simpler to hotwire it the traditional way by connecting dash wires together. First it seemed sensible to check the wires with a multimeter so off came the steering column cowling and on went the meter.

After a bit of fannying round I established that there wasn't much wrong with the switch so the problem must be elsewhere.

I'm still trying to get video footage over to Ian if anyone has any good suggestions that will cope with my crappy internet.

I also found this on Google Play while looking for something else. I want to download it but I'm not giving it all the permissions that it wants on a proper phone. Might wipe an old phone and pop it on for a play

Good stuff. Another culprit is fuel pump. Does priming make any difference now it's on a decent carb? Is that vacuum pipe now blocked?

If you're on feeble broadband, I can see that WeTransfer might be an issue. It was taking me several hours to upload videos to YouTube, because even though we had 2.5mbps download, the upload was restricted to 252kb or something like that.

I didn't try priming it today,  will give it a go later in the week with a fresh battery

I just tested it and it claimed 0.82Mbps upload and 17.6 Mbps download but I think the main issue is that it drops out regularly and WT needs me to pop back on each time to wake it back up.

I've just remembered that we've got a shared album on Google photos,  drop in there and see if you can find it.

• 5 weeks later...

Get a Skala 55 (AKA 511 or smaller 311, also has other name which I forget). While you're at it, wear tights on your head for that extra James May feel.

There are a few Skala 55s around here but there will be plenty over there. I just love their shape and the rear boot. Don't know why.

Get a Skala 55 (AKA 511 or smaller 311, also has other name which I forget). While you're at it, wear tights on your head for that extra James May feel.

There are a few Skala 55s around here but there will be plenty over there. I just love their shape and the rear boot. Don't know why.

These look like they should be RWD and I'm a bit sad that they're not.

I like that these were in production until 10 years ago. Even the newest ones must only cost a few hundred quid in Serbia by now, surely.