The Mighty Dacia - 1310 estate - Cat's tales

dollywobbler

It's quite odd. There's half a contact breaker, which strikes what looks like a sensor. No condenser. So, it's sort-of like a points-assisted ignition.

That's what I suspected it was. Some of those units don't like a condenser and need it removing when fitted.

Is this getting a spark off the coil king lead when cranking? That will tell you if the coil+points+magic red box is doing stuff.

Gotronic aftermarket electronic ignintion. You can still buy it.

Very simple, replaces the points with a sensor that fires the spark through a transistor. Saves the points from burning down with time.

http://gotronic.ro/new/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56%3Aaprindere-tranzistorizata-at011&catid=34%3Aaprinderi-electronice&Itemid=57&lang=en

If it basically works (you have a spark) then its unlikely to be the cause of any troubles.

Reclama%20AT%20011%20cu%20Senzor%20011.j

AT 011 si senzor 011 english.pdf

Well, I've managed to locate a suitable distributor, which goes back to points and condenser. We can always upgrade later if we fancy. I hope it is a dizzy problem, and not something else - tricky when both the fuel pump and carb are suspect, as well as the ignition side of things.

That's what I suspected it was. Some of those units don't like a condenser and need it removing when fitted.

Is this getting a spark off the coil king lead when cranking? That will tell you if the coil+points+magic red box is doing stuff.

^^ done this?

Probably no easy way to make it fit - but freely available here is a brand new, never been fitted Lada dizzy. Also the one that I took off the car (working fine at the time - just removed as the injection system I fitted also handles the ignition).

Yours free if you want it. Can snap photos if you want to see if it looks even vaguely plausible.

Well, I've managed to locate a suitable distributor, which goes back to points and condenser. We can always upgrade later if we fancy. I hope it is a dizzy problem, and not something else - tricky when both the fuel pump and carb are suspect, as well as the ignition side of things.

You have to start somewhere, though.

And if your dizzy is doing all kinds of funny moves, I'm inclined to believe hurling it into the unspoiled Welsh countryside is a good start.

Besides, when exactly have points and condensers become inappropriate?

PS - still prepared to assist in German workshop manual obtainage.

Probably no easy way to make it fit - but freely available here is a brand new, never been fitted Lada dizzy. Also the one that I took off the car (working fine at the time - just removed as the injection system I fitted also handles the ignition).

Yours free if you want it. Can snap photos if you want to see if it looks even vaguely plausible.

Thanks. We have a dizzy on the way now.

I remember the chap who did the gardening at church having a H reg pick up version in the mid 1990's, I think he had bought it new, I still see him driving round in a battered LDV Sherpa.

Have just started watching the video's on your channel, incredible collection really and very entertaining.

I remember the chap who did the gardening at church having a H reg pick up version in the mid 1990's, I think he had bought it new, I still see him driving round in a battered LDV Sherpa.

Have just started watching the video's on your channel, incredible collection really and very entertaining.

Thank you! I hadn't really realised that the pick-ups were sold here at all. I know of a couple in preservation now.

I loved the Maxi video and the Invacars too, I remember one pottering around Stourbridge.

His Dacia had a big metal cage on the back. If memory serves me correctly he had had the other Dacia (not the R12 lookalike) they sold in the 80's before this one, was it the Duster/Denem I cannot recall which was which?

Your capers have certainly inspired me to look at getting something from abroad again, the more interesting stuff on the road the better amongst the bland blobs around now.

There was a H reg one festering away in the brambles in a body repairers yard in Kidderminster in the late nineties. Looked like it had been there for several years. Pale bluey grey I think it was.

Collected the Dacia earlier. Lost the gauges within minutes of departing. Turns out I'd lost the brake lights too. I hadn't realised this until I got to Birmingham...

Here is the Dacia parked up outside a cemetery. I enjoyed a peaceful dinner, then played with fuses until things worked again.

post-3690-0-47041000-1533324339_thumb.jpg

That lasted until the end of the motorway slip road, but fiddling with the fuses usually restores some sort of functionality. It is very nearly starting well, but still needs a prime for a successful hot start.

All set for DaciaFest tomorrow. See you at the British Motor Museum if you're heading there. Free for Dacia access, usual price for museum access.

....All set for DaciaFest tomorrow. See you at the British Motor Museum if you're heading there. Free for Dacia access, usual price for museum access.

I saw another white Dacia 1310 Estate last night, covered in advertising for hire-classic-cars.org, the Romanian enthusiast group which parked the blue Renault 12 at Brent Cross some weeks ago.