DAF 66 Kombi

Sigmund Fraud

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I've finally decided to make a serious attempt to sell my 66 Kombi :

It's a 1973 "De Luxe" model, which means poverty spec : rubber floor matting instead of carpet, painted metal instead of real fake wood on the dash, front drum brakes instead of discs and narrow 14" rims instead of wide 13" ones.

It's powered by the good, old Renault Cleon 1108cc engine, coupled with DAF's (in)famous belt-driven variomatic transmission.

Like most surviving DAFs, this particular car has had an easy life and appears to have spent more time in storage than on the road. There are just over 54K miles on the odometer.

I bought it in mid-2014, after my blue 66 saloon blew its headgasket. The master plan was to quickly recommission the kombi and run it until my saloon was fixed, at which point it would be sold on. In typical Autoshite fashion, the master plan did not work.

Four years later, I have done just about enough work for the kombi to be in one piece, run and drive. If I'm honest, it's been a bit of a lash-up and the car is still pretty much a project. This is, of course, reflected in the price.

The kombi is very solid, and while it's in desperate need of cosmetic bodywork it shouldn't need anything structural.

I took it for a 10 mile drive today, which was the first time it's been driven on the road since 1996.

Engine and transmission seemed fine, I took the thing up to 50mph on a B road and it was happy enough. No overheating despite the hot weather.

Stopping from 50mph was a bit of an issue, though, and heavy braking revealed a noticeable pull to the left. I've rebuilt the rear brake cylinders, so I suspect that the fronts also need to be done. I have a front cylinder seal kit, which will come with the car.

Steering was vague, which could well mean that new rack bushings are required ; this is a common DAF fault. Handling was otherwise fine, though I must confess that I didn't push the car, especially after realising the brakes were shite.

The car is MoT exempt, and nominally on the road. But the brakes are shite, it's running on ancient tyres and has been driven a total of 10 miles in the past 22 years. So it should be transported rather than driven away by its lucky new owner.

All proceeds from the sale will go towards the restoration of this faded primadonna :

This was mine (I think), there have been so many cars I have lost track. This is potentially a bloody good car, minor cosmetics and a brake rebuild should suffice. 

At this price it is an utter steal. If I had the money and were able to allow myself to purchase, then it would be with me already.

That would be an interesting list.

Have these for starters:

Mini Clubman

Simca 1000 (top of my all time want list)

Rolls Royce/Bentley

MGB GT

Porsche

Mercedes

Peugeot

Anything V8

Cortina

Metro

Modern MINI

Range Rover

Anyway, back to the Daf.

This is an utter bargain, get it bought.

Back around 1982/3 my Dad bought a P reg Daf 46 to replace his tired N reg Reliant Robin and it was a good faithful servant for the next 8 years.

This little car has to be the bargain of the year,mot and tax free and sod all a year to insure what's not to like ?

It's almost like free motoring and it's an estate car so will easily earn it's keep just doing tip runs and carting your flea ridden dog around.

Honestly if i needed a little car for a local daily commute this would be on my driveway.

Body bits lol

Offside wing and front valance need paint. Nearside wing needs a couple of grotty bits repaired (non structural !), a couple of dents pulled out, filler and paint. Nearside door needs a dent pulled out, filler and paint. Nearside sill needs paint.