Stanky's Celica - provisionally sold

Stanky

Mmmm possibly. As for undersealing whilst on they're ramp and workshop could be messy , worth a call to see if they're ok with it , a place I used years ago were fine with af, oil and shit but no undersealing. My mechanic mate seems to of disappeared off the planet so i might have a few bits to tackle .... one day !

Thats very kind Tepper, would you be amicable to the idea of applying Vactan and or underseal while on it? Completely understand if you are reticent about it though. There will be some splashes inevitably while painting upside down.

Right, having sold the Yaris I thought 2 cars between 2 drivers would be fine. However a lack of doors, or surplus of under twos (depending how you look at it) means i really need to look seriously at selling this and buying something rather more practical.

Wife_stanky had need of the Saab, and I was required to transport my youngest (9 months) which was a right old palava in a 3 door car. getting in and out of the back with a baby seat is no fun I'm afraid.

With a heavy heart I really need to look to sell this and buy something 5-door hatchback shaped. If I was a smart guy I'd have offered to swap Jim Bell the Yaris for his Focus but as has been proven multiple times here, and elsewhere, I am not clever.

Valuable information follows.

Good points:

- Cambelt, tensioner and water pump, plus all aux belts replaced 2k miles ago in July. Coolant replaced at the same time with ECP 5 year pink stuff.

- 4 decent tyres with plenty of tread left

- No rust either visible, or seemingly invisible based on MOT history

- MOT to May 2019

- ABS issue mostly banished (see below)

- Cosmetic issues remedied other than some paint fade on the passenger side door

- Surprisingly economical. Managed a combined high 30s and the traffic around here is grim at rush hour. Should easily do low to mid 40s on a run but thats not really the point is it?

- Gearbox oil replaced last June ~2k ago

- Snazzy touchscreen stereo headunit

Less good points:

- The PAS belt squeals on full lock on a cold morning, once warmed up its fine. Probably needs the PAS pump tensioned up. its in a fiddly place. Was fine in the summer when we did all the belts but a bit squeaky below zero.

- Some paint fade on the passenger side door, and D-pillar. Normal for a 90s red car AFAIK

- annoying ABS issue persists. The warning light is fine and goes out as expected on startup, however sometimes, and always at low speed (like <10mph) on light braking, the ABS triggers and the pedal pulses. stamping harder on the pedal instantly makes this go away. I think its the ABS ring, rather than sensor as the sensor does not show any faults and the ring is the only logical thing it could be. The issue does not occur if you unplug the sensor, though obviously the light then comes on because the ABS ECU can't communicate with the sensor and it thinks its broken.

- passenger side front tyre very slowly loses air down to 25psi. probably wants re-seating. I live near a petrol station with a free air machine so just re-fill it once a fortnight when I get petrol.

- Snazzy headunit a bit temperamental. Will reboot sometimes, not really that annoying with the radio on, but irritating when playing MP3s from an SD card. Also, not that well shielded from engine interference so sometimes makes a whining noise which rises and falls with engine speed. I like to think of it like a poor mans supercharger. You may wish to change the head unit though.

Neutral points:

- comes with lots of spares if desired. New bonnet, replacement lights, lots of interior trim, working ABS sensor, door glass for both sides

- a bit of masking tape still stuck on the rear drivers side panel from respraying the bumper in situ. I'll try and remove it before sale. Its rather well adhered though.

It drives really well, is massive fun on a backroad and behaves fine on motorways etc. plenty of poke for 'just' 115bhp.

Any interest at £600 or £10/ticket roffle? Located south coast, near airports, sea ports, train ports and car ports. reg is R401 GHO for MOT history info. Its pretty tidy. Pics to follow tomorrow when its light.

Aye, I'll take a couple of randoms, one of mine is over two now so this is an amazingly practical four seat hatchback, especially compared to the MGF I've just bought.

(Okay I'll say it. How hard can it be getting a 9 month old into a coupe? Stick em in the front with the big one in the back, as long as there's no passenger airbag. Aren't these great fun to drive?)

Some pics from the office car park this morning to whet your appetites. I've also updated the ad with some other things I've thought of between last night and this morning.

post-5525-0-59835400-1548148532_thumb.jpg

post-5525-0-60550400-1548148544_thumb.jpg

post-5525-0-39938900-1548148559_thumb.jpg

post-5525-0-24194900-1548148573_thumb.jpg

post-5525-0-73687400-1548148588_thumb.jpg

post-5525-0-95907100-1548148603_thumb.jpg

post-5525-0-86795000-1548148616_thumb.jpg

I'll get the numbers up shortly too.

EDIT TO ADD - it does have passenger and driver airbags in the front so rear-facing car seats are strictly to go in the back, which is a PITA. forward facing ones would be fine though, and if your kids are able to walk by themselves then getting in the back is easy, lifting non-walking ones in is less so.

1 . RantingYoof
2 .
3 . Geordieinexile
4 .
5 .
6 . Maurice Marina
7 .
8 .
9 .
10 . Jim Bell
11 .
12 .