Forgive me shiteists for I have had unclean thoughts...

Mr Lobster

Been to Renault World Series at Silverstone this weekend (of which more in the next day or two when I update my spotted thread).There is the obligatory display of new Renaults so myself and Mrs L had a sit in a few (she liked the Master Tipper and Magnum truck). I have already thought to myself that the new Twingo seems an alright sort of thing but having sat in a Twingo 133 RS Cup, found myself very seriously thinking that this was something I could definately own and really enjoy.To my eternal shame I even wondered how much and could I scrap myself a £2k discount :shock: I feel slightly unclean. :oops: Still, R4 managed 450 miles without incident this weekend which was nice.Wonder how long it will take before they come down to shite level.......

S'alright. I've just watched Top Gear and found myself torn between a Skoda Roomster with a cement mixer engine and the stupidly tiny Toyota IQ, just because it's tiny.I'll get over it quickly though. £11,500 is still a ridiculous amount of money that could buy a lifetime's amount of shite!!

Sit in an IQ and touch the plastics - you'll get over it. Somebody from FSO's interior QC team was on a Japanese busmans holiday :lol:

Pah! Surely it can't be much worse than a smart? I'm amazed that Merc allowed their badge to go on them.
Merc never put their badge on a Smart or Toyota did they?

Sit in an IQ and touch the plastics - you'll get over it. Somebody from FSO's interior QC team was on a Japanese busmans holiday :lol:

Pah! Surely it can't be much worse than a smart? I'm amazed that Merc allowed their badge to go on them.
Merc never put their badge on a Smart or Toyota did they?
Yes, Merc did - when swatch pulled out. Early ones didn't.

I shall offer my sympathies.

I too have been tempted by the dark side of late, quite worrying.

I got to thinking that maybe at some point in my life I oughta own a decent car, having spent many years trolling about in sub £1000 shitters. So I started looking at what I might like and what might fit the bill.

I like the 02>05 BMW 3-series, particularly the 'sport individual' versions they knocked out. Still pricey though. And cramped. And the mrs wouldn't like it (RWD). Maybe an X-type then, FWD but nicely appointed. Still a bit small though for a family of 5. So I'd 'have' to go full-size, had a nose about and found this:

Posted Image

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0430199022

Which is a really silly idea.

But that is a hella lot of car for the price of a new Aygo. New enough to look flash and not have descended to pub-landlord maintainance though.

Should I??

(Won't be for a couple of months anyway as I gotta save some pennies)...

Yeah I`m thinking the same thing, I`ve been looking at T and V-reg Mk2 Mondeos, trying to find one with minor crash damage in a unappealing spec and colour to keep the price down - it`d be nice to have a brand new car on the fleet.

I always thought that it was just tossers putting the Merc badge on, IMHO anything Merc touches is worth avoiding!

AFAIK Smart had always been an offshoot of Mercedes hence why their full name is the MCC Smart (Mercedes City Car).and to my eyes the A Class always looked like a bigger version of it so should have become the ForFour instead of that contraption they came up with!

TBH it's only the fact that I won't take on finance just to buy a car that stops me doing it. IF I had the spare cash, I'd rather enjoy a new car. I've got a big lot of want for a decent spec, late Saab as well at the moment.Don't get that Toyota IQ at all. From some angles its a really odd looking thing and as it is far more expensive than the very capable Aygo I don't really see the point or who is going to buy one.

The Commandant's parents have an Aygo. They say it feels very flimsy and built down to a price but it seemed better than the equivalent Pug. It's also better than the year old Kia something-or other that they had before. As an aside that was written off by a drunk at a junction who hit the side of it at some speed. The car was squashed up, but M in Law and Granny (99 at the time) were absolutely fine. There does seem to be something in this crumple-zone malarkey ...I sat in a specced up iQ on display in the local shopping centre and was quite taken with it - until I saw the price :shock:

Bugger me - I pass this and the yard full of assorted chod (such as 1976 crane) every day - for years he had the magled remains of a trabant on the roof of his tin shipping crate office, tis gone now.

Bus looks even more shagged in real life.

Ooh, lovely. I saw an early one being driven by the stereotypical old giffer - Panama hat on the rear shelf - at the weekend, and thought to myself - yes, one day, one day.

But I am also having impure thoughts about Passat W8s and Mazda 6 MPSs (no reason, other than they must be the ultimate Q-cars) as a way of spending monies that I currently have in a fixed-term bond.

Going back to Mr Lobster's Renner theme, I also really like the new Clio 200 RS. They had a test of it in Autocar a couple of weeks ago, in a most bizarre sort-of matt green toothpaste colour, which I inexplicibly loved.

However, I suspect I will soldier on with my elderly Peugeot, and buy a bigger house instead - Mrs W says no moar cars. Bums.

I can't look at this thread without thinking of an Autoshite version of the 'Delcoease' ad... 2 blokes in a dodgy pub, nursing halves of mild. Third bloke come in looking flustered..."When I just walked past the Kia dealer... they had this £2000 scrappage scheme on... I was tempted...""Don't worry, we all get that from time to time..."

I also really like the new Clio 200 RS. They had a test of it in Autocar a couple of weeks ago, in a most bizarre sort-of matt green toothpaste colour, which I inexplicibly loved.

Think it's called Alien Green or some such slightly odd name. Looks very nice although could be the sort of colour that will look really dated in a few years time. Still, I'd happily have one.