Has anyone had a lorry transported? Is it hi - NOW BODGE 50 HORSEBO11OX THREAD (Now with added turtles)

Mr_Bo11ox

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Testicals you sir are a Leg end!!

Just spent 3 hours last night, and 2 today reading your Blue forum blog....

is the Bi finished??????

How the hell do you find all these cars???

How can you afford to do this?????

and can I come to France PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ

LOL

Yo Bezza! That blog started 11 years ago, at the time you could get a decent Alfa 33 off eBay for £200 or a crispy Maser for £400! Bah, that makes me feel old.

I'm 52 in August - Mind says it's 18 - Body just laughs, and creaks, a lot!!

Congrats on the madskilz yo. I can't even nail wood together, and there's you rebuilding parts that Aren't even there to start with!

I can smell the piss-impregnated plywood from here.

Smells like the stairwell of your local NCP car park

No bother, they converted the local public labs near me into a house !!!!!!!. I think where the Gents Urinals used to be is now the lounge.......guests round.....excuse me but your lounge smells of piss.........you also got to hope they don't remember it being public lavs and start pissing up your wall.

Well I mulled over options including a.) sacking the whole thing off, or b.) finding another cab perhaps.

For a.) I decided that any sub-£2k horsebox I find is likely to need serious welding in any case. I've seen loads on ebay that need their rotten cabs sorting out, and cos they all have separate chassis, the rot needs to get really chronic before it becomes an MOT fail. They've all had 20+ years of driving up muddy tracks and having gallons of horse piss sloshed through them so I figured I should be ready to pay for, or do, some serious welding whatever happened.

for b.) I did find someone on FB who had a mint cab in primer, for sale for £1000 delivered. It was quite tempting but to change the cab you'd need to take the box off, or at least chop the 'nose' off the box so the cab could be removed. plus you'd then need to remake the cut-through between the cab and the box. I cant do all that on the drive so I'd need to find a truck mechanic with access to a crane or telehandler or some other 'big tools' for lifting cabs/boxes on and off. That all sounded like a multi-thousand-pound disaster waiting to happen.

So, taking into account that I really like the size, shape and construction of this truck and that mechanically it seems really good, and that it cost piss all to buy, it was looking like a serious welding job might be the most straightforward option if I could find someone who wanted to take it on. I asked Al Bundy if he fancied getting involved, and he came up from Leicester to mine to have a look at it. He reckoned it was not as horrendous as he had expected from the pics, and gave me an approximate price, and reassuringly said he had seen and tackled worse!!! So we shook hands and now its down at his place so I am hoping he will just wade in and the magic will start happening!!

If he can sort the inner and outer arches and the front crossmember/cab mount area I reckon that will eradicate 2/3 of all of the cab rot (I bet there is some more in the bulkhead behind the dash) and hopefully get it into a state where it won't fail an MOT on cab rust. If it fails on any other bits I reckon i will be able to sort them OK myself on the drive so I will have the basis of something I can work with I think.

Thast the plan but i know myself from dealing with rotten old heaps that trying to forecast how far the rot has got in, is like trying to pay your gas bill with lottery tickets so theres always a chance that it will go horribly pear-shaped. I am relying on AB's skill and judgement now!!!