Small updates. I got the remote locking working just about, which was very pleasing. The flipper is on its last legs but I just managed to get the contacts in good enough shape for it to keep working. While I was at it I disconnected the alarm siren. The noise of the chirps this thing makes is really rather annoying after a while. Disconnecting the multi plug to the siren is the easy way out. You will find the alarm siren next to the windscreen washer fluid reservoir, very easy to get at.
I finally got the car on a ramp to have a really good poke around underneath. The mechanic was quite impressed. Overall it's very clean and solid. A few things of note are:
*Some play in front wheel bearings.
*Offside front brake flexi hose is a bit tired.
*Nearside front brake caliper and flexi hose are new.
*Front shock absorbers look new.
*Minor oil leak from engine (best to leave it).
*Small oil leak from diff seal.
*We tied back the ABS sensor wires to stop them flapping around in the breeze.
*Inner front wing corners repaired to a poor standard. Solid, but need monitoring.
*Surface rust on lower inner edge of offside sill. Wire brush and treat.
*Offside rear jacking point twisted but solid. We still lifted the car on it without problem.
It's an oldish car so overall things are really good I would dare say. I forgot to pay attention to the gearbox mount. I can't get a good view from my rubbish photos so I can't see the rubber bush.
Other news is a slight and annoying misfire detectable at tickover. The answer will no doubt be LUCAS. I've cleaned the intake bellows, TPS and front of the throttle body. That did nothing. I'll do the fuel filter next as it looks old and I have a new one. I also have the correct spark plugs which I might try before resorting to coil packs and fuel pressure regulator.