VW PASSAT 1.9TDi

Jim Bell

The windscreen scuttle plastics are such a lash up, at least the ECU is well guarded.

When the scuttle fills with water, it overflows past the pollen filter housing into the passenger footwell. The CCM in under the passenger carpet.......

When the scuttle fills with water, it overflows past the pollen filter housing into the passenger footwell. The CCM in under the passenger carpet.......

I'm going to keep an eye on it. Terrible design.

WTF. I never actually got round to servicing it but the screwdriver?! Hilarious and scary

It looks like it was there for a long time, long enough for the sound deadening material to detach and fall on top of it.

Sorry to read about the screwdriver, it's not mine or my Grandads but maybe the garage who did the cambelt for us prehaps? I can go and have word with them if needed next time I'm passing.

Nice one on the vent fix was on the to do list along with replacing the scuttle panel but could never could find one local. 

All the best with the Passat and look forward to seeing any future updates.

This thing always felt like it was a bit sluggish, not giving its all, there's a flat spot at 2000rpm where there shouldn't be one at all. I bought a cheap length of silicone hose and set about replacing the vacuum hoses and injector leak offs. Can you use silicone for leak offs?

6d8b0e53ad87c154e9646cf89983c26a.jpg

The old foosty vacuum hoses.

afa00b9f06f048a4c5b5bb3219b32139.jpg

New ones in place. Buried down there is a homage to Citroen, the brake vacuum booster looks a lot like an accumulator sphere.

Anyway it seems transformed, less languid at low revs and smoother acceleration. Cheap fix.

• 2 weeks later...

The Passat is plodding away nicely and generating some amazing MPG figures on the readout when driven carefully. (Spuriousness level UNSURE) Even if it's 10% off it's still impressive.

It's still whining, possibly from a drive belt, possibly from the clutch release bearing. I haven't had enough free time to investigate.

One of the hubcaps has lost its VW badge. Weren't they bought new? I guess they are quite old with old glue.

What I did have time to do was clean the MAF sensor with rubbing alcohol. You can see the sensor part and a bit of soot on it in one of the pictures. It was worth doing as it seems to go even better without stour on the sensor.

c8ae21b5d9624d54a309162f4aabb11f.jpg

c28ea19ba69eed02fa44c3a3229822bf.jpg

5c8d2c897862b4a9f86324581ae497e4.jpg

f9cc6b61ac870d57f4e8bebb913f9849.jpg

bc2bbeb9cd11ec142a53c131b301b4bf.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't realise our own Lord Sterling had owned this car.

43708b049f2e72cec55f3ea0a1d1284c.jpg

There is a whine I've mentioned before, I think I've narrowed it down to the pilot bearing which is a gearbox off job. Ignore at my peril?

The special-ish tools to remove the driveshaft haven't arrived yet, the CV joint really isn't happy now. Otherwise the car is plodding away nicely.

• 1 month later...

The Passat has been running as slow as an SDI recently and showing a 00553 MAF wiring fault, the first time I disturbed the plug it fell to bits and it's been falling apart even more since so that was my first port of call.

Destroying the old plug was the easiest way to release the wiring.

dfbdcb5f5963da7e5648047d2e856269.jpg

f8dff624555fc0e13b64e16c63b1d2b7.jpg

Wiring diagram and new plug.

Anyway, it's still showing the 00553 code, I guess the wire tails need to be replaced.

Fuck this modern shit.

Lol. I've sent ya PM ;)

Wish I spent more time with my Passat when I had it. I quite liked it and am still looking at the Passat in a 'I fancy another one' way.

It's a good car but I can't get too enthusiastic about it, it's been reliable and it sips fuel but I find it a bit stodgy. Itching for something else already.