VW PASSAT 1.9TDi

Jim Bell

Glad to hear this is staying within the AS fold. I'm sure sims00 has gave you all the background info on the Passat, but if you want to know anything about it history or work carried out prior to sims00 buying it from me. Just PM me and I'd be happy to help. 

I'm sure the Passat will serve you well as it did my Grandad for the last 15 years.  :-) Hope you keep us updated with it's progress.

Just thought this is the first time in 18 years the Passat has lived outside of the Midlands!

Made it as far as Woodhall Services. Traffic is Mental. Car drives lovely. Car is mint. Car is A+ at being a car.

Great to meet you Sims00. Top bloke and A+++ seller.

Eating chicken then another 3 hours ish on the road.

Will write up l8r m8s.

post-5435-0-04880900-1527269766_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-72838600-1527269890_thumb.jpg

Ps. Got me fuckin crisps like. No danger.

post-5435-0-97270300-1527269931_thumb.jpg

A friend of mine had an 02 plate B5 Variant, gloriously high mileage and just kept on going, kept looking new for longer than I can remember.    His missus kept on about some ISO car seat bollocks for the grandkids until he caved in and bought a 2010 model.   To my untutored eyes, it looked exactly the fucking same, same silver colour too.  Did exactly what the old one did (and continues to for the new owner)  but costs him the same amount a month to finance as he got for his old one in total.   Doom blue suits it even better, nice buy.

It was raining so no woolarding, handover shot or walk around. Didnt lift the bonnet, didnt look under it.

Far more important was a cup of tea and a bit craic.

post-5435-0-85238200-1527282728_thumb.jpg

Spanking shiny badges.

post-5435-0-71016900-1527282904_thumb.jpg

Money was swapped for keys, we put the world to rights for a bit then it was up the road. Up the road on a bank holiday weekend friday at rush hour turned out to be akin to the the retreat to Dunkirk by the allied forces in world war 2. But with air conditioning, and KFC at half time.

Fill her up you fucker mother.

post-5435-0-93303500-1527283104_thumb.jpg

Ouch. My bum pocket is sore.

Couple of potatocam pics as I stopped for pretzel infused ice cream a mile from home.

post-5435-0-93860100-1527283687_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-21024700-1527283741_thumb.jpg

Long day for such a reasonably short collection. Nearly 14 hours.

Im having a lie in tomorrow.

With fair wind and a sufficiency of intestinal fortitude, itll be the last collection shennanigans for a while.

To address some of the Cons chronicled earlier.

I dont think the steering is overly light, even at motorway speeds.

Yes the gear change is a bit unrefined. A bit 'loose' on the selection handle. Dunno why they would design it like that, but theres no denying it.

Interior plastics and the interior in general are/is very nice.

I didnt drive it sufficiently zany to judge whether the engine overhang is terrible or not. But Ill guess and say its fine.

I have not, as yet tried prising the front door locks out with a screwdriver without setting off the microwave alarm.

In all, its pretty slow, comfortable, practical and frugal.

4 out of 5 shits.

Yeah but the hazzard switch is obscured by the wheel when its telescoped out to maximum setting.

Many thanks while I remember to Mr Simms for getting the car valleted, installing new mats and fitting a new stereo for me turning up. I kind of expected the cup of tea, but the rest really was going above and beyond. Top fella.

I had one of these in PD130 flavour towards the back end of last year. They're a lovely thing when going well and very capable of 300k+, particularly in VE format like yours. A few caveats to mention are...

1. Foam pads: The first thing you must do, no ifs buts or bats about it is to remove the front arch liners, reach up into the inner wing and pull out the foam padding. These were fitted as sound proofing on derv models (Mk4 Golf derv are the same) They trap moisture/salt/road filth against the inner wing and hold it there causing them to rust out. Yours look good so get in there before it sets in. If possible coat the inner wings with Waxoyl/slub of your choosing to avoid future woes before re-fitting the liners.

2. Plenum drains: Get the battery out and clear them to avoid CCM misery. That video makes it look easy, I found the larger battery fitted to the PD130 I had simply would not come out in the way described. I had to pop the wiper arms and remove the scuttle. Scuttle broke during removal. Works ok on petrol variants but for the bigger derv batteries not so much. Worst placement/set up ever bar none IME.

3. Front suspension set up: You'll find out in your own time but I still have nightmares about mine... Deeply traumatic experience and played a strong hand in me moving my one on to pastures new.

4. Matrix: They go. Keep an eye out for steamy windows...

Aside from that little lot they're  great. It looks to be a minter and worth investing time and effort into, not many left in that kind of nick... I have an un-used MANN air filter that should fit that you're welcome to  ;)

Cheers fella. Think the drains were done by previous owner but will certainly need checked in the future.

Who puts foam against metal?! Proably the same bloke that stuffed it in MR2 cavaties. Ta for the heads up. Will have a dig.

New air filter would be grand if you could be bothered to post it man?

Yup, the foam is a bad idea but something VAG cars of this era all got, as mentioned only derv models though.... Wings fitted to petrol cars remain good for the most part.

No worries RE filter, let me know some details via PM and I'll be happy to clear some shelf space and send it. Alternatively if you ever find yourself in Chester-Le-Street it is available to collect too.