Classic car shows, and will I look a knob?

Bobthebeard

I entered the Triumph Dolomite into a local charity car show that is to take place this coming Sunday. Not usually a car show fan, but charity etc.

Unfortunately the Dolomite is not ready and still needs some bodywork finishing off and a MASSIVE exhaust manifold leak repair.

Anyway..

I have paid my donation and received my entry pass. The only car I have that in any way may qualify as a classic is the 1993 Rover 416. It is in fantastic condition etc, but a classic?

I think it is, but given the location and general demographic of the area (Wrea Green) I may well be given the bum's rush.

Should I go?

The Rover R8 216/416 is widely known to be the best car ever produced, anywhere, ever. 

In the time I've had mine I've never seen another, not sure if that's different further south. It certainly draws enough comments though on it's rarity, I'd go for it, don't think it will be particularly out of place. 

25yr old car = classic in most folk's eyes.

A 1970 car was deffo a classic in 1995. Same time distance here.

99.9% of Rover 400s are bean cans. You can guarantee at least one person will go misty-eyed at seeing yours... and loads of younger kids will never have seen one, ever.

2 years ago at the Bourne show where there was everything from a 1901 Pick to a Mk1 Kia Pride there were 2 R8s, one being mine.  People were okay with them being there and regarded them as 'old cars' if not exactly classics.  They're so little seen now and have a 'proper classic' brand on them that you should be fine.

I used to show my Zephyr 6 when it was a lot younger than the Rover.    Do it.   Occasionally I have been forced to consider cancelling shows when old shite broke and taken the 190E instead.   I am not really a show person but I do like the village fete type ones, never had a problem taking the Merc, or the W124 before that.    As long as you still enjoy the day that's all that matters....

(Wrea Green) 

5d2xis.gif

MINIMUM for Wrea Green is Chrome Bumper MG.

Preferably a nice thatched Jowlett Javelin or similar displayed by a man in plus fours and a tweed jacket smoking a pipe.

Me - Id f*cking go for it and own it making a great song and dance about its K series loveliness and power to weight ratio, innovative design and any other bollocks.

Im only down the road at Kirkham - Im going to pop along after work for a giggle.

There was a RREC meet at a restaurant out in the Forest years ago.   Car park full of Corniches and pre-war Phantoms, that kind of thing.   I had to meet my parents there for a family dinner and rocked  up in my Pontiac Grand Prix.   Seeing the big square radiator grille, the old biddy on parking watch glanced up  from her deckchair and regally waved me over to the assembled Royces.   Seemed rude not to.  I did enjoy the Colonel Bufferton-Smythe types getting hot under the collar as I scoffed my mixed grill.

I once went to a Jaguar E Type day in my ....Datsun 280ZX...rusty. Guy on the gate mistook it for an E Type and I ended up parking with all the concourse Jags by mistake. How we laughed.

I did something similar in the MX5 at cholmondley , got there late saw some convertibles so parked up, got some huffy looks , i'd parked my 06 car in with the pre some date old and valuable section