1997 Fiat Brava ELX 100 TD, 83K £400. Basingstoke £6 a go.

bramz7

So somehow ended up agreeing to buy two cars in the past week. Both are things I have wanted for a considerable time, one is firmly a rolling project, the other a decent daily, or at least it better be.

I had grand plans of keeping this one as it's a nice thing to drive, and is actually a genuine rarity now. However, i just can't make the maths add up as I have agreed to spend more than intended this month, something has to give.

So, what is it?

It's a fairly early Brava, which seemed to have the vast majority of the option boxes ticked when new. It has air con, which needs a re-gas.

The heated front seats do seem to work.

The all round electric windows have become slow so I would recommend someone look at those.

The sunroof skipped a tooth when I tested it, so will need work. 

The CD changer does work. 

One front fog works.

The headlight washers do work, as you get a fine mist before the main washers turn on.

This is the pre-JTD engine, and it is quite a strong one, with a fair bit of shove and it revs a bit lower on the motorway, approx 2500 rpm at 70.

It doesn't have the 'all or nothing' Turbo of the XUD9TE but it does have a weirdly satisfying sounding turbo in it.

The interior is a really nice place to be, for me at least. The seats benefit from the velour, they are really comfortable.

With the exception of the issues above, all the electrics work, but the stereo LCD has gone a bit iffy.

There is also a bit of bubbling on the drivers side passenger door.

Has decent Punto alloys with good Continentals on them.

Not sure about service history but the previous owner was a fastidious person who replaced the clutch recently, and no doubt serviced it regularly, it still feels very tight to drive so I have no doubts about how well it's been looked after.

Brakes are sharp as you like, but a slight squeal.

Handling wise these are great and a lot better than you would expect, it does like to be chucked about. And when it's been wound up, it flies too.

Oh yeah it also has a wooden steering wheel. Which is genuine, and cost £££ new. 

£400 please.

Located in Basingstoke, can offer to partially help with delivery if you are desperate but would rather someone come get it.

41967981642_db71c80ef6_b.jpg1997 Fiat Brava ELX 100 TD. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

40205388770_28a4fd4f6b_b.jpg1997 Fiat Brava ELX 100 TD. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

28139635988_b163aa1b33_b.jpgBrava interior. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr

40205388730_032ee556c8_b.jpgTD 100 badging. by Sam Osbon, on Flickr