Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Mercedes W124 200E - Rolling Resto - Electric fan conversion kit now fitted

Project

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   Peter C

Peter C

• Full Members
  • 978 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationBuckinghamshire

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

Not really related to your Mercedes specifically but I write this with absolute truth as i regularly see the guy when visiting my friend. He sends and receives parcels from Lithuania. He is Lithuanian. His wifes father owns a business that sends vans over here and one van in particular is a Mercedes Sprinter like mine. His speedo has just clicked over again for the second time and being LT registered is in km. He is back and forth from Lithuania to the UK (2,000km) every 10 or so days. Last time I saw his speedo was saying 5600 km and as I say has clicked over twice before so has done 2,005,600

He services it every 5k with oil and filter changes and has had no issues whatsoever.

Spoken to many people and they all say the same....the shape of Sprinter I have is the best! 2005 shape....

So sorry Pete C nothing to do with your model of Merc but testament to how well they were built!

Thank you, I enjoy reading all Mercedes related stories.

As for high mileage Mercs, this is my favourite:

https://allaboutdies...z-w124.html?m=1
  • Lacquer Peel likes this
1985 Mercedes Benz W123 230E - Not shite
1991 Mercedes Benz W124 200E - Classic shite
2018 Hyundai Tucson SE Nav CRDI (mine) - New shite
2018 Hyundai Tucson SE Nav CRDI (wife’s) - New shite

#182 ONLINE   Wingz123

Wingz123

• Full Members
  • 1,466 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:19 PM

Great account that one! This guy who had the Sprinter naturally spends most of his time on motorways and so I suspect is the preferred mileage for the engine...
URGENT! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Read my thread.....

http://autoshite.com...ease-read-this/

#183 OFFLINE   Peter C

Peter C

• Full Members
  • 978 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 20 January 2019 - 03:20 PM

Last year I removed the silly ICE from my W123 and fitted a period Becker radio cassette player. The fancy Bluetooth Kenwood head unit found its way into my Boxster whilst the boom box ended up sitting up in my office. I have now returned the Boxster's ICE to stock, in preparation for its sale, which led me to think of a cunning plan. Time to upgrade the 200E's ICE.

The most time consuming part of fitting a sub in the boot is extending wiring through the car. Firstly, I had to take the glovebox lining out to get to the rear of the bulkhead, via which I extended a power cable connected to the battery.

170.jpg

Then I had to remove various bits of trim and the rear seat to extend the cabling from behind the dashboard to the rear of the car. Fortunately, having done this before to my W123 and having fitted various head units to my previous W124s, I actually knew what I was doing.

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

4.5 hours later, job done. The head unit and microphone (for a hands-free phone connection) are in place.

174.jpg

And the money shot.

175.jpg

Having taken my time, I managed a discreet installation without breaking any trim. All the cables are hidden and I did not have to drill any holes or damage any part of the car - the installation is 100% reversible.

On a low bass setting the four speakers sound nice and clear and with the head unit suitably set up, most of the bass is being produced by the sub. The effect of the install is very pleasing. The W124's boot is far better finished than a W123's, which has no lining to the underside of the boot panel and hard plastic side panels. The W124 has soft linings on all sides and the result is almost no vibration of external panels. Great result and the whole job cost me nothing.

• Shep Shepherd, yes oui si, mat_the_cat and 2 others like this

#184 OFFLINE   Peter C

Peter C

• Full Members
  • 978 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:56 PM

I haven't updated this thread for a while mostly because I've spent very little time driving or tinkering with the 200E.

Firstly, the new original Mercedes Benz thermostat appears to have made very little difference to the engine's running temperature. I suspect that the cheap Ebay water pump is causing the electro-magnetic fan to engage prematurely and thus the engine is over-cooling. The gap between the two faces of the clutch is smaller than what it should be, even with my cunning plastic shim fitted and the clutch is clearly not working as intended. I can hear the fan turning as soon as the engine temp reaches 87 degrees, which can't be right. As a solution, I propose to remove the clutch and fan and wire in an electric fan.

The second issue relates to a rattle that could be heard from the engine bay whenever engine revs dropped below idle speed. At first I though the metallic sounding noise was related to a loose exhaust clamp but further investigations revealed that the noise is actually coming from the auxiliary belt tensioner. Today I decided to remove the tensioner and see whether anything can be done to silence it.

As usual, access to the engine ancillaries was superb. I had the tensioner out within ten minutes.

178.jpg

Unfortunately, whilst removing the manual tension adjuster, part of the tensioner body, where the manual tension adjuster connects, cracked. Not a problem as the tensioner was knackered anyway.

179.jpg

I took the old tensioner to Hughes of Beaconsfield and ordered a new one. A snip at £173 and that's with a discount. Should be with me by Thursday.

On a happier note, I went for a drive via Wendover on Sunday and took a couple of photos of the 200E next to another white 200E, which also has a manual 'box. The other 200E looked tired and unloved compared to mine.

176.jpg

177.jpg

Hopefully I'll update this thread again later this week, once I've got the new tensioner fitted.

• Shep Shepherd and Jim Bell like this

#185 OFFLINE   Peter C

Peter C

• Full Members
  • 978 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 28 February 2019 - 03:27 PM

Tensioner collected and fitted. Surprisingly uncomplicated process, mostly because of superior German engineering.

180.JPG

Job done.

• Jim Bell likes this

#186 OFFLINE   Conan

Conan

• Full Members
  • 246 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationBangkok

Posted 28 February 2019 - 04:04 PM

Electric fan is a great mod on these. Less power loss!

#187 OFFLINE   Peter C

Peter C

• Full Members
  • 978 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:51 AM

I drove down to Sandown Park yesterday for the first BP Fairs toy collector fair of the season. I got a couple of nice W124 models.

Whilst the 200E drove fine on the M40, M25 and A3, once in traffic approaching my destination the cooling fan kicked in and ruined the driving experience - so much noise and the engine, which has to turn a 16" fan that acts like a propeller, doesn't want to rev. I've decided to buy one of these:

182.jpg

Does anyone have any experience of these kits?

Before I left the fair I took a nice shot of the 200E next to a period 520i. Two great but very different cars.

181.jpg  

#188 OFFLINE   Peter C

Peter C

• Full Members
  • 978 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 March 2019 - 07:23 AM

I purchased a 16" fan and thermostat kit via Ebay, all in £45 inc p&p.

Weather conditions weren't great and as my W123 doesn't know what rain is, it stayed in the garage. Consequently working conditions were a little compromised.

183.jpg

The instructions for the conversion kit suggest that the fan should be fixed directly to the radiator. From what I gathered that would involve extending cable ties through the radiator core, resulting in irreversible damage to the radiator fins. Instead, I removed the fan shroud and decided to fit the fan to the shroud instead.

184.jpg

A 16" fan is a perfect fit inside the shroud.

185.jpg

I used cable ties to secure the fan to the shroud. Everything lined up perfectly and there is plenty of clearance between the water pump shaft and fan.

186.jpg

The fitting instructions recommend that the electrical supply is switched via the ignition. The only ignition switch live that I know of feeds the radio and not wishing to interfere with any other wiring circuits, I decided to take a feed from there. Unfortunately this meant having to remove interior trim to extend the wire into the engine bay.

188.jpg

I have connected the electrical feed to the fan via a 30A relay. It's been a while since I last wired in a relay and I had to get instructions from the net.

187.jpg

With everything fitted and connected, I turned the thermostat down to approx 10 degrees C and the fan came to life. I need to test it properly by getting the engine warmed up to full running temperature but initial signs are positive. I will tidy up the wiring once I know everything is working properly.

189.jpg

• snagglepuss likes this

#189 OFFLINE   Peter C

Peter C

• Full Members
  • 978 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:20 PM

I took the 200E for a drive first thing this morning and not long into my journey I could smell antifreeze. A quick check under the bonnet revealed a leak from the radiator to top hose joint, around the temp sensor wire that I fitted yesterday.

190.jpg

Once home I let the engine cool a little, then I removed the top hose and squirted some gasket sealant around the sensor wire.

191.jpg

I let the gasket sealant set and after a couple of hours I started the engine and ran it up to temperature. Everything seems fine and the leak has stopped.

192.jpg

In other news, the heater valve has started to click. Joy.

• snagglepuss likes this

#190 OFFLINE   snagglepuss

snagglepuss

A town called Alice

• Full Members
  • 10,770 posts
  • 171 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted 09 March 2019 - 05:13 PM

That's a neat solution. Shame about heater valve

1991 - Mx5 Track beast

2003 - Getzr

1990 - Rover 800 820si - On the farm

2006 - Lancer Estate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users