Skirting the Edge

pbottomley

Right my old brown ones, I time to tell you all (in boring detail) of my plans to go to the UK seaside. Which bit? All of it. I have for reasons of my own (but you can read about it if you wish) I have decided to circumnavigate the UK coast line starting on the 2nd June, with an eye to finish 3 weeks later back where I started.

I shall be driving the Malt Loaf and I suspect I shall be partake in a slice or three on route.

This is Malt Loaf for those of you who don't frequent the Modern Shite area:

41586860402_3aa7469d9f_b.jpg30713652_10214876576400869_5284572493816992275_n by paul.bottomley, on Flickr

40735169925_18f909cab6_b.jpg30708288_10214876576760878_8204047355873178666_n by paul.bottomley, on Flickr

And this is a Malt Loaf

42208011901_d9d8e05c63_c.jpg1200px-Malt_loaf by paul.bottomley, on Flickr

Mine has wheels leather seats and no fruity bits.

The plan is to drive from the superbly named Severn View Service on the M48, down round to lands end along the south coast and up the East coast... etc etc arriving back at the same services some hours later. 4500 miles give or take plumbed into the sat nav. 19 nights accommodation arranged.

There is a sponsorship page, but dont feel like you need to, this post is about me being as daft as a brush driving a Malt Loaf for fun first, charity whatever afterwards.
https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/skirting-the-edge

More the plans here:
https://www.annteak.com/2018/05/

Updates will be made most days once I am on the move, no doubt telling you how much I now hate the car, hate the sun, hate the sea and as or all those ice creams I think I may look like a cornetto.

Let us know when you land up in Scotland, sure we could cobble together a few shiters to meet you:)

Scotland is as follows:

Musselburgh

11th June arrive, leave the morning of the 12th

Peterhead

12th June arrive, Leave the morning of the 13th

Wick

13th June arrive, leave the morning of the 14th

Ullapool

14th June arrive, leave the morning of the 15th June

Ardnamurchan

15th june arrive, leave the monring of the 16th June

Cambeltown

16th June arrive, leave the monring of the 17th June

Mull of Gallway

17th June arrive, leave the morning of the 18th June

So, you're arriving in Scotland just in time to miss Shitefest? Darn.

Have fun. I do like a nice roadtrip.

Yes I seem to be missing loads of good things, driving right past them all.

Will be passing  your neck of the woods on the 21st, will make sure to keep windows up doors locked and keep looking ahead at all times.

If i see TWC i will wave mind.

Yes I seem to be missing loads of good things, driving right past them all.

Will be passing  your neck of the woods on the 21st, will make sure to keep windows up doors locked and keep looking ahead at all times.

If i see TWC i will wave mind.

If you see TWC, I'll be hounding you off my driveway! Probably. If you know timings once you're on the move, let me know and I might pop down. Get plenty of pics as well. A certain magazine might be interested...

You'll be passing within a couple of hundred yards of my place on leg 16 - in Broughton in Furness.

I've only been through Maryport (Scaryport) a couple of times, I imagine one night there will be enough!

Depending where you want to stop for a bite of lunch,

Gosforth - The pie shop is fantastic in Gosforth

Broughton in Furness (my village) - the village bakery or the Square cafe are both excellent

eddyramrod will know Barrow better than me

The coast road from Barrow to Ulverston is home to the world-famous* Roy's ices, a yellow ice cream van at the beach which has a large selection of excellent ice creams, recommended! There's a little cafe nearby too, I think there was a shiter meet there 4-5 years ago, shortly before I moved here.

Looks like a good trip!

Scotland is as follows:

Peterhead

12th June arrive, Leave the morning of the 13th

That is spectacularly bad planning. Shitefest is only about 50 miles south of Peterhead 2 days beforehand!

I may be able to swing past Peterhead on the evening of the 12th though, and Tayne is also in Aberdeen too. 17-Coffees is even closer to Peterhead but he works nights.

If me and Tayne turn up you'd get 2x BMW 3 series coupes, an E36 and an E46!

Maybe we could arrange a Solent Shiters minimeet to coincide with your trip past us. Mick's Monster Burgers on Portsdown Hill suggests itself again as a suitable location. If you need overnight accomodation, I can probably put you up on Hayling, but your plans to skip the M27 will make that challenging I think.

Thanks for offer but all accommodation sorted, I am staying in Eastbourne that night, but even if we don't meet up (as it would have to be a midweek lunchtime effort), the view from Portsdown Hill looks great (Mick's burgers is indeed Monster).  :mrgreen:

Wot no Norn Iron?

And you're going right through the ferryports of Stranraer and Cairnryan at the tail end of Leg 14.

Kettle's on if you change your mind! I'm only down the road from the Port of Larne...

Port of Larne is in Northern Ireland, I am not planning on crossing that bit of water.

Thanks for offer but all accommodation sorted, I am staying in Eastbourne that night, but even if we don't meet up (as it would have to be a midweek lunchtime effort), the view from Portsdown Hill looks great (Mick's burgers is indeed Monster). :mrgreen:

midweek lunchtime is not necessarily a problem with enough notice. What date will it be?

I live on the Eastbourne side of Bexhill so you will go right by my door at the start of leg 4. Happy for you to pop in for a cup of tea or coffee in the summerhouse. Alternatively I could ride in front of you on my bike at the Pevensey roundabout.

Gosforth - The pie shop is fantastic in Gosforth

It's good, but the one nearby in Seascale is slightly better, and Seascale is actually a coastal village. Gosforth, errrr, isn't. Got to get to this pie shop before midday though, otherwise builders working at Sellafield will have bought everything. It's opposite the Co-op.

There's also a decent ice cream shop in Seascale. Look out for the hotel facing the sea with a concrete cow outside. The ice cream shop's in the cellar of that building.