The second best thing out of Sweden.. I really hate exhausts

Simonsays

New spark plugs and air filter today. Oil and filter will have to wait till I can source the 86mm filter wrench. Unsurprisingly, bank holiday monday is not the best time to start looking.

Have you thought of these?:

post-3904-0-32113800-1527538210_thumb.jpeg

I've changed my oil and filters today and while the oil filter comes off by hand only, the retaining rimg on the diesel filter is an absolute bugger and only these will shift it.

A nightmare to get it to seal again too :(

Sump plug is stuck fast.

Much swearing and bonus skinned elbows and knuckles.

Its now partially rounded thanks to my ham fisted efforts. I ended up having to go to my local garage and 'fess up my incompetence. They're going to pela the oil out for me tomorrow and use the oil and filter I've already bought.

They didn't even take the piss out of me

Sooo...

Oil and filter changed.

Lots of green fluid noted on the engine under tray. Turns out the air con condenser has thrown a strop and withdrawn service. Replacement appears to involve dismantling a fair amount of the front of the vehicle. It's way beyond me so I'll just be living without cool air.

Despite these little niggles, the Volvo continues to drive very nicely.

Across two full tanks of petrol I've averaged 48mpg on my daily commute to work and back.

Which is bloody amazing for a 1.6 with 150k miles on it

Guest Hooli

I remember these new. Comfy seats but they were designed for a van so even on the lowest setting your sat in the roof.

T4s were fun as the chassis struggled with the 1.6 power*

I remember these new. Comfy seats but they were designed for a van so even on the lowest setting your sat in the roof.

T4s were fun as the chassis struggled with the 1.6 power*

Comfiest cars seats I've ever had the pleasure of sitting in. Even with 150k on them.

In other news, I think my exhaust may have arrived

post-25855-0-40764300-1529606008_thumb.jpg

Well done!

Exhaust work is one of those things I hate with a passion to the extent that I almost invariably just farm it out to someone else, cost be damned.

The system on a Saab 900 is dead simple, but every one I've worked on was an absolute swine...hence developing the view above!

The exhaust was still blowing a bit around the clamped interference join between the cat and middle bit even wirh the clamp done up bastard-tight.

Fitting it pretty much broke me physically and mentally and I just couldnt face crawling back under the car again in the current heatwave. No way.

So I called into my local Kwik Fit. I know they come in for plenty of criticism but they were great. Straight up onto the ramps, gave it the once over and pronounced it 99% good as was. They stuck a bit more paste over the join and everything settled down nicely as it hardened. Will it last? Who knows...

Price charged for 20 minutes on the ramps?

£0

I paid £79 for the two mahoosive sections of exhaust from ebay. Kwikfit said they would have charged £250ish to supply and fit the same.

*Smugface*

smugface covered in soot, rust and road dirt.

Doing your own exhaust is a world of pain unless you have your own fourpost hoist.

I agree with everything you've said here.

I'm sticking to my 'never again' statement in my earlier post! It really was an awful experience.

I'm just smug because I managed to do it without *totally* ballsing it up.

• 1 month later...

I took the Volvo out for a run early this morning. I've always thought it's performance was a bit mediocre tbh. Not really a problem as it's just been used round the doors on weekends and for tip runs. I've not really felt the need to push on with it.

Dry roads and no traffic at 0600 so I decided to open it up a bit. It was really quite suprising once you get the rpm up past 3000. It hustled along really nicely and the power steering/suspension setup all seemed to make more sense. It's never going to set the world on fire but it is capable of making me smile.

The bit of Italian tune up has also seemed to have opened up the engine a bit in the lower registers. It seems a bit more willing to get away from the lights.

Happy days

• 3 weeks later...