Rover R8 216/416 automatic

Ghosty

I keep saying I will, but then the longest I've had a car is 7 months... I really miss my R8 though, hence looking for another, and in high spec, to hold on to. I'm looking to acquire extra shite in time with the R8 being an incumbent/daily, but that can wait until I've finished uni/Old Man needs transport again/etc.

If I get another R8 I have no intention to sell it as they do everything I want a car to do well. 

Holding out for a high spec early car is a high risk strategy.  They don't come up often at all now and when they do they're either pricey and pristine, or ultrafucked.  I would hold out for the 1.6 with auto and a hatchback for what you use the car for, as nice as that saloon is they are pretty annoying when you want to put larger things in them, as I've found out with mine over the years.  You can just get a pushbike in the back seat, but it's not ideal, the hatchbacks you can drop a bike in much easier and the tourers (personal favourite) even easier still.

My 416 might be available sooner rather than later.

Will need a service and some service items doing but should have a full ticket.

It's not the best one to look at but a good project base.

Obviously as ever with me the above is subject to change.

Won't be much. Probably £350 or so.

My 416 might be available sooner rather than later.

Will need a service and some service items doing but should have a full ticket.

It's not the best one to look at but a good project base.

Obviously as ever with me the above is subject to change.

Won't be much. Probably £350 or so.

If you decide to sell I could well be interested, it's a starting point and D series service items are a piece of piss.

400s aren't that practical but it's cheap so would free up my money.

In the meantime I have a possible lead on a 216 through the owners club, but all I know is it's 1993, blue over grey, 68k with a cambelt 20k ago, runs well but occasionally stalls (experience says PCV or coil fault probably), and is 'very clean'.

No idea on location, no pics and price is 'offers' though so dont know what to expect really, might not go anywhere with it.

Huh, it is. Minehead and the description add up.

The seller was going to email me pics but seems to have got my email wrong and is now away from the computer for a few days.

£350 is a good price but it's pov spec, (not even velour, manual mirrors and sunroof) and it's bloody silver.

I'll have a think, do I really want to go to Minehead for that?

MOT history suggests it was welded last year. Weirdly the V5 also says it's blue. It's not!

Opinion: No, I don't want to go to Minehead for a base 216SLi. Bramz' 416 is more appealing and if he's selling I'll probably buy and keep it until a 200 comes along.

Sure thing. Just be aware it does need some stuff doing to it! I don't want to say it's a perfect runner.

I'd like it to be Henley but it isnt. I ran the reg of the car in the C&C advert (which the description matches what I was given by the seller) and the V5 came up blue even though the car is blatantly silver.

A purchase has been agreed anyway, collection caper is ten days away!

Good luck!

Rover did have two silvers, one was the very bright silver you normally see on Coupés and the other did have a slightly blue tint to it that was more obvious in low light but not as blue as the R8 you used to have.  The earlier cars did have some nicer colours available that the later ones didn't, that lovely dark metallic maroon, for example, that was replaced by Nightfire.  They also had two different versions of Flame Red for reasons known only to themselves.

Ah, that's good to know. To be fair it's a lottery what you get on a V5 with R8s, my old one had 'SILVER/GREY' on the V5 or something, it all depends who sold the car new etc. You can even get 'multicolour'.

The more I think about it, the happier I am to know I'll be back in an R8.

Rover did have two silvers, one was the very bright silver 

White Diamond

the other did have a slightly blue tint to it that was more obvious in low light

Quicksilver 2

They also had two different versions of Flame Red for reasons known only to themselves

There were three Nightfires too!

White Diamond

I'm looking in a 400 Tourer brochure - this is listed as a solid colour so I think it's just white. The silver was Platinum Silver.

(the other colours are BRG, Charcoal, Pearlescent Nightfire Red and Pearlescent Tahiti Blue (that's the dark one)).

Guest Hooli

Do classic policies preserve NCD?

You can lodge your NCD with them. Basicly it doesn't go stale then as when you want a normal policy they'll do you a letter that says 'Ghosty joined us with 2 years NCD and hasn't had a claim since'. I've done it a couple of times over the years & never had an issue. I've always needed to ask them to lodge it though.