Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1600E What is the modern equivalent?

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   JeeExEll

JeeExEll

• Full Members
  • 2,778 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationA figment of my own imagination.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:46 AM

History is littered with these -

2 Door saloon cars were the povvo option until BMW decided they could be called coupe and charged even more for despite the lack of doors

Absolutely. How cool is this? 1600E 2-door.
ZaDn6NG.jpg
wqmvOLy.jpg

Interesting site for anyone interested in Mk2s, it's a Lotus info site but Cortina geeks could hide in here for weeks.
http://www.lotuscort...m/?page_id=3704
  • danthecapriman, FakeConcern and clayts450 like this

#62 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,876 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 17 May 2018 - 01:58 PM

The ultimate Ford ‘E’ model for me is the Cortina mk3. I like the mk2 but never even half as much as the 3,4 or 5 ‘Tina’s. I sound like a broken record player, but to me the mk3 was and still is an absolutely superb looking car even in basic spec. E it up and it’s just epic! Though a GXL wouldn’t be far off the mark for me either!
Probably the rarest Ford E must be the Capri 3000E? Rare as fook and very valuable now if you can find a real one.

Back to the original Q, I’d probably agree, BMW 3 series.
Fords aren’t like they were (for better or worse!) back in the good old days Ford created and lived well off of all their little options packages, extras and so on, they did it very very well and you could tell who the cheapskates were and who flashed the cash just from a glance at the car. You could create pretty much whatever you wanted if you could afford it for whatever model you wanted. Ford Capri GTXLR anyone!?
That was lost in the 80’s and 90’s though.
My dad’s 60 reg Mondeo is a Titanium X estate, it’s a bloody nice car and very well specced but somehow it’s not the same.
  • warren t claim and FakeConcern like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#63 OFFLINE   FakeConcern

FakeConcern

• Full Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationSunny Sussex

Posted 17 May 2018 - 07:56 PM

A couple of other Cortinas I remember, a man over the road from us had an aubergine Mk2 Savage, he showed me and my dad the engine bay once, pretty impressive! Anyone know if these were based on a 1600E?

Years later my FIL replaced his V8 Rover P6 with a Mk5 2.3 V6 that was always going wrong. I remember taking him and MIL to Norfolk in my 1275gt because it wasn't working!

#64 ONLINE   Paul Dupart

Paul Dupart

• Full Members
  • 476 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationA man so large, he barely fit his circumstances..

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:46 PM

Another car of the era that comes to mind is the Humber Sceptre (Hunter shape).  Maybe if that had been given wider rims and a sports steering wheel, it would have been a serious competitor...

• FakeConcern likes this

#65 ONLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,876 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

Marina TC? Lots of hate for them but I’d love one!
  • Paul Dupart and FakeConcern like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#66 ONLINE   CortinaDave

CortinaDave

• Full Members
  • 3,187 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • Locationfloating somewhere between Fife and Aberdeen

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:14 PM

Fords arent lusted after now in the way they were then, or even when i was in my teens in the 90s when an Orion 1600 Injection Ghia was king of the carpark in my eyes.

The Cool Dad choice that also appeals to the acne brigade (which is where the 1600E was really) has to be some kind of big alloyed Golf these days.
  • danthecapriman, warren t claim and FakeConcern like this
Current Shite:
79 T Ford Cortina 2.0S
02 52 MG ZT 160 V6

#67 ONLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,368 posts
  • 68 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:26 PM

What about the new Mustang 2.3 ecoboost? Yes it is a fast car, but its a striking car. Plus loved by many and hated by few. Plus they're about the same on finance as a 320d estate.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#68 OFFLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 6,605 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:43 PM

A couple of other Cortinas I remember, a man over the road from us had an aubergine Mk2 Savage, he showed me and my dad the engine bay once, pretty impressive! Anyone know if these were based on a 1600E?
Years later my FIL replaced his V8 Rover P6 with a Mk5 2.3 V6 that was always going wrong. I remember taking him and MIL to Norfolk in my 1275gt because it wasn't working!

I'm pretty sure you could have a Savage version of any Mk2, logically if you were going to spend all that money an E would make more sense. I've seen Savage estates and Crayford's , which couldn't have been Es and even a Savage Lotus, which seems a bit pointless, unless it was converted as a used car and the twink had blown up.
  • FakeConcern likes this

#69 OFFLINE   NorfolkNWeigh

NorfolkNWeigh

• Full Members
  • 6,605 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:56 PM

Mention of V6 mk4 and 5( or 80s, for the pedantic) reminds me that they and the subsequent Sierra and Mondeo V6s, always had a certain Council House Prestige about them . I had a T reg 2.3 Ghia auto that was slower than a 2.0 manual, but felt and sounded lovely, likewise Mrs N had 3 different 2.3 Sierra Ghias and all three were sold at a nice profit without even trying, just by people coming up to her and asking to buy them. Should have kept the immaculate red manual one, it had aircon and pepperpots, on an A so had the thicker carpets,piped seats and felt lined cubbies that disappeared with the 85 cost cutting facelift.

Never owned one but a Mk2 GhiaX V6 Mondeo saloon with the chromed 15" Scorpio alloys and leather was a proper 1990's 1600 E.
  • danthecapriman and FakeConcern like this

#70 OFFLINE   FakeConcern

FakeConcern

• Full Members
  • 1,596 posts
  • 10 thanks
  • LocationSunny Sussex

Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:35 PM

Golf R/ Audi S3 Sportback/Focus ST. probably.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Golf R is the spiritual successor if not the modern equivalent. It gets stolen frequently and is desired by teens and 50 somethings alike (as said by NorfolkNWeigh), but perhaps the emphisis is a bit too much on performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users