"The Vehicle Finder" for film work?

dieselnutjob

One of my neighbours just came and asked me about "The Vehicle Finder" who is trying to borrow his Peugeot 307 SW for film work.

He's worried that it might be a scam.

The bloke said that he had dealt with me concerning borrowing my 604, but to be honest I don't have anything more than the vaguest recollection of this.

The story is that they already have a 307 SW which is basically identical to the neighbours' and they need another that's the same for switching between shots and whatnot.

I think he said that the film company is in Epping.

Anyone on here know about this?  I seem to remember some discussions many years ago.

It seems like an awful lot of effort and risk if the objective is to nick a 307 or do a bank/murder with it so my instinct is that it's legit. 

I'd ask for a £5K deposit in cash, to be returned if the car comes back undamaged.  I'd want to see passports and bank statements and insurance certificates and have details of the Ltd company, I was dealing with, and I'd want £150 a day.  

Where's Fred Transit, when you need her?

Doesn't SixCylinder do a it of film work, he might know of them.

I'm always surprised how bad continuity etc with regard to film and TV cars is, even these days when you'd think Chargers with 17 hubcaps and R reg Mk1 Capris had taught them how stupid these things can make a production look.

I recently watched the BBC 's drama Keeping Faith and the heroine was using an immaculately and freshly polished old C Class estate in almost every other scene- never got dirty even when it was flying around muddy Welsh lanes in the pouring rain, except when they used what was obviously the backup car- same colour, but only half leather and dusty inside and out, it also had a dented tailgate. This was used for random scenes throughout the series.

I'm always surprised how bad continuity etc with regard to film and TV cars is, even these days when you'd think Chargers with 17 hubcaps and R reg Mk1 Capris had taught them how stupid these things can make a production look.

I have been banned (by pretty much everyone I know) from commenting either during or after about the numerous fuck-ups in TV and films :)

and don't get me started on UK-set courtroom dramas with people shouting "objection" in 'em.

Doesn't SixCylinder do a it of film work, he might know of them.

I fell into it with one company who for many years did Land Rover work for me. Father passed the business to son who changed it into a film car supply company and asked for pictures of my cars to get going. Dan has had a few of my cars, while it is a bit of fun there is no real money in it and there are always issues such as short notice, cancelled bookings and minor damage. I am ok with it but they never have provided any nice photos or anything.  If more comes fine but if it doesn't I don't feel it is a big loss.

http://dansactionvehicles.co.uk/

The photo is from a music video with "The 1975"

post-4787-0-02330800-1526648218_thumb.jpg

Have you made an offer yet?

If not, why not?

I have never actually saved a car.  I have bought cars and used them, usually for many many years, but I don't think I have ever finished one better than I started it.  I would really like to restore or significantly improve one car in my lifetime (which is now a good way through).

This is a hard thing to achieve.

Therefore I have to focus like a laser on this task.

Consequently I have three automotive projects that I must concentrate on:-

1. Daily driver for me.  I really like the XJ so the objective is to try to make it deteriorate with use as slowly as possible, so basically good maintenance.

2. Daily driver for SWMBO.  She really likes her Hippo (mk1 Freelander) and as it's a good cheap car it makes sense to keep it going.

3. Restore the 604.  This is a huge amount of effort which is currenly involving me rebuilding my garage.

A crashed 307 does not fit into this schema.