Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Nurburgring track

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,584 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:09 PM

Anyone else want to see DW take the Invacar?

No not really! Unless the track was closed especially for it. Otherwise it's likely we'd see a Porsche badge imprinted into back of the fibreglass or it squashed under a flipped Mégane RS.
  • The Reverend Bluejeans and johngarty like this
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#62 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 7,584 posts
  • 70 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

I'd love to go but chatting to a colleague at work has put me totally off. He said that the Brits are notorious over there. Not helped by the vast majority of our insurers actually providing insurance to drive on the road - despite it being a public road. You can see there is no run offs at all, but its even more apparent when on the road.

If you make a mistake, you're almost certainly going to go in hard. Even if you manage to escape heroically* it's likely someone else will hit you anyway.
Current Fleet:
1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
2007 Honda Civic EX CTDi - The reliable runner that is like the family pet.
2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying

My history: 2003 Clio II 1.2 16v (First car), 2003 Honda Civic 3dr 1.7 CTDi (Isuzu lump), 1992 Mazda MX5 1.6, 2005 Mazda RX8 192bhp, 2005 Saab 9-3 1.9TiD 150bhp, 2007 Honda Civic 2.2 CTDi, 2004 Renault Scenic 1.6 Auto (Now Kiltox FiL), 2004 Saab 9-5 2.3t (Now Hooli), 2004 Smart Roadster 80bhp
Wife history (that she used/owned but I had frequent use of): 2002 Renault Clio II 1.2 16v (Billabong!), 2006 Mazda MX5 1.8, 2004 VW Golf 1.6 FSI, 2005 Renault Scenic II 2.0 (went bad from the drive back when buying it!), 2002 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 16v (now phil_lihp ex-colleague), 2005 Renault Laguna II v6 (Now angle)

#63 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

He's a right bastard.

• Full Members
  • 7,655 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationSheffield On Thames.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:16 AM

Comparing the Ring with other tracks is futile.
The Ring is a standalone in history and sadly also tragedy.

There is a tree at Hohe Acht that should have been planted elsewhere, for all I care.
I went back to it after I was released from hospital and nailed a silver badge to it.
It reads: This is my tree. Do not reuse!

Also, the tourist driving sessions are timed bridge to gantry, since the main straight cannot be drive at full speed due to the entry/exit.
A lap is thus about a mile shorter than during a race. I used to do sub 8 minute race laps in the late Eighties.

My fastest was 9.45 in a 318Ti VLN car. I was so pleased until the owner did it a minute faster.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

1989 F  730i. Prestigious.

1994 M 318Ti - Track whore

1998 S 323iA Touring. More shit.

​We apologise for the continued delay. Your call is still held in a queue. Please have your reference number ready for the advisor. Your call will be answered as soon as possible.

#64 OFFLINE   johngarty

johngarty

• Full Members
  • 584 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:21 AM

No not really! Unless the track was closed especially for it. Otherwise it's likely we'd see a Porsche badge imprinted into back of the fibreglass or it squashed under a flipped Mégane RS.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: lets get a crowdfunding page setup to make this happen

• HarmonicCheeseburger likes this

#65 ONLINE   Talbot

Talbot

Express

• Full Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • Locationdowel.

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:08 AM

I would agree with an earlier comment about how safe modernz appear to be in terms of protecting over-enthusiastic drivers from themselves and I'd hazard a guess that the manufacturers could get a lot of useful crash test data from those real life scenarios than running things off-set into concrete posts at 30mph.

Surely part of the reason that the vast majority of Modernz are so much safer and stronger, and protect their occupants is *because* manufacturers have been running things off-set into concrete posts at 30mph for so long now?

The prospect of driving on the Nurburgring is a very interesting one to me. The prospect of driving on the Nurburgring (or indeed any track at all) with the absurd mix of vehicles and capabilities that exists there frightens me silly.

Oh look, there's a 2CV / Coach / other absurdly slow vehicle right in front of me and I can't easily pass.

Oh look, there's a complete wanker in an Audi/BMW/Porsche 3" from my rear bumper, travelling about 50mph faster than me.

*huge fucking crash*
Current fleet:  Mercedes.  Xantia.  Berlingo.  Discovery.  Forward Control.  Nova. Historic shite.

#66 OFFLINE   BavarianRetro

BavarianRetro

• Full Members
  • 1,582 posts
  • 12 thanks

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:56 AM

Only to the nearest EMR.
  • The Reverend Bluejeans likes this

#67 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 26,608 posts
  • 63 thanks

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

DW does not want to see this. I'd love to take the 2CV around, but only if they had a 'no more than 40bhp' session. Similarly, I'd love a sub-40bhp track day in the UK too.

• chaseracer, Lacquer Peel, chodweaver and 1 other like this

1972 Invacar Model 70, 1984 Reliant Fox

1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1990 Dacia 1310

2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twitter

#68 OFFLINE   LightBulbFun

LightBulbFun

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 47 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:57 AM

ok so its not in real life but its worth a watch until someone does actually drag a 2cv/invacar to the NR  :mrgreen:

• wuvvum, chaseracer, Danterzza and 2 others like this

#69 OFFLINE   HarmonicCheeseburger

HarmonicCheeseburger

• Full Members
  • 884 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationRawtenstall

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:04 AM

DW does not want to see this. I'd love to take the 2CV around, but only if they had a 'no more than 40bhp' session. Similarly, I'd love a sub-40bhp track day in the UK too.

They should do a three wheeler challenge, under 40bhp, all drivers dressed as a Loony Tunes character.

• LightBulbFun likes this

1994 K11 1.0 CVT Micra - Spent way more then needed but loving it :)

#70 ONLINE   jonny69

jonny69

• Full Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:24 AM

Shitespotters paradise pre NCAP.
https://youtu.be/0xwc54G2Ur8

One of my all time favourite videos!

Something to take away from that video is how nice it must be to roll a Beetle, uh, compared to other cars :D

b5dySaj.jpg

Also seen as Kinnock

#71 OFFLINE   5speedracer

5speedracer

• Full Members
  • 602 posts
  • 3 thanks

Posted 14 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

I'd like to be taken round in a "Ring taxi", see how it should be done.

Been twice on a TDM900, first time c/w panniers and topbox, 2006 I think. Even a year later prices had hiked a lot and the "this is a laugh" feel had gone. Glad I did it though!

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
  • The Reverend Bluejeans likes this

#72 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,045 posts
  • 16 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:31 PM

ok so its not in real life but its worth a watch until someone does actually drag a 2cv/invacar to the NR  :mrgreen:

https://youtu.be/poPYUm3iu0o

That was excellent!
  • LightBulbFun likes this
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#73 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

He's a right bastard.

• Full Members
  • 7,655 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:31 AM

The prospect of driving on the Nurburgring is a very interesting one to me. The prospect of driving on the Nurburgring (or indeed any track at all) with the absurd mix of vehicles and capabilities that exists there frightens me silly.

Oh look, there's a 2CV / Coach / other absurdly slow vehicle right in front of me and I can't easily pass.

Oh look, there's a complete wanker in an Audi/BMW/Porsche 3" from my rear bumper, travelling about 50mph faster than me.

*huge fucking crash*

You’ve got the idea.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

​We apologise for the continued delay. Your call is still held in a queue. Please have your reference number ready for the advisor. Your call will be answered as soon as possible.

#74 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:06 AM

Been there a few times to watch - seen some fairly daft (i.e. wholly avoidable) crashes occur. I've no desire to ride around their either*. The roads around the area are great though, and pretty much empty during the day.

I used to do quite a few trackdays on bikes, but dont enjoy them anymore, preferring the deserted roads in most of Europe. The only trackday i do now is the BSB one at Blyton Park near Gainsborough, mainly for the instruction given. Proper instructors, no just blokes in hi viz vests wanting to race their mates all day.

*A total lie......

2005 Saab 9-5 with 300 bhp thanks to Noobtune, Abbott and Maptun.
1999 Mingebag Mercedes, given up on it, so SOLD

1994 Citroen AX Dimension, my winter bike. SOLD.

#75 ONLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 9,768 posts
  • 108 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

Blyton Park near Gainsborough

I had no idea that place existed! Been out round that way lots & never seen any signs.

#76 ONLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 11,796 posts
  • 24 thanks

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:44 PM

Will a 2CV really do 65 in third?  I've obviously been short-shifting then...

#77 OFFLINE   Jerzy Woking

Jerzy Woking

• Full Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationNorth Essex

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:57 PM

I had no idea that place existed! Been out round that way lots & never seen any signs.

Nice circuit worth checking out. 1.6 miles round, well surfaced, good run off on most corners, and fast. The British Superbike School use it, and they have some great instructors there. they only put 12 out on the circuit at once, 3 riders to each instructor. They don't care what bike you ride either.

https://britishsuperbikeschool.com/

Maybe we should have an AS bike trackday?

• yellowperil likes this

2005 Saab 9-5 with 300 bhp thanks to Noobtune, Abbott and Maptun.
1999 Mingebag Mercedes, given up on it, so SOLD

1994 Citroen AX Dimension, my winter bike. SOLD.

#78 OFFLINE   The Reverend Bluejeans

The Reverend Bluejeans

He's a right bastard.

• Full Members
  • 7,655 posts
  • 37 thanks

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:09 AM

I've done two Blyton trackdays as I get invited for the charity event in August. It's a good circuit with loads of run off and it's a lot more challenging than you'd imagine. I went to the classic Mini event 2 weeks ago, ace.

Car broken? Leave it there and get it recovered later.

MASTER RACE MOTORS.

#79 OFFLINE   Junkman

Junkman

Totally and properly Renault R16!

• Full Members
  • 42,500 posts
  • 51 thanks
  • LocationStockport, England

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

So far it was said that the 'Ring is unpredictable, dangerous, overhyped and many other things. And I hate it.

There is a track not too far from it, that is grossly underhyped, even more unpredictable, has an even bigger altitude change

and like no other is able to separate the men from the boys. Spa Francorchamps. And I love it as much as I hate the 'Ring.

• Barry Cade., The Reverend Bluejeans and Supernaut like this

1967 Renault 16 GL............................................now with floor and MoT

1979 Mobylette AV89............................................................running
1997 Peugeot 405 2.0 Executive Estate.................now with aircon and brakes

#80 OFFLINE   martybabes

martybabes

• Full Members
  • 345 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationJust off the B4070

Posted 18 May 2018 - 11:09 PM

I've been to The Ring twice and driven it once.  There are some really good spectating points where you can spend all day and watch others crash.

VW Touran - the daily driver (for the dog and grandchildren)

BMW 750i - the non-daily driver (for special occasions)

#81 OFFLINE   Craig the Princess

Craig the Princess

• Full Members
  • 3,579 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 19 May 2018 - 07:23 AM

We went round in an Allegro. One very slow lap in pouring rain was enough but I'd like to go again.

Filtered through the Heather!

#82 OFFLINE   Danterzza

Danterzza

• Full Members
  • 3,175 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDerby

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

36364f972a5d798c5cb8b98b1a2ed78d.jpg

Well I didn’t die.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Craig the Princess, SiC and HarmonicCheeseburger like this

#83 OFFLINE   HarmonicCheeseburger

HarmonicCheeseburger

• Full Members
  • 884 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationRawtenstall

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:14 PM

Could we see TWC take on Oulton Park then? 

1994 K11 1.0 CVT Micra - Spent way more then needed but loving it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users