Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Sportys French fruitcake. (slightly less) wobbly box. SMOLL update

Project

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   sporty-shite

sporty-shite

Knobjockey

• Full Members
  • 2,976 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationOver here

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:11 PM

Keeper?

Probably, yes.

Upper gearbox rubber was replaced at the same time as the main top engine mount. I thought the dog bone was ok too so didn't change it. I didn't know there was another mount and can't quite place it from the picture.

Both Me and Neil were discussing this the other day as it is quite a bit (a lot) faster the the current shit 182 that arrived. 

Have you a friendly tester for the decat pipe?

I also didin't realise there was another mount, which is why I thought the dogbone was the fault. This mount is at the front of the box, and bolts to the subframe.

I'm considering having a dyno run, just out of curiosity, because there's a small optimistic part of me that think ot may have fast cams in it, hence the lumpy idle, and would really ,ove to see a good figure.

Hopefully, I can get it tested sans cat. If not, I'll probably see about getting a cheap used one for the test.

• The Moog likes this

some potato headed fanny faced shitberg of a cunt in a silver hatchback

#32 OFFLINE   sporty-shite

sporty-shite

Knobjockey

• Full Members
  • 2,976 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationOver here

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:20 PM

Also did another important MOD

42564054741_33dccb590b_b.jpg2018-06-04_07-02-59 by Chris France, on Flickr

And found this incoming vs. outgoing picture. Waft:bonkers ratio is off the scale.

40170582690_f8a9c0148a_b.jpg20180508_105717 by Chris France, on Flickr

• The Moog, dome and Dave_Q like this

#33 OFFLINE   warren t claim

warren t claim

• Full Members
  • 9,474 posts
  • 13 thanks
  • LocationOn the hard shoulder in 1985 slipping Fuegobird a length.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 10:26 PM

I remember buying one of these from Carcraft on finance back in 2009 and showing it off on the Overclockers forum.

Warren T Claim said, "I'd rather find blood on my toilet paper than a hybrid on my driveway".

#34 OFFLINE   Tickman

Tickman

• Full Members
  • 1,932 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationDundee

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:06 PM

I'm considering having a dyno run, just out of curiosity, because there's a small optimistic part of me that think ot may have fast cams in it, hence the lumpy idle, and would really ,ove to see a good figure.

That was my train of thought with it, especially compared to the 182 which can certainly pick itself up and go.

Yours left quite a few track cars behind on the straight at Knockhill, I was moving over to let them pass and they just kept getting further away in the mirror, it was a new experience for me!

• sporty-shite, The Moog and dome like this

1968 Morris Minor 1000
1972 Triumph Toledo
1985 Reliant Scimitar SS1
1986 Talbot Express Camper

1988 Peugeot 205 (Chuck's)
2001 Renault Clio (Meg's)
2003 Skoda Octavia

#35 OFFLINE   sporty-shite

sporty-shite

Knobjockey

• Full Members
  • 2,976 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • LocationOver here

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:35 AM

Small update. No pictures.

Bought polybushes for the dogbone. Fitted them leading to small improvement, but vibration still present.

Had it MOT'd.

Bought used front gearbox mount, as I was struggling to find a reasonable priced new one. Fitted this, and also shimmed it up a few mm, as I had read that this can prevent exhaust banging on subframe. Small improvement, but vibration still there.

Next: I've got a used (cheap) powerflex top mount insert on it's way. I'll probably have to get a new front gearbox mount, and also shim it a bit more. Also going to invest in polybushes for front arms, and investigate minor exhaust rattle from rear of car (suspect loose heatshield). Oh, and replace the few bits of missing trim, and the parcel shelf.

It hurts me to say that, at the moment, this car is irritating me, simply because I can't seem to get rid of this vibration. Going to keep trying, though.

• dome likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users