Boring TDI: remapping and vegging

Lacquer Peel

£9.68 for a wire of your very own.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPPS-V13-02-Interface-VAG-USB-Cable-OBDII-OBD2-Ecu-Flasher-VW-AUDI-BMW-Citroen/173297929539?hash=item28595c8d43:g:o0MAAOSwUMBa6W~M

I reckon a man with your taste in cars should learn the dark arts of mapping, I did do a thread on it somewhere showing more or less what to do. 

£9.68 for a wire of your very own.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MPPS-V13-02-Interface-VAG-USB-Cable-OBDII-OBD2-Ecu-Flasher-VW-AUDI-BMW-Citroen/173297929539?hash=item28595c8d43:g:o0MAAOSwUMBa6W~M

I reckon a man with your taste in cars should learn the dark arts of mapping, I did do a thread on it somewhere showing more or less what to do.

I've already shared some of your wisdom:)

I downloaded the correct software. Time to break the clutch.

The clutch remains intact.

I changed the air and pollen filters today. The old pollen filter was about three times as heavy as the new one, I'm not sure if it's only because it's a "premium brand" Mann vs. an off brand Alco.

Also changed the crappy wipers for new ones (not aeroblade).

More excitingly* I had a play with altering the ECU map, my first effort was okay but it didn't have the punch I was after, the second effort after upping some of the values is much better but it still feels a bit flat at higher revs. The ECU might be holding it back a bit because the thermostat is gubbed.

09139530f2f159506357f593e2433604.jpg

557364b5ffe1b1ef18bc5b0e77bd8429.jpg

Running cold won't help, although it shouldn't make that much difference.

These do have several sets of each map eg about 5 smoke limiters for different temperatures, have you changed them all?

You can send me your file if you want me to have a quick look.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I'm supposed to be driving this to France next month. There's not much in the way of service history but I can still make out the faded Gates logo on the timing belt, I'm sure it'll be fine*.
It drives fine except for a slight hum at cruising speeds and Premium Car* trim rattles. It runs like a great on a mix of veg and a splash of petrol.

I like VAG diesels, which I know goes against convention. I don't like the regular cambelt changes that are needed though. My 2001 Audi A4 B5 needed them every 60k. Do you know if this been done?

Just seen your comments, forget the above. I haven't done the one on my Sharan (1.9 115bhp PD) which causes me some concern but it's done 220k and it would cost the same amount as the car is worth so I keep chancing it.

France isnt that far, if you start from southern England.

Do you live in southern England?

14eeba1d370a3a3f43cbc85b4666ee0f.jpg

No

Remapping is of interest. Know anything about PD remaps, how to do them and the likely effect on insurance? Asking for a friend*....

I think the process is the same if yours has an EDC15 ECU. It's really easy. I can give you a run through via PM but Dave_Q and 320touring know more. A professional* remap for economy* doesn't hurt your insurance premium much.

Just getting to dover is the long and boring bit. When I went I Barcelona it was a day and a night just to to get off the county.

I changed the timing belt on my a4 tdi at 100k and the mechanic said it was barely holding on. He could have been saying that for dramatic effect of course.

Pity you arent taking the old van....if you have a commercial vehicle and ask them very nicely you can get on the Rosyth to Zeebrugge freight ferry. Booking is a massive hassle and on board its not a normal passenger ferry with stuff to do, just a super basic cabin and a common room that you might have to share with truck drivers. Last time I went I was literally the only passenger on board and it was a very surreal experience.

Its an overnight crossing and while its not cheap, by the time you add up the cost of fuel through Englandshire, food, hotel etc then its still dearer, but IMO worth paying to save a days driving especially as the motorways turn to literal hell south of Carlisle.

That sounds like an interesting experience. I'd go for that over driving through England to be fair.

My costs won't be high; free veg in the fuel tank, no hotels, bring our own food.

This all hinges on French administration and bureaucracy mind, my girlfriend is still waiting for her passport.

This whole thread interests me greatly add I too have a VE pumped pre PD engine albeit of the 110bhp variety.

It pulls pretty well anyway but it could do with some sort of economy* remap of course.

Not going to be run on veg either but I think another 30 horses and torques would do it no harm at all. Clutch looked good when I swapped out the box a few months back but I'm playing timing belt roulette. I do have a spare engine though so maybe*worth the gamble. Swapping the engine looks pretty easy in fairness should the worst happen.