ShiteRiders' Reliant Robin thread. Projects for sale, not mine though...

ShiteRider

Do like a reliant, of any description.

Are the engines in these generally erm.... Reliable?

What's the usual engine conversion on them....if you didn't want silly power I imagine something like a Honda CB500 inline Twin with 50 or 60 bhp would go well enough without being too over the top. Sequential gearbox too

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

There isn't a std conversion as such,a standard Rialto in fine fettle with brave pilot will see the wrong side of 95 as it is,0-60 in around 12 seconds.They are very easy to tune,my favourite blue mk2 Robin i tweaked with matched manifolds,4 branch exhaust,electric fan and carb mods and was frighteningly quick.

Bike gearboxes rarely have reverse though.  Contrary to the urban myth, Reliant gearboxes do.

Reliants always had reverse in the box.

But many years ago you (me) could drive one at 16 years old on a motor cycle licence.

Providing it had no reverse.

It was common practice to blank the reverse off with a flat bar across the hole in the tunnel.

By pulling heavily on the lever against the bar reverse was still obtainable, by distorting the tunnel.

I did once drive a Gordon 3 wheeler with no reverse. 2 stroke engine attached where you would expect a passenger door.

Kick start it from the nearside, walk round and get in at drivers door. Was a pain if you stalled it.

Reliants always had reverse in the box.

But many years ago you (me) could drive one at 16 years old on a motor cycle licence.

Providing it had no reverse.

It was common practice to blank the reverse off with a flat bar across the hole in the tunnel.

By pulling heavily on the lever against the bar reverse was still obtainable, by distorting the tunnel.

I did once drive a Gordon 3 wheeler with no reverse. 2 stroke engine attached where you would expect a passenger door.

Kick start it from the nearside, walk round and get in at drivers door. Was a pain if you stalled it.

I'm old, but not that old  :-D .  I started driving in 1967 (moped/motorcycle) and got my first Reliant in 1973, driving it on my full motorcycle licence.  The barred reverse gear law for drivers of tricycles who only had a motorcycle licence was gone in 1963.

Oooh reliant lickers! Can you make me rich* plz?

Every month or so I get somebody ask can you make a pool ball gear knob for my robin m8? So I say sure tell me the thread size and I'll do it. It's then radio silence as none of them know how to use a thread gauge. From pics above it's the same as a mini, 5/16" unc?

It was a common belief I think that reverse still had to be blanked off though. I still get asked now if my trike has reverse blanked and was asked a lot when I had my robin. My trike is getting an electric fan fitted and four branch manifold. Already has inlet mods done I think,or could be the spare inlet manifold I have.

Nice to see tripods being enjoyed, an 84 year old up the road from me still has his, never owned anything else since he got married in the Fifties and hung up his Belstaffs.   

Think the Bond Minicar had its Dynastart configured to run the engine backwards to get around the reverse gear nonsense! 

First thing first, the granada in the background isn't for sale. Long story short, as i'm a penis i'm currently top bidder on a red mk1 van.

This one to be precise.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F283053315417

Thing is i'm not a total penis in as much i've actually been and looked it and I think it could be a good project for someone. I couldn't look underneath as flat tyres, undergrowth and my favourite t-shirt conspired against me but as it's pre galvanized chassis and has spent 15 years in a collapsed rotten wooden shed I'd say the chassis will probably need welding. The bonnet is currently not attached and looking at the state on the engine hasn't been in place for some time.

Body wise it seems good though, theres no accident damage and no obvious areas of crazing or previous paint. The drivers door doesn't shut great, but there doesn't feel like there's loads of play in the hinges so maybe just wants adjusting up.

The engine is fucked

The interior is a bit of a mess, hard to tell though as its full of cobwebs and general shit.

There is a second car though, as yet unadvertised, that seems mechanically sound but with a crap body. Being a late car it should have a galv chassis, it does have a decent red top (not c20xe unfortunately) with a new gearbox, fuel pump and battery. They are both hard to get pictures of as they're both up against walls.

In an ideal world i'd have both, and make one good car out the pair. Realistically i've not the time or space as i've already got more cars than I can deal with.

They are a mile up a narrow country road, you could get a lwb van up,but a car trailer would struggle/get stuck I think that might be the deal breaker for some. I've never met the guy before today but he seems a good bloke. I can pass on deets via pm.post-5712-0-44927400-1531585570_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-77230500-1531585608_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-32631500-1531585652_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-45728300-1531585703_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-75522700-1531585733_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-44355900-1531585772_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-69361800-1531585801_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-66226000-1531585845_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-23235100-1531585874_thumb.jpgpost-5712-0-58886900-1531585928_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...