Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6

Jim Bell

Long car is long.

post-5435-0-01380100-1525770992_thumb.jpg

Getting back in this thing this morning with a clear head, there are some issues to be investigated. Bit of a drone once up to speed from the drivers front wheel. Bit of a clonking from the back end over bumps. Sounds like the back box to me so hopefully just a new rubber. The stereo seems to function fine BUT the maximum volume is at a level that Id expect it to be at about mid range on the knob. Fine if youre pootling or sat idling but too quiet to be heard at national road speeds. Very odd. Ride is also on the bouncy side. I may just be being a bit picky with that one and am prone to bouts of buyers remorse so hopefully all niggles can be put right with minimum fettle.

Is the stereo one of those the Japanese loved back then that changes volume as the speed increases? If so, there is a way to adjust the levels but you would have to read the manual 'cos I can't remember!

Is the stereo one of those the Japanese loved back then that changes volume as the speed increases? If so, there is a way to adjust the levels but you would have to read the manual 'cos I can't remember!

Id not thought of that because I didnt know it was a thing. It certainly doesnt do it, but ill scope out the manual and see if its a feature dude.

That is a spectacular purchase.

Stereo wise, I notice on one of the interior shots it says Active Speaker. Could it be it has a separate power supply which isn't working and so you are getting only "Passive" speaker power and therefore a much reduced volume? Speculation on my part only.

Guest Hooli

Stereo wise, I notice on one of the interior shots it says Active Speaker. Could it be it has a separate power supply which isn't working and so you are getting only "Passive" speaker power and therefore a much reduced volume? Speculation on my part only.

That could make sense with the lack of power to the windows too, car companies love to put stupid things together on one fuse to annoy us.

I hadnt thought of that either. Good point well made there fella.

Sacking work off tomorrow and Im gonna start inspecting fuses.

Guest Hooli

Most amps for speakers are switched on/off with a lead from the headunit, much like leccy ariels. So you might find a fuse hidden behind the dash for it, I've seen fuses on the back of head units for the power out lead before.

That brings back some very happy memories from about fifteen years ago when I had a red SEL model.

post-117-0-68061600-1525784028_thumb.jpg

The overriding memories are of the brilliant engine, like a steam train, and it had a fantastic stereo (although mine had a CD player so may have been a different model).  I didn't much like the ride actually, I think bouncy is quite a good description.  Weak spots are exhaust manifold (seized bolts especially) and, funnily enough, window regulators as I recall.  Don't think the 'box had any particular issues.  I would love a smoke in that.

They’re a nice car and beige suits them. One of the more common colours too as this one is the third I’ve come across in that colour, with the only other ones being a white one and of course my own grey one.

Parts are very easy to come by in America as they were popular over there and in terms of mechanical bits I’ve never had an issue getting what I need through my usual motor factor.

Marketed as the ‘four door sports car’ as has been mentioned before

23PZ9Im.jpg

I think they have a proper JDM look to them and they can be made to look pretty cool. I don’t think I could part with mine to be honest

AnjOuDM.jpg

sRYCPca.jpg

4EAT! 4EAT! 4EAT! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! (*rocks back and forth). 

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (breathes) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (abridged).

For the love of christ make sure it's nice and cool and has fresh ATF. 

Otherwise, a canny buy,  m9. 

Some impossibly dark window tint film, gold *Dayton's and hydraulics, you too could be a 'dopeman' or a 'hustler' working his way up to a '64 impala.

Drinking '40's, running hoes, a drive-by or two, you is a real playa, G.

*Lorenzo's if you follow the more wholesome rap of the fresh prince

Haha love it!

O Dogg would be a fan. “Ohh shit! Look at the mother fuckin’ wheels!”

According to the interwebs there were two Jatco gearboxes for these, one stronger than the other.  SE had option on the strong one.  This one is missing the E.  Therefore Jatco RE4F02A, Dex III, filter RL4.FIL01

Saw some YT video from Americans doing the change to a gen-4 or later, but is listed as a carry-over gearbox. 

Late-plate madness bonus ball !  The gen-4 cars were out 6 months before this was registered.  

This Miraculous Maxima is now on 3 owners.

The Brown Trout comes in at 12 owners!

[edited due to spaz]

Next time I have a picnic at a motorway services I'm definitely going to sit right next to the dog poo bin just to eradicate any pleasantness I might have otherwise felt.

Anyway, that's lovely. It's guaranteed to be lovely, since it has a serif font on the dials. None of your modern typefaces here....

These were fairly popular in the 90s in America I think. Some period alloys and '5 on it' by Luniz and your back in 1995.

Seen a lot of these in the middle east but the locals told me they fold up in a crash / roll over, which is something they know quite a bit about.