Gulp!

Baz

the Wife and I were discussing this last night, what with a Saab 9-5 that costs £80 to fill up and the Audi which costs not far off it's getting damned expensive.....But just what to go to for as we both need largeish cars????She's just a snob so nothing other than a diesel Saab will do but I really want to get cheap tax but have an estate car...a combination that will only end upp in a very slow moving vehicle...

Guest greenvanman

It's £5.50 to fill the Daelim. I only ride when it's not raining though, so the fuel consumption is dramatically improved at this time of year :D

Actually, petrol is cheaper than it was 40 years ago in relation to the cost of living, but because we travel more now, we have to fill up more often and it looks dearer than it is. Granted, it would be nice if they knocked some of that duty off but consider this (hopefully I've done my sums right...):In the mid 60s petrol was about 4/11 a gallon, almost 5 shillings and a good weekly wage before tax might be about £17 10s. That means that you could buy about 75 gallons of petrol with that amount of money.If the average weekly wage before tax now is £450 and petrol is £4.60 a gallon then you can buy almost 100 gallons.Course, nowadays we buy a lot more other stuff than we did forty years ago, more food, luxury items, go out more so our money is spread thinner.Someone do the same exercise with beer now! :lol:

With regards to travelling more, my work is at the council, who have spent a load of money promoting their new "travel plan". Basically telling people that they should drive less, car share, work from home, etc.Now they've moved the offices from where they were to another town entirely, so I'll be doing about 15000 miles a year instead of 3000 miles.I'm going to get a one off payment to cover petrol costs for the next 18 months, worked out by my distance from the new place. It will be about £1000 or so after tax and will come nowhere near to what the fuel is going to cost me for that period.Considering quitting my job after I receive said payment, then living on it for the rest of my life. That'll show them.

Our daily Vectra supposedly, according to the onboard fibbing machine, gets around 27-28mpg used on mostly short trips. I can get it to 36-38 up the motorway but it doesn't often go far, and it's usually the good lady driving who will be the first to admit she drives like a thug. So £20 gets around 160 miles. Which is better than the old mondeo, which had so many 'issues' with sensors and whatnot that it struggled to get 120 miles out of the same amount, which is about 22mpg I reckon.The last carb-fed car I owned, a 1990 Golf Driver, used to get 33mpg bang on no matter how I drove it. And my K-jet Rocco got 30-31mpg on the surprisingly accurate onboard computer. From this, I can deduce that cars are getting crapper as time goes on. Going from carbs, via mechanical injection, to a fully electronic setup, has lost 6mpg..... and I drive slower than I did now family is in the mix.

Onboard fibbers are great, although the one in Mrs W's Fabia is quite accurate really. We get between 46-51mpg out of that one, not bad given it is the 1.4 16v and you need to rev the nads off it to go anywhere (peak torque occurs at 4400rpm or something similarly stupid). This offsets the fact it needs Super Unleaded though. Would be a great car if the electrickery stopped messing about so much...Drove a Golf Mk4 TDI 115 thing yesterday, I have it on short-term loan as friends of ours have gone to Mexico for New Year ( :evil: ), and with a feather foot that didn't get more than 48mpg. Must be 'cos it weighs 2 tons. That engine and box in a Mk1 Polo would be quite something, though. Very quiet compared to my 405s though, but that's mainly because the door seals are shot on them, I think.

BX, £45 from fumes if using Dino Diesel, less if using Makro Aro Brand diesel.

Get about 460 - 500 miles off a tank.

Could be worse.

Blingo - £60 from fumes - get about the same range per tank, and cant use Makro Diesel without it becoming ill and spitting its fuel lift pump out.

I have a 2001 (facelift, for those who care) Fiesta which is my reliable car - I used to fill the tank every time, but the last few months I can't bring myself to put in more than a tenner a time. Partly incase some friend of humanity syphens it out, which Im sure will become a more regular occurance in this country...

Buy a BX, some tw@t round these parts was siphoning cars by cutting the fuel lines and draining the tanks, picked on a BX, but cut the wrong line and not only did he get covered in LHM but was trapped by the rapidly plummeting car till the old bil arrived :twisted: