Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Peak 1980s uber wedge barge anyone?

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   richardmorris

richardmorris

• Full Members
  • 6,277 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

The driver’s belt on my merc feels damp. I expect it’s the seal letting the rain in. I’ve not worked up the enthusiasm to actually take the interior panel apart yet. The side profile of the bitter reminds me of the big fiat 130 coupe which is another favourite of mine.
  • Mercedes E320 coupé
  • Fiat X1/9
  • Citroën 2CV6

#62 OFFLINE   Youngsod

Youngsod

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 60 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:18 PM

You weren't driving this on Madingley Road in Cambridge this week were you? If so then the guy in the Corolla staring at you literally open mouthed in surprise was me. I must have looked like Cleetus the slack jawed yokel.

#63 OFFLINE   Strela

Strela

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:24 PM

Yup. I was in Cambridge overnight on Wednesday. I got slightly lost on the way to visit some friends who said they had just moved to a place near Jesus Green. I googled it, but couldn't find anyone of that name.

• DeeJay and BorniteIdentity like this

1983 Mercedes 380SL & 1986 Bitter SC 3.9

#64 OFFLINE   Youngsod

Youngsod

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 60 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 04 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

Well I apologise again if you happened to look out and see some muppet gawping at you as if you were piloting some spaceship from another world. Which to be fair you were.

Nice car by the way.
  • Snagglepuss and Hooli like this

#65 OFFLINE   Strela

Strela

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:01 PM

Cheers. I only bought such a distinctive car to try and deflect attention from my two heads.

• Hooli likes this

#66 OFFLINE   drum

drum

• Full Members
  • 2,654 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationKirriemuir

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

What a fabulous machine.

I've only ever seen this on a top trump card that I had about 40 years ago.
Think it might have been a Bitter CD though.

Don't know where the cards are but I did photograph them a while back.IMG_1200.JPG
'68 land rover 109 3.3 perkins
'71 land rover tacr1 x2
'73 puch maxi 0.05
'79 Brown allegro 1.1
'93 Maestro 1.3
'01 omega 2.6
'81 Oldsmobile 5.7

#67 OFFLINE   Tadhg Tiogar

Tadhg Tiogar

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 19 thanks
  • LocationNot currently in Ireland

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:16 PM

....I've only ever seen this on a top trump card that I had about 40 years ago.
Think it might have been a Bitter CD though.
Don't know where the cards are but I did photograph them a while back.attachicon.gifIMG_1200.JPG

I think that might be a Monteverdi, Switzerland's other car, and even more exclusive.
F*ck your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside,
F*ck your Subaru, I have a horse outside.
And f*ck your Mitsubishi, I've a horse outside,
If you're lookin' for a ride, I've got a horse outside

#68 OFFLINE   Mrs6C

Mrs6C

• Full Members
  • 620 posts
  • 31 thanks
  • LocationIn the Field of Dreams...

Posted 04 May 2018 - 11:05 PM

I'm only at Silverstone on Saturday but I may be passing Buckingham anyway on Sunday. What's Field of Dreams and when?

The FoD was the legendary location for Shitefest 2016. Six-cylinder and I now open it up as a venue for informal AS get-togethers on weekends throughout the spring/summer/autumn months. It's a little farmstead out in the countryside near Buckingham, with a nice view, the kettle on, good company and various old mechanical things available for fixing/tinkering/polishing/admiring/driving (according to the weather and ground conditions). It's a nice place to pass the time and you're welcome to join us. The gate is open from around 10am. PM Six-cylinder for directions.

See thread: Six-cylinder's Motoring Notes - Sunday 6th May meeting at FoD is GO!

http://autoshite.com...d-is-go/page-87

• Skizzer likes this

#69 OFFLINE   drum

drum

• Full Members
  • 2,654 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationKirriemuir

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:26 AM

I think that might be a Monteverdi, Switzerland's other car, and even more exclusive.

Top right is a Monteverdi 375, middle left is a Bitter
'68 land rover 109 3.3 perkins
'71 land rover tacr1 x2
'73 puch maxi 0.05
'79 Brown allegro 1.1
'93 Maestro 1.3
'01 omega 2.6
'81 Oldsmobile 5.7

#70 OFFLINE   Youngsod

Youngsod

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 60 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationCambridge

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:40 AM

Cheers. I only bought such a distinctive car to try and deflect attention from my two heads.

Ah! You are Zaphod Beeblebrox and the Bitter is the Heart Of Gold. That actually explains a lot.
  • RobT, Skut and Mrs6C like this

#71 OFFLINE   Strela

Strela

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 14 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

Well, I parked the Bitter earlier than expected. I did nearly a thousand miles in it, enough to identify a few snags and deem that none were too serious. Unfortunately, some kind sort put a scratch all along the passenger door that I noticed on returning from Silverstone (spot the Bitter in the car park). Not wanting to drive it thus modified, I got the Merc out over the long weekend and pulled into a fuel station at the same time as this equally colourful pair of Triumphs.

The Bitter has gone back to the gentleman who supplied it for some rectifications. A noisy fan, oil seeping from the rocker cover gasket, a few bits of loose trim and the door repaint. But overall, it ran better than expected and was great fun. Looking forward to putting some miles on it in the late summer.

Attached Images

• IMG_2269.JPG
  • IMG_2305.JPG

• Skizzer, Magnificent Rustbucket, RobT and 10 others like this

#72 OFFLINE   Skizzer

Skizzer

RIP Bill Gaffer Maynard. And my Discovery.

• Full Members
  • 5,941 posts
  • 35 thanks
  • LocationMumbles

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:16 PM

Like for the general Bitter / orange R107 loveliness, not for the keying incident, obvs.

What kind of Charlie Uniform thinks a gussied-up Opel Senator (no offence) is a good target for keying? I had the same on my ratty old Golf convertible back when it was a daily driver. Not just arseholes, stupid and incompetent arseholes.
  • Lacquer Peel likes this
75N Vauxhall 2300S | 76P Lotus Elite | 76P Renault 16TL | 79T Rover 3500 | 82X Lancia Gamma Coupe | 82Y Jaguar XJ-S HE | 83A Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 | 84B Talbot-Matra Rancho | 85C Ford Granada 2.8 estate | 91H Audi 80 2.0E | 91J VW Golf Rivage cabrio | 99T Land Rover Discovery V8 | 06 Alfa Brera 2.2JTS | 14 BMW 428i | 18 Skoda Kodiaq

#73 OFFLINE   Felly Magic

Felly Magic

• Full Members
  • 7,522 posts
  • 36 thanks
  • LocationGippeswick, which is near the fine place called Bungay!

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:56 PM

They probably were mistaking it for the Ferrari most people hate, some people are utter grade one cunts, and you cannot have anything nice these days

Yer can't beat a bit o' Autoshite

Felly :P

#74 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:31 AM

Oh that Merc is bloody lovely...

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 & 1975 AC Model 70s.

#75 OFFLINE   Sudsprint

Sudsprint

• Full Members
  • 625 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:51 AM

Gorgeous car. Better proportioned than a Ferrari 400 and far rarer and more interesting.

Was that yours parked in the Excel car park for the London Motor Show earlier this year?

Love the colour of the Mercedes as well. 

Maserati Ghibli

911 Carrera 2

Fiat 900E Amigo

Ferrari 308 GT4

Lancia Flavia PF Coupe

#76 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 3,642 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:00 AM

Lovely, lovely cars.  Envy is an ugly trait, so I'm having to fight pretty bloody hard atm!

I need to up my game considerably.

Well done.

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  226k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  185k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  96k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#77 OFFLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 3,629 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationZummerzet

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:19 AM

I'd be interested to know which one. After all, there aren't many about. Do you know where it is now? 

You're right that prices vary a lot. I expect that the cheapie ones need everything doing to them. When I bought this, there was one other for sale. It was a lovely dark metallic blue with outrageous copper coloured interior. But it was a three litre, left hooker, had 300,000km on the clock, had been for sale for about a year, and by the time I'd brought it back from Switzerland would have cost at least as much as this one. Mine has just been resprayed and had quite a lot of bodywork done by a man in the know. God willing, we shall prevail.

I got so fed up with mine, I auctioned it at SWVA in Poole..apparently a bloke in Norway bought it..........Much to my surprise, I actually got out of it with a small profit. Most interesting of it's weirdness was that the exhaust manifold would actually get so hot it would glow red after a long run..........never got to find out why...............

You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#78 OFFLINE   Strela

Strela

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 15 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

Gorgeous car. Better proportioned than a Ferrari 400 and far rarer and more interesting.

Was that yours parked in the Excel car park for the London Motor Show earlier this year?

Love the colour of the Mercedes as well. 

Thanks! The Bitter has only been back on the road since April, so it must have been another car in London. The Merc was originally green, but it needed a repaint and I took a gamble with apricot orange, which was only available on the SL from late '79 to early '81 so hardly any cars could ever have been ordered in it. Nobody really noticed the car when it was green, but since it's been orange it gets a lot of attention. I stopped at some traffic lights once and one couple were so moved by the sight of the car, they got up from the bench they had clearly been occupying for some time, put down their cans of Special Brew, and applauded. At least, I think it was the car. It could be that they had seen a friend on the other side of the road bringing them more drink. Either way, it was a lovely surprise to see my parents again.

• Jon, Skizzer, Magnificent Rustbucket and 9 others like this

#79 OFFLINE   Strela

Strela

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:51 PM

Lovely, lovely cars.  Envy is an ugly trait, so I'm having to fight pretty bloody hard atm!

I need to up my game considerably.

Well done.

Fight the good fight. maybe this will help? 

https://www.classicc...5-bitter-sc-39-

#80 OFFLINE   Sudsprint

Sudsprint

• Full Members
  • 625 posts
  • 1 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

Thanks! The Bitter has only been back on the road since April, so it must have been another car in London. The Merc was originally green, but it needed a repaint and I took a gamble with apricot orange, which was only available on the SL from late '79 to early '81 so hardly any cars could ever have been ordered in it. Nobody really noticed the car when it was green, but since it's been orange it gets a lot of attention. I stopped at some traffic lights once and one couple were so moved by the sight of the car, they got up from the bench they had clearly been occupying for some time, put down their cans of Special Brew, and applauded. At least, I think it was the car. It could be that they had seen a friend on the other side of the road bringing them more drink. Either way, it was a lovely surprise to see my parents again.

Your folks have taste

Maserati Ghibli

911 Carrera 2

Fiat 900E Amigo

Ferrari 308 GT4

Lancia Flavia PF Coupe

#81 OFFLINE   Strela

Strela

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 03:21 PM

My long distance relationship with the big silver bird is a lot of "out of sight, out of mind." But I had word from its carer the other day, at whose gaff it was dropped off a couple of months ago. I shan't need it until September as I'm busy until then smoking bamboo somewhere east of the Mekong, but some news of its progress was a nice reminder of how bloody good and impressively reliable fun it was in the spring, after doing about 100 miles in the previous ten years, and got me looking forward to giving it some late summer exercise. It's had a new viscous fan, which was apparently a chore to source, and the rad is being recored. No word on the oil leak yet, but that will hopefully be relatively simple. What a bloody gorgeous car. And, did I mention, it sounds awesome?

Attached Images

• 17.JPG
  • 18.2.JPG

• Mr_Bo11ox, garethj, anonymous user and 21 others like this

#82 OFFLINE   Mr_Bo11ox

Mr_Bo11ox

• Full Members
  • 23,823 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationUttoxeter/Derby

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:26 PM

What are the tail lights off?

PIGEONZ NEST

CHECK OUT MY AWARD-WINNING SHITE-FIXING BLOG HERE

"THE 2.3 POWERTRAIN IS A SILENT IS AS A FISH, AND IT PULLS LIKE A GREAT"
"Full luxury cream leather with walnut fascists"

"Car shows are full of mentals talking tosh"

"I had no doubt it would pass, but unbelievably, to mine and the MoT tester's amazement, it passed"

#83 OFFLINE   stormee

stormee

• Full Members
  • 460 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationDortmund D

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:37 PM

What are the tail lights off?

Lancia Monte Carlo.

• Magnificent Rustbucket likes this

1990 Volkswagen Golf Moda

#84 OFFLINE   Mr_Bo11ox

Mr_Bo11ox

• Full Members
  • 23,823 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationUttoxeter/Derby

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:38 PM

Aha!!!!!! Cheers!

PIGEONZ NEST

CHECK OUT MY AWARD-WINNING SHITE-FIXING BLOG HERE

"THE 2.3 POWERTRAIN IS A SILENT IS AS A FISH, AND IT PULLS LIKE A GREAT"
"Full luxury cream leather with walnut fascists"

"Car shows are full of mentals talking tosh"

"I had no doubt it would pass, but unbelievably, to mine and the MoT tester's amazement, it passed"

#85 OFFLINE   Skizzer

Skizzer

RIP Bill Gaffer Maynard. And my Discovery.

• Full Members
  • 5,941 posts
  • 35 thanks
  • LocationMumbles

Posted 13 July 2018 - 12:51 AM

Lancia Monte Carlo.

And, more commonly, Fiat X1/9.
  • flat4alfa and Magnificent Rustbucket like this
75N Vauxhall 2300S | 76P Lotus Elite | 76P Renault 16TL | 79T Rover 3500 | 82X Lancia Gamma Coupe | 82Y Jaguar XJ-S HE | 83A Jaguar Sovereign 4.2 | 84B Talbot-Matra Rancho | 85C Ford Granada 2.8 estate | 91H Audi 80 2.0E | 91J VW Golf Rivage cabrio | 99T Land Rover Discovery V8 | 06 Alfa Brera 2.2JTS | 14 BMW 428i | 18 Skoda Kodiaq

#86 OFFLINE   stormee

stormee

• Full Members
  • 460 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationDortmund D

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:10 PM

And, more commonly, Fiat X1/9.

Ssshhh! We're talking Bitter stuff. The lights are Lancia, no less!

• Skizzer likes this

#87 OFFLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,387 posts
  • 27 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted 13 July 2018 - 10:17 PM

They're dead common these, especially in silver: http://forum.retro-r.../2429608/thread

272ddbc75456.jpg

You'll have to get something even rarer now.  Good luck with that. ;)

• stormee, Skizzer and Magnificent Rustbucket like this

#88 OFFLINE   Strela

Strela

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 21 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 14 July 2018 - 12:36 AM

They're dead common these, especially in silver: http://forum.retro-r.../2429608/thread

http://img.retro-rides.org/i/v/forddan68...

Arse. I have really been trying to avoid buying a Bugatti Royale, but if that's what I have to do to stand out.....Now, where's that copy of Auto Trader?

I notice the car in that photo has a boot badge. And I think some had wheel centre caps with the Bitter logo. Mine has neither. Nor does mine have the very classy plaque on the centre console with the build number on it. I'll have to pop down to the motor factors and see if they have some. On the other hand, mine does retain the Bitter monographed (???) ashtray lid and has an improbably exotic non-standard Pininfarina steering wheel for the sporting driver (I know - can life get any better?) instead of the usual blinged up Opel original. 

Attached Images

• IMG_3452.JPG

• Magnificent Rustbucket, ProgRocker and Danterzza like this

#89 OFFLINE   Braddon81

Braddon81

• Full Members
  • 316 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationGower

Posted 14 July 2018 - 03:12 AM

No doubt you have one of these
https://i2.wp.com/hooniverse.com/wp-cont...

For some reason there are quite a few Bitter SC brochures on eBay for cheap, which is where I got mine.

Bitter had a stand at the 1984 Nec Motorshow featuring a Rhd coupe. They also in true 1980s fashion,had leggy models handing out brochures quite profusely which as a 13year old I acquired mine and where I presume most of the Ebay ones for sale came from too. Fine looking machines indeed.
I do know of a very rough one stashed away in West Wales by serial Monza Senator licker.
I wonder how many cars Bitter stockpiled for conversion? I ask as although the car is registered on a C plate its dashboard architecture is very much based on the pre 1981 face-lift Monza facia and switchgear?

#90 OFFLINE   stormee

stormee

• Full Members
  • 460 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationDortmund D

Posted 15 July 2018 - 01:24 AM

http://img.retro-rides.org/i/v/forddan68...

Some Italian taillight out of order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users