Fiesta Mk1 -

Christine

^^ WHS.

All John Player Specials were either black or white with gold pin stripes. Only available as a 1.6, 2.0 or 3.0, all of which were in GT spec engines only.

The ‘S’ Capri looked similar having the pin stripes. But the S was available in all colours of the range. It didn’t have the standard mk2 front valance (which the JPS did have) the S had a mk3 style front valance. The JPS also had a unique interior design.

Mk1 Fiestas were my weapon of choice when I was in my teens. I've had a few. Approx 15 years ago I bought a dilapidated but completely original 1.1L and built this:

F1.jpg

F2.jpg

It looked mean but mechanically remained completely standard. I did buy an MoTd and running Mk1 XR2 with the intention of making the Gulf car a 1.6 x-flow but I ran out of skill and effort and bought a Honda S2000 instead.

Good luck with your project.

Remember that car from the XR2 Forum, which unlike this place is down to about three posts a week unfortunately.

Verdict ? It's alright .   :-D  It's got no 5th gear  :-( central locking or electric windows  :-( but it goes ok up to about  55,  and stops straight . No more torque steer at all , but the range rover engine mounts are too stiff, causing a fair bit of vibration at idle . Stopped at the charity shop and bought some 80's music cd s   The Police , Squeeze and Elvis Costello ,and I was 21 again ..Loud   :-D  Everyone looks and points at it  !  :-P

Fucksticks !!

As I said ,  I bought  an Elvis Costello cd yesterday , so I had some "in period" music to play on the way .to the  festival . So this morning ,I'm going to work , trying the cd player.. and "Pump it Up"  starts playing , and i do like a rocker :-D  ... I wind it up to 20   ,really loud , but its all going into one original  4 1/2" speaker in the back..Then it goes all fluffy ....and i thought the cd must be knackered ...I've killed the only loud speaker .... :-(  :-(  

Then it goes all fluffy ....and i thought the cd must be knackered ...I've killed the only loud speaker .... :-(  :-(

If a car that has been off the road for a good number of years only has a broken stereo, I think you're doing alright!

I'm not surprised the speakers dead, the cone is made of tissue paper. Any old 10cm speaker will do (the mk1 I had fifteen years ago did get a second one fitted on the other side)

Or a pair of big house speakers in the boot just like back in the day.

• 4 months later...

Great thread, don't know how I missed it!

I had several mk1 Fiestas back in the day. Killed them all!

Then in about 2006 I bought one just like yours from Coventry. Sold it year later due to a break up. Got £100 for it. Ten minutes later values shot up! Would really love another but I'm not willing to pay the premium they now attract.

Missed this first time round. I was ferried around in a mk1 1.1L Fez in that sickly metallic green as a child (OHF 979S). Only car that's ever made me throw up from traveling, there's zero airflow to the back, even with the windows open.

Ours had all the filler in the front lights too, and that was the late eighties.

And yes, the routing of the fuel pipe is stupid, ours perished, poured fuel all over the manifold and caught fire. My old man said he reckoned it was designed that way, that's why the bonnet opens backwards so you can put it out easily. Melted the air filter housing. Replaced that from the scrapyard and carried on.

Phil

One of mine did that! It was a 1.3 so proper posh. A GL I think it was. Managed to get nearly 100 out of it and it conked out when it stopped. Opened bonnet. Flames! Got stuff out of it then sat on the verge at a safe distance and just watched it!

A chap turned up, without a word he squirted a fire extinguisher at it and put it out. Spoilsport. He then handed me a piece of paper with his name and address on it and said that I now owe him £15, then he drove off

• 2 weeks later...

I  am toying with the idea of selling this Fiesta... I don't use it ,and  it's taking up valuable space in my workshop . It does need the lower half and bonnet painting properly , it has wads of history from basically one previous owner. It's up and running , presentable , and I wouldn't hesitate driving it  anywhere . ( Well I would ,as its a noisy little shitbox)  What do you think I would get for it  ?