Mystery Picasso Roffle

Bucketeer

I dont dislike it at all. I think its canny.

Just sounds like someone is standing on a cat once you get up to 30.

Then sounds like someone is standing on two cats at 40.

At 50, the man standing on cats has obviously run out of legs so its sounds like two men standing on three cats. One cat bearing the weight of two men, then one cat under the other foot of both men. Definitely louder in the middle because of the increased weight applied there.

At 70 it sounds like a world war 2 hand wound air raid siren, operated at full chat by these two men standing on three cats.

Is there *any* oil in the gearbag?

Yet to inspect. Top of the list though, as its a simple one.

If you google Picasso gearbox whine there are a lot of results with lots of causes. Seems common for many reasons.

Deffo top of the list to check.

post-18231-0-15324100-1526909494_thumb.png

Does anyone on here have a tank?

Roffle to flatten the Picasso? ... :-D

Nooo

The Preston Wildlife Sanctuary for Unloved Blobby Citroens would give it a home... Here you see two young(ish) blobby Cits about to take their first kiss before a long protracted mating ritual...

We are on our second Bigarso now. Can't fault them as a family battle bus. Our old one was a 2.0 HDi which was amazing on fuel. Our newer 1.6 petrol is a lot more juicy.

I used to think of them just as an appliance, but there is something in their honest character I've come to like. If you could get one with the big sun roof it would be like a modern day 2cv...

After a quick blatt about I would rank it 2.5 out of 5 shits.

Drives pretty well and handles ok. The ride is lovely and comfy and the partially attached drivers seat is lovely and supportive.

Its like driving a big glass greenhouse which aids low speed manoeuvres and makes the bus as simple as cheese to park. The car can stall off the power at low speed but restarts with a quick twist of the go go peg.

Brakes really well. Pulls up straight and prompt considering the size and bulk of the bugger.

I tried kicking its tits in off the line but theres really no point. Its a 1.6 8v. Its not fast and its not meant to be. It gets up to road speed well enough and feels very stable and planted bobbling along in on a straight course.

The gearbox (i think) whines like a small to medium sized dog thats been locked in a rear yard in the rain.

Is it shite?

Yes.

Is it bad?

No, not at all. Ive taxed far worse.

Can I think of a better way to spend four english pounds?

No I cannot. Its the best way to spend £4 ever. Bucketeer even washed it and drove it for hours in the middle of the night to aid its transit north.

Where else in the internet would you get help like that?

For four pounds.

I give everyone involved a Shitpeas score of 15/10 and hope everybody elses mojo is boosted a bit by proxy.

Same engine as in my wifes Picasso, if its cutting out it will require a new ICV - Common. 15 minute job - two hex screws. When you put the new one in the engine will revv its titts off for five minutes. This is normal behaviour. 

I think the engines in these are out of the 205, originally. Decent car these, better with a 2.0HDI but still not bad as a 1.6. This will be the 3rd Picasso my wife has owned.

I dont dislike it at all. I think its canny.

Just sounds like someone is standing on a cat once you get up to 30.

Then sounds like someone is standing on two cats at 40.

At 50, the man standing on cats has obviously run out of legs so its sounds like two men standing on three cats. One cat bearing the weight of two men, then one cat under the other foot of both men. Definitely louder in the middle because of the increased weight applied there.

At 70 it sounds like a world war 2 hand wound air raid siren, operated at full chat by these two men standing on three cats.

Are you sure its gearbox? 

This is the second one my wife has owned (1.6 8v) that also whines, its the Power Steering pump usually / Alternator. Or it has been on the 2 my wife has owned. Changed both of those and no more whine.

Are you sure its gearbox?

This is the second one my wife has owned (1.6 8v) that also whines, its the Power Steering pump usually / Alternator. Or it has been on the 2 my wife has owned. Changed both of those and no more whine.

The power steering pump has its own distinct whine. Like a shrew in peril. Its audible on lock but sounds of a higher pitch.

If it was the alternator or a tensioner, would we hear it at idle or under load out of gear?

Theres no noise under these circumcisions.

Theres so many things it COULD be, but my £4.00 is on what saabnut said, or a lack of gear oil.

We shall see.

The other thing it could be is the long driveshaft intermediate bearing. They don't often fail, but when they do the racket is absolutely unbearable. That said, both vehicles that I've experienced that had this issue had more of a "constant thunder rumble" noise rather than the shrieking wail of compressed cats.

When you're driving the bigarsehole, if you back off the power so that there's almost no loading on the gearbox at all (not accelerating, but not engine braking either) does the level of cat compression reduce? If not, there's a risk it could be differential bearings, which is a bee-hatch of a job.

Edit: I'd not read SAAABnut's comment before writing this. Two votes for driveshaft bearing means it's definitely worth investigating!

The power steering pump has its own distinct whine. Like a shrew in peril. Its audible on lock but sounds of a higher pitch.

If it was the alternator or a tensioner, would we hear it at idle or under load out of gear?

Theres no noise under these circumcisions.

Theres so many things it COULD be, but my £4.00 is on what saabnut said, or a lack of gear oil.

We shall see.

The wifes whined all the time, regardless.. got louder with revs etc.

Not a bad car, Id certainly get it sorted like. Just spent about £500 on the wifes making sure it is fine for the trip to Wales this Thursday.

The other thing it could be is the long driveshaft intermediate bearing. They don't often fail, but when they do the racket is absolutely unbearable. That said, both vehicles that had that issue had more of a "constant thunder rumble" noise rather than the shrieking wail of compressed cats.

When you're driving the bigarsehole, if you back off the power so that there's almost no loading on the gearbox at all (not accelerating, but not engine braking either) does the level of cat compression reduce? If not, there's a risk it could be differential bearings, which is a bee-hatch of a job.

It doesnt seem to lessen when you back off power in motion mind.

That does sound like one of the pulleys, having said that, the wifes since the pump and alternator where changed seems to ever so slightly whine when you rev hard - I think it is the pre tensioner for the fan belt, it can squeal/rattle too but only does it when cold.

As I've edited above... I'd not read what SAAAABnut had written before I posted, so that's two independent votes for the driveshaft support bearing, which also will not generally change note or volume with application/removal of powah.

Easy enough to check. Bit of a twat to change.