For Sale or Help with repair? 1996 Rover 214 bubble 70ish K miles

320touring

Hello folks!

My mate Anna's early bubble shape Rover has apparently done in its headgasket.

A leak from the radiator let the coolant drop sufficiently for it to get warm.

It has had a new Radiator fitted, and been bled up but is still apparently blowing bubbles in the coolant.

I said I'd ask on here for 1 of 2 things:

1. A recommendation of a local repairer/ a friendly shiter with the skills and tools to help repair it for beer tokens

2. Someone willing to buy it.

Car is located in Glasgow - details as below:

1996 Rover 214 3dr in Green

MOT 31 July 18

70odd K miles

1.4 8v Kseries (14K2F)

Decent tyres /brakes and suspension.

Interior in good order

Some rust round rear arches as per pics.

Essentially, this has been fairly well maintained, but the leaking Rad has wot has dun for it.

My ideal scenario would be to gettir fixed, but I don't have the equipment needed. If anyone is able to help please let me know!

Failing that, Anna would like it to go to someone who can fix it up and let it continue to do car things.

Scrappies hereabout are offering £100, so it's available for the same.

Cheers

post-17572-0-17999900-1524936194_thumb.jpgpost-17572-0-04033600-1524936206_thumb.jpgpost-17572-0-11298500-1524936216_thumb.jpgpost-17572-0-26776600-1524936313_thumb.jpg

post-17572-0-27240100-1524936230_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The standard dilemma........

Car is worth £300 quid with some length of ticket on it.......

It will cost £300 quid for any commercial operation to fix it.......

So to a shitter who is handy with the spanners and has a bit of spare time and fancies a punt, then it can't be worth more than £50 to £100. It costs about £25 trade for the gaskets, chance and re-use the stretch bolts, oil and Filter £15. A cambelt has to be worthwhile whilst it is in bits but leave the waterpump and tensioner unless they look and feel no good.

So say on £100 quid cost, your shitter is in to £200 after parts, a days work and he (or she) has a car worth £300 that cost £200 and some time. The car gets saved and your shitter is £100 up with a known qty assuming nowt else is wrong.

I was there myself in late 2014 with an MGZR. Blown HG, car worth £300 as a runner, at best, poor paint. But in our custody prior to OMGHGF it had had a new clutch, new cambelt, new waterpump, new tensioner, new cv gaiters, new track rod, new tyres and was a known qty and useful as a runaround. So in I went, HG, Manifold Gaskets, Re-used stretch bolts, oil and Filter and that was 40,000 miles ago.........not used a drop of coolant since. She's an oil burner though, 1000 miles to a litre reducing as she gets more and more carboned up.

Only way is to DIY it on this. Garage would be wanting £4-500 to change the gasket on that. What else is in store as well? What the clutch like or the undersides. If all else is well I'd DIY it over a weekend, get the head skimmed. But your still talking a hundred in parts at least.

I'd chance it first with some Steel Seal.