Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Vent Your VAG Hatred Here!

Project

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   abelw44

abelw44

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:34 PM

Are aftermarket towbars a thing? Could this car have not been originally a towbar-spec vehicle and it's been added later?

Sent from my MIX_2 using Tapatalk

Thanks,

Abelw44 

#62 OFFLINE   stuboy

stuboy

• Full Members
  • 3,728 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • Locationashford kent

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:53 PM

i got a vw sharon tdi in drag............

Fondling along in fozzie the Focus  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  

Driver of the daddy bus 'ford galaxy:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen: 

MONTURDO  has been scrapped!!  :-(   :-(  

#63 OFFLINE   vaughant

vaughant

• Full Members
  • 714 posts
  • 10 thanks

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:58 PM

Also a vag shite owner in the form of a Leon TDI of the ve pumped variety.
Starts everytime first time, does 45mpg at 80mph, doesn't use oil or water and still had plenty of go when required.
Oddly has no visible rust although I maintain that SEAT seem the best of the vag group in this regard.
I've been very impressed with it and it cost buttons, MOT next month and I'm looking at an exhaust and maybe a windscreen, passed the last one first time bar a few advisories now all done (pretty much all caused by a bad oil leak).
Served me well and would buy again.
Different price bracket for what I own but I hate to say vag are no match for Japanese quality, my avensis estate feels so well put together in comparison, the 2.2 Derv is a delight as well. I'm a big fan.

#64 OFFLINE   D Spares & Tyres

D Spares & Tyres

Big member

• Full Members
  • 3,277 posts
  • 24 thanks
  • LocationAt the end of the longest line

Posted 30 April 2018 - 09:31 AM

I spent all day yesterday in a 2003 Galaxy

It drove well but hardly anything electrical worked.

Totally rotten rear arches. Filler and duct tape holding it together. Good towcar though

#65 OFFLINE   abelw44

abelw44

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 30 April 2018 - 11:57 AM

ad88dfb2e92210085b58e1857faa20d4.jpg

New rear light shite.

Thanks to Parky for recommendation!

Expected fitment date 2025

• Parky, Shep Shepherd, Datsuncog and 2 others like this

Thanks,

Abelw44 

#66 OFFLINE   jonny69

jonny69

• Full Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

I was sort of hoping you were going to replace those other lights with brown tape and various coloured shopping bag 'lenses'.

Anyway.

• abelw44 likes this

b5dySaj.jpg

Also seen as Kinnock

#67 OFFLINE   abelw44

abelw44

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 30 April 2018 - 01:10 PM

I was sort of hoping you were going to replace those other lights with brown tape and various coloured shopping bag 'lenses'.

Anyway.

I'm afraid my extensive shopping bag collection doesn't have the correct colours in it. However, the tin of Quality Street chocolates I have here....

• jonny69 and beko1987 like this

Thanks,

Abelw44 

#68 OFFLINE   djim

djim

Rank Austin Metro

• Full Members
  • 29 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 May 2018 - 12:16 AM

Yet another Aldi fiddler here with my 99 B5 A4 avant. Here it is...

media.jpeg

It's a 1.8t petrol turbo and in the 3 years since I bought it, it has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Basic servicing every year (oil, filters, brake pads), a few MOT bits (2 callipers, control arms), a thermostat change because it was struggling to get up to temp and that is it. Interior is pleasant enough and much nicer than the B6 passat it replaced which was a whole bunch of trouble. Engine pulls well and it'll cruise on the motorway all day. 

I was planning on keeping it for a while as I enjoy it but I got rear ended in Dec and it is now a Cat C, and the dog and kid have taken their toll on the interior. 

I'd still fully recommend them though, it doesn't have a spot of rust on it and everything works fine which is pretty good going considering it is nearing 20 years old. 

• dome likes this

#69 OFFLINE   beko1987

beko1987

Reliable Renault

• Full Members
  • 13,489 posts
  • 38 thanks
  • LocationThame, Oxon

Posted 02 May 2018 - 05:14 AM

I've always really liked that shape of a4 estate... Are the ones within my budget going to be any good now though? They do all seem to have been worked for their living...
  • abelw44 likes this
2001 Gooner2 Ph1 1.9Dci Expression (His)
2008 orl Vauxhalls r Shit Zafira 1.8 SRI 140 (Hers)

#70 OFFLINE   bunglebus

bunglebus

Grumpy cnut

• Full Members
  • 1,106 posts
  • 9 thanks
  • LocationHazzard County

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:13 AM

No hate from me, I really like that shape Audi and drive a '98 TDI Passat too. Bulletproof.
  • abelw44 likes this

Plain spotter

#71 OFFLINE   abelw44

abelw44

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

I've always really liked that shape of a4 estate... Are the ones within my budget going to be any good now though? They do all seem to have been worked for their living...

They're definitely out there, and usually not too expensive - but as you say, they've normally worked hard, and it's difficult to get hold of one that doesn't have galactic mileage on it!

Thanks,

Abelw44 

#72 OFFLINE   garbaldy

garbaldy

• Full Members
  • 3,969 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • LocationBerwickshire

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

How can anyone hate vag when a car wearing these seats can be had with mot in 1.9tdi flavour for £80,
Cheeper than walking.
IMG_20180430_214904171.jpg
  • Lacquer Peel and dome like this

#73 OFFLINE   sims00

sims00

• Full Members
  • 312 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:29 AM

I've had 2 VAG products (not counting the current). Engines are generally ok, although I found the PD are so sensitive if a past owner mistakenly had used non PD oil. The biggest issue has been bolts and the suspension set up. Jesus the amount of seized/rusty bolts and joints is absurd. I've had older cars with less issues like this. It's inherent to VAG of this era it seems.

Oh and door lock vacuum pumps. Shite
  • drivewaymyway likes this

#74 OFFLINE   abelw44

abelw44

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 07 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

Bit of bank holiday success this evening. Fitted the new Oxygen sensor, and it now registers no fault codes! MoT time methinks!

Had an advisory for old tires last time, so hoping they haven't deteriorated much since then...

• richardthestag and Parky like this

Thanks,

Abelw44 

#75 ONLINE   Lord Sterling

Lord Sterling

• Full Members
  • 6,915 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • LocationNorth Worcestershire or İstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 07 May 2018 - 07:20 PM

Very briefly, I owned this 1.9 TDi-flavoured Passat:

post-3572-0-43281000-1492368632.jpg

I got it for free, sadly, the alternator was pretty much giving up the day I got it. I managed to *just* make it home, despite being stopped by a cop (my trade plate fell out the back window) then it didn't start again.

I had no money and owned £oads in bills, I just didn't have time for it so it got given away again.

I would like another one at some point to actually properly try one out.
  • abelw44 likes this
.31109980376_e6f01e6edd_o.jpg

▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░..AUTOSHITE; bringing misery and despair to the world of motoring..░▒▓█▄▀▄▀▄

سبحان الله

AUTOSHITES CRUMBLING EXECUSHITE LEAGUE...
'03 BMW 316i SE - ...Daily... :lol:
'97 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...It lives!...Sort of... :|
'95 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Broken... :(
'90 Rover 827 Sterling auto - ...Broken... :(
'87 Rover 825 Sterling auto - ...Sitting... :neutral:
'87 Rover 820E auto - ...Garaged... :mrgreen:

...To get things done, You better not mess with Major Tom...

#76 OFFLINE   JoeyEunos

JoeyEunos

• Full Members
  • 106 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDurham

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:16 AM

^ Other than the massivley complicated front suspension set up, constantly failing electric windows, regular leaking/wet carpets with subsequesnt CCM damage and rusty front wings they're lovely.

I'd thoroughly recommend trying one.

#77 OFFLINE   Jams

Jams

• Full Members
  • 416 posts
  • 9 thanks

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:38 PM

I've took a gamble on a few vags of late 2003 golf gttdi 150 looked ace as had been pineappled was total shit tho.

Bought a Leon bkd 140 apart from the turbo sounding like a siren and the lumpy idle its ok. It's on ebay atm tho

#78 OFFLINE   abelw44

abelw44

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

MoT day today - standby for news of the inevitable abject failure!

I had hoped that the new oxygen and mass airflow sensor I fitted had cured the emissions problem - it was certainly running much cleaner and had more power, but seeing the amount of visible fumes from it on the way to the garage this morning, I'm not so sure...

Thanks,

Abelw44 

#79 OFFLINE   JoeyEunos

JoeyEunos

• Full Members
  • 106 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationDurham

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:44 AM

Dose of Cataclean + drive there at 5k rpm and she'll be right ;)

• abelw44 likes this

#80 OFFLINE   abelw44

abelw44

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:16 AM

It's only gone an flippin' passed, hasn't it? Well chuffed with that!

• The Reverend Bluejeans, richardthestag, Lacquer Peel and 5 others like this

Thanks,

Abelw44 

#81 OFFLINE   abelw44

abelw44

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 43 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:34 AM

An experimental pootle was had yesterday, to see how it went after the MoT.
It drives beautifully, it's smooth and amazingly quiet - plus the sound system is lovely. Somewhere along the line I've definitely cocked up the front offside suspension, as it's knocking loudly over bumps in the road. Further investigation required at the weekend - updates will follow!

efa1972b704685a6cad604ee7f98c522.jpg

• Lacquer Peel, djim and Floatylight like this

Thanks,

Abelw44 

#82 OFFLINE   Des

Des

• Full Members
  • 2,217 posts
  • 6 thanks
  • LocationWatford

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:03 AM

Bit of an easy target H8ing on the Vag slags but fuck VW, fuck their arse. How about a drivers door jamming wide bastard open? Absolutely locked in place and forcing it will tear out the hinges, check strap semi fractured and no amount of poking and prying would get the door closed until I popped the door card and unbolted it at the lumpy end. And it can fucking well stay there jangling around, the cost of replacement for this two bob part including wanker tax is £70 odd. Or I might cut a proper check strap from seat belt or an old boot, whichever turns up first.

• The Reverend Bluejeans likes this
Festering scum of the earth, yer motoring public.

#83 OFFLINE   Kiltox

Kiltox

• Full Members
  • 6,414 posts
  • 42 thanks

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:10 AM

Very briefly, I owned this 1.9 TDi-flavoured Passat:

http://autoshite.com/uploads/monthly_04_...

I got it for free, sadly, the alternator was pretty much giving up the day I got it. I managed to *just* make it home, despite being stopped by a cop (my trade plate fell out the back window) then it didn't start again.

I had no money and owned £oads in bills, I just didn't have time for it so it got given away again.

I would like another one at some point to actually properly try one out.

My FiL still has this - it’s dying though. Needs another fair bit of maintenance to keep it on the road and even then it’ll still just be a scruffy B5 Passat pushing 300k miles

It’s started making an awful racket that sounds like a knackered pulley of some description too
2017 17 Dacia Duster 1.6 Access
2016 65 Citroen Relay 2.2 L2H1
2002 02 Porsche Boxster S

#84 OFFLINE   Supernaut

Supernaut

Memelord

• Full Members
  • 5,134 posts
  • 11 thanks
  • LocationNorth. No, further north, then east a bit.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

From 2014 to 2016 I owned a 1999 Audi A4 1.8T quattro sport.

That meant it had 180hp, sports interior and sports suspension. The interior was a supremely lovely place to be (everything lit up red, including the little wheels to open and close the air vents, and mine had special white dials), and it was reasonably fast once you wound the turbo up. It was a money pit otherwise though. In the time I had it, it broke 3 bastard springs and each one was £90 from Audi (sports springs, sat 20mm lower than standard, Audi were the only people who stocked them).
It never broke so badly it stranded me, but it was a money pit on one little (and not so little) thing after another after another. It was never 'sorted' for any length of time until something else broke.

It had a cracking 10-speaker Bose sound system and looked ace though (Java green!). I also put the middle and rear sections of exhaust from an S4 on it, which gave it a nice wee burble. Even got it remapped to 210hp but still thought it would have been better with a V6. It just felt like it bogged down at lower revs until you wound it up properly. No matter how quickly I drove it, it just felt a bit dull too.

It met its end in late 2016. I sold it (not intentionally) to 17-Coffees' dad in April 2016. He used it as a commuter car for about 6 months then an HGV changed lane into the side of it. He was fine but the car was a write off.

If I do ever end up with another B5 A4, I'd go for a lower spec (non-sports) spec. The non-sports parts seemed to be reasonably priced (albeit useless to me at the time).

I do remember replacing the rear springs was actually quite pleasant. The whole unit just unbolts from the wheel arch, then you can work away dismantling the lot at your leisure on a workbench.

Here it is in happier times. Late 2015 when I'd just joined Autoshite and turned up to a meet at Crail.

12273760_10206293731757101_4368113331352

Oh yes, when the HGV changed lane into it, apparently the driver said "sorry, didn't see you"
  • djim likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users