The legendary IOW Audi 100 taxi

CortinaDave

What is the reserve? As a running concern I can't see it achieving more than £6-700. With a fucked engine it ought to be pennies.

We never found out.

Excitable, autistic car nerds aside - who is going to spend £700 on an Audi that’s been to the moon AND back again? I’d have thought, personally, it’s £400 with an MOT measured in weeks and declared as a non-starter.

On top of that, you’re bidding blind and whacked for fees at the end.

I thought a bid of £320 was fair. Not generous, but fair.

Sometimes you have to accept that a cars had its chips, its had a good life driving drunks around but its now had it. Unless its got some sort of sentimental attachment, its about time to bale it.

You've really got to see an ex taxi to know how worn out they are once they are sold off. Driven for possibly 24 hours a day by a multitude of drivers, repaired when it absolutely must be, mechanically shagged out from going up and down the box all day. Its a tool of someones trade, its chucked away when its no good any more and its becoming an inconvenience, in the same way a Joiner chucks a saw in the skip when its blunt.

Sometimes you have to accept that a cars had its chips, its had a good life driving drunks around but its now had it. Unless its got some sort of sentimental attachment, its about time to bale it.

You've really got to see an ex taxi to know how worn out they are once they are sold off. Driven for possibly 24 hours a day by a multitude of drivers, repaired when it absolutely must be, mechanically shagged out from going up and down the box all day. Its a tool of someones trade, its chucked away when its no good any more and its becoming an inconvenience, in the same way a Joiner chucks a saw in the skip when its blunt.

But the average taxi isn't a 33 year old car. It will be worn but if its lasted this long, the owner would have looked after his tool. At that age and mileage it would have had to have things replaced to keep it going. Especially as the IoW is hilly, bumpy roads, no motorways and a lot of speed changes. Possibly, if anything, it might be a bit of a triggers broom?

I will buy it. I’m satisfied enough that we went through every potential and possible cause of failure with the last Audi 80 ALF892 and I saved last year.

In the case of the (admittedly) newer one last year, it was a distributor.

Being optimistic, there aren’t a whole lot of things it can be.

What I don’t have is a Copart account. If anyone can help with that, we’ll be off and running.

Loony

Guest Nigelb

I'd like VAG UK to buy the car, restore it and place it in that Audi dealer next to the A40 in order to remind people that Audis were once rare, exclusive, innovative, well-made and interesting and not the banal monochromatic preserve of overworked sales reps and angry office workers that they've been since the turn of the 21st century.

Unfortunately such cars won't make them money.  Even when launched, the C3 100 & B3 80 a few years later, they were competitively priced, offering a basic rep special to temp the fleet market.  Prime example being my 100CC Avant company car.  Next I had a D-reg 80 1.8S which felt a real step up, with 4 electric windows, central locking & sunroof, but strangely no power steering & a manual choke.  My earlier 100 with the same 1.8 egine had a very good auto choke.  I know it seems trivial, but not when it's your business tool, covering many '000 miles a year.  When they were on the market, the 100 wasn't seen as interesting.  They were marketed as well engineered, basking on the Quattro's glory, perhaps different, but reliable & a comfortable long distance car.  That's why I lioved them, but the initial novelty of low cd had worn off by the first facelift.  Now Citroen CX, later XM & Alfa 75's were interesting!  They weren't on the co. car list though.... not till I joined my next co. a few years later when I got an XM, but that's another tale.

Haha you see anything you like anywhere - shout me.... other members may not know this but Copart are into Spain, France, India, UAE and continously opening yard all over the world. Of course they have many in the states too but you heard it here first......Copart purchase in Europe and drive back!!!!

Simply luvleh ai ai ratt a tatt tatt

UAE Copart you say? This can only end well...

post-132-0-66452500-1524769974_thumb.jpg

Looks awfully like the number plates are of that font which *every* VAG sold in these here British Isles during the 1980s years was fitted with since new. I think in the year 2018 its amazing that the car hasnt ever been fitted with at least one 2001-on style plate, and a pretty good sign that each and every one of those nearly half a million "recorded" miles was carefully driven?

• 1 year later...