Saturday collection.

scruff

It’s 02:46 somewhere on the south coast and for a long, drawn out reason I am sneaking across a sleepy seaside town in a Portugal registered two door Range Rover ready for the next part of today’s collection mission.

post-3736-0-54475600-1524275360_thumb.jpeg

Updates may be sporadic...

It’s 02:46 somewhere on the south coast and for a long, drawn out reason I am sneaking across a sleepy seaside town in a Portugal registered two door Range Rover ready for the next part of today’s collection mission.

I read this in the voice of the narrator on the opening titles of The A-Team.

Even at this early stage this is already in the top three collection threads.

Unfortunately the Scania's alternator has been pronounced banjaxed and no one in the locality can get one until Monday. A big thumbs up to Mick Gould Commercials for tracing the mysterious electrical problem, they are well versed with old school lorries and proper fault finding.

We were on our way to Belgium to collect two prime pieces of British tat, that will now have to wait until next week (DFDS freight has a ten day window) but sadly with someone else driving the Scania as I've got to go to real work.

However the weekend is not lost as while drowning our sorrows with PG tips in the cafe I updatesa mate with our progress and he casually asked if I'd be interested in buying back an old vehicle of my mum's which she had owned for years. On top of this there was a vehicle to be collected fresh from the channel island ferry at Poole, as the exhaust had completely fallen off.

So.....

post-3736-0-95576200-1524321771_thumb.jpg

After getting the Scania back (joys of a fully mechanical engine) we pigged out at the transport cafe in Cowfold and had a rethink. My chumrade (and wagon owner) had a old 90 on its way over from Guernsey that evening and the driver had already been in touch to say the exhaust had completely fallen off. We therefore set pace in a Land Cruiser and trailer bound for Poole.

While this was going on, as alluded to above I was offered another vehicle. Back in the 00s my mother's daily transport had been an unfalteringly reliable 1968 Series IIA Landy; sometime around 2011 it had needed some welding and had just been parked up in their garage. My folks wanted me to have it but at the time there was no space nor money to do the required structural refabricating so I very reluctantly put it up for sale. A really good mate in the New Forest showed interest and with a "first refusal back" agreement it went to live there. Lots of chassis and bulkhead work later it was on the road but never really used much.

I had sworn I wouldn't get another LR especially at the prices they can now fetch but I could not say no. And we could pick it up on the way back from Poole.

Poole harbour was reached at 18:00 hours. 90:

post-3736-0-79227600-1524419652_thumb.jpg

For sale if anyone's interested, needs quite a bit of work or would break well. Ex RAF Ascension Island and later Cyprus, been in the Channel Islands a good few years and a bit crusty

And here's the IIA. Apart from being considerably dirtier it looks no different to when my folks had it.

post-3736-0-13505300-1524419828_thumb.jpg

I failed completely at photographys for reasons which may become clear.

By the time we had all had a chat, swapped pound notes for a bulging history file and keys, looked at steam engines and other old tat it was getting dark and starting to rain. The others fancied dinner but I decided to press on back to my parents in Worthing and get some much needed sleep. The mother of all thunderstorms was about to hit southern Hampshire and the Landy had done two miles since it was MOT'd last July.

Despite clear recent evidence to the contrary I figured I did well in the miracle market so pointed the series towards the M27. I've had loads of these but two years "clean" (I thought I was cured, seems not) so it took a mile or so to get back in the zone. 55mph cruise in torrential rain didn't seem too horrible and we paddled our way back with no drama. It's always driven well and with the recent addition of an SU carb it's quite peppy, if a tad thirsty.

I sneaked in late and my parents reaction in the morning was brilliant. We had only been talking the previous evening about it and that it was sat in a barn going dusty. After a hearty breakfast I put more frigging petrol in it and headed off the 160 miles home. It didn't miss a beat and my boy was delighted.

post-3736-0-06041300-1524420446_thumb.jpg

My friend's bad luck had continued however. As I trundled through the night time monsoon they had finished dinner and followed in my narrow wheel tracks when the front diff on the Land Cruiser kersploded at Fontwell....!!

Engine room. 2286cc of pre-BL Rover Co four potness.

post-3736-0-36542400-1524601661_thumb.jpg

post-3736-0-28944800-1524601764_thumb.jpg

I'll give it a general service this weekend but there isn't much that immediately needs attention; the SU needs a better choke cable or the original one freeing off and made to work properly. This is just as well as the A35 needs some love and I really don't want that to just sit and fester.

Oh yeah, here's the front. Lights in middle = proper.

post-3736-0-85122000-1524601985_thumb.jpg