Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Grumpy old man thread

• Please log in to reply
79139 replies to this topic

#78811 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 4,842 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:27 PM

I'm sorry to read that, it's so sad when someone that young loses their life , RIP Angus

I live my life in song lyrics.  I'm thinking something by Depeche Mode might be appropriate. Blasphemous Rumours. 

Ref :  I think God's got a sick sense of humour and when I die I expect to find him laughing 

• chaseracer and Parky like this

#78812 ONLINE   Parky

Parky

I don't watch much Television

• Full Members
  • 5,391 posts
  • 64 thanks
  • LocationBut I hear Breaking Bad is very good

Posted 12 July 2018 - 05:42 PM

And New Pod confirms superior taste in Basildon originated electro pop right there. That said I am not sure I am ready for the 12 inch version of Blasphemous Rumours today, that’ll probably set me back a bit. Might give Radiohead a swerve too....

Just wanted to say i’ve limped through today and that’s largely thanks to messages and PM’s from you guys which gave me a bit of a booster when I needed it. Never been much of one for asking for help but pleased I vented earlier as have had some really supportive messages and advice from a few people here. Do feel a little better

Just wanted to thank everyone publically for the kind words and support. Especially as I am working from home at the mo, not having workmates about can be brilliant when all they do is talk about Love Island, but sometimes any interaction is better than none.

Cheers guys.
  • pompei, chaseracer, blakey79 and 10 others like this

#78813 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,839 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:35 PM

Mrs fp got me a replacement rubber backing for my grinder so I can use sanding discs and within 10 seconds the thing destroyed itself, bits flew off at very high speed smashing me in the knee and the knuckles and it fucking hurt
IMG-20180712-WA0004.jpg

Im glad i was wearing a full face mask, wouldn't fancy a bit of that in the mush
  • Hooli likes this
Sir slidealot, knight of the roundabout

#78814 OFFLINE   Wack

Wack

• Full Members
  • 1,770 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:42 PM

That is bad , where did she get it from

2003 Range Rover HSE

2015 Mercedes B220 CDi 4Matic

2011 Ford Transit XLWB Dropside

#78815 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,061 posts
  • 77 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Spinning too fast?
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#78816 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,839 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:56 PM

It was from EBay with some sanding discs, it was speed rated ok for the grinder I use for flatting welds, i only needed one because mine is mega worn

#78817 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,234 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:01 PM

smashing me in the knee and the knuckles and it fucking hurt

Of all the body parts beginning with K, the knee and knuckles are probably preferable.
  • pompei, purplebargeken and Hooli like this
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#78818 OFFLINE   BorniteIdentity

BorniteIdentity

Dangly Mirrored Sierra Saviour of the year!

• Full Members
  • 3,642 posts
  • 34 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:31 PM

The football knocked the wind out of my sails, but what a fucking summer this is all set up to be. It’s not rained since Thatcher, I’ve been through every kick and muscle twinge at the World Cup, and I get to look at some shit cars this weekend at FotU.

But can someone please finish my kitchen for me?!
  • AMC Rebel likes this

1999 Toyota Avensis SR.  226k|   1996 Toyota Granvia.  185k|   1989 Mercedes Benz 190 bASe.  96k|   1983 Ford Sierra bASe.  154k|

https://sierrabase.wordpress.com/

#78819 OFFLINE   Sloth in a bowl

Sloth in a bowl

The Furry One

• Full Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationin a bowl, obviously

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:32 PM

I want/need a new car - I have an envelope full of cash ready, but fuck me, there is literally nothing of interest to me anywhere. Im not helped by the fact that I dont really know what I want - it will replace the MGF, but not another 2 seater or cabrio. I would have a P38 but they are all fucked and I wont buy one blind unless its from a trusted shiter. I would have an HRV but there are none locally and its not interesting enough to travel to UK for. Aside from that...fuck knows what I want. I have a saved search on LeBonCoin which is all cars under my budget within about 250 miles and its just an endless sea of dross....206s and clios and other tedium.

I suppose this is a pretty minor grump in the grand scheme, but its bugging me.

This heat can do one too. Yes, I know its summer in the south of France so warm weather isnt a surprise, but its fucking unrelenting. There was no build-up to it either to acclimatise...the seasons now just flip a switch from "pishing down 24/7" to "scorchio" with nothing in between. And people think climate change isnt real?

Dave, which department are you in and we can find something properly atrocious for you to waft about in while swearing at shitty builders who have landed you in the merde yet again. 

If you have 1500 euro then just buy this. https://www.leboncoi...1461712073.htm/

f75d1ce19cf254cd8cce942e39ecac385fe9b962

Future Shite - 2014 Skoda Octavia VRS

Past Shite - 1974 Datsun 260Z

Current Shite - 2003 Megane Coupe

To be fixed Shite - 1981 Suzuki SC100

Previously owned shite

84 Fiat Uno - Rusty

94 Renault Laguna Mk1 - Breaky

02 Volvo V40 - Steady

99 The Scotoshite Kia/Volvo Pride - Funny

00 Ford Puma - Giggly

#78820 OFFLINE   Sloth in a bowl

Sloth in a bowl

The Furry One

• Full Members
  • 2,774 posts
  • 4 thanks
  • Locationin a bowl, obviously

Posted 12 July 2018 - 07:47 PM

Adding a grump of my own now, which is not very me and a really minor grump.

Look at the following ad https://www.leboncoi...1461635661.htm/

492496af97f46c30dc031eec6f187a241e043cd2

The seller knows that it's not 10E, I know it's not 10E, so why the fuck do you advertise it at the wrong price?

I can't believe it is meant to be 10,000 so is 10E = 100E or 1000E, how fucked is this bodged old wagon?

What does does it achive except bombard you with loads of shitty texts offering 10E and scaring off anybody that may have offered sensible coin.

now count down from 10, 9 , 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... and breathe

Future Shite - 2014 Skoda Octavia VRS

Past Shite - 1974 Datsun 260Z

Current Shite - 2003 Megane Coupe

To be fixed Shite - 1981 Suzuki SC100

Previously owned shite

84 Fiat Uno - Rusty

94 Renault Laguna Mk1 - Breaky

02 Volvo V40 - Steady

99 The Scotoshite Kia/Volvo Pride - Funny

00 Ford Puma - Giggly

#78821 OFFLINE   fordperv

fordperv

• Full Members
  • 6,839 posts
  • 17 thanks
  • Locationstoke on trent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

Of all the body parts beginning with K, the knee and knuckles are probably preferable.

Yep thank god nuts havnt got a silent K

#78822 OFFLINE   Lacquer Peel

Lacquer Peel

• Full Members
  • 9,647 posts
  • 25 thanks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

I was telling a mate how good WAZE is as a satnav so he tried it but said it was shit , went to Oxford and it stopped navigating on the ring road , just said you've arrived, we were miles away, good job I had the tomtom WAZE is crap

Then I found out he was using it an an iPhone 4 , i'm surprised it even installed

Waze works fine on my girlfriend's iPhone 4, it's surprisingly usable for such an "old" phone, but I don't know how long that will last.

#78823 OFFLINE   Hooli

Hooli

• Full Members
  • 10,740 posts
  • 120 thanks
  • LocationNr Doncaster

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

Yep thank god nuts havnt got a silent K

knackers ;)

• pompei, Timewaster, DeeJay and 4 others like this

#78824 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 20,514 posts
  • 23 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:34 PM

The second is to go into a job fuck it up for 2 years and then leave when it gets such a mess that they have to go and they move somewhere else. Instead of staying in a job for and getting promoted on merit they simply move into jobs that other useless twats have been pushed from until they too are pushed due to accidentally setting up and 'A.R.S.E' system not an 'E.L.B.O.W'

That’s so true . About 8 years ago I was involved in a big project and the technical director of this large organisation was a total cluster fuck and the whole project was a disaster . . They left after after a bit and I looked them up on linked in recently and they’ve bounced various senior jobs every 2 years leaving a trail of fuck knows what behind them .
  • Angrydicky likes this

I estimate this car needs £3000 maybe £4000 spending on it to get it rite and when this is done it will be wotrth about £1500!!

#78825 OFFLINE   Timewaster

Timewaster

Yeah, yeah.. I'll do it in a minute....

• Full Members
  • 5,234 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationThe sticks

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:52 PM

Remember, no one has ever written on LinkedIn "was project manager but couldn't cope so now I'm back to a junior tech"

It is full of bull. Facebook for work.
  • pompei, Pillock and myglaren like this
Pete M wrote:
Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, I can't believe I'm sad enough as to post on the interweb

Des wrote:
the fine art that is welding, like trying to shovel butter into a badgers arse with a soldering iron.

Don't suffer in silence. Samaritans 116 123

#78826 OFFLINE   Rusty Sills

Rusty Sills

• Full Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:15 PM

Car Spendies for July so far;

1. Replace missing spare key £60 

2. Replace knackered clutch £305

3. Replace NS door mirror knocked off while parked £25 - plus the faff of removing the door card etc.

4. Replace the fucking OS door mirror knocked off this morning £25 again - plus the faff of removing the door card etc.

5. Insurance renewal £270-ish for the year.

WTF is going on?

#78827 OFFLINE   New POD

New POD

Apologising everyday since 1990

• Full Members
  • 4,842 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationFormby - Just around the corner from MikeR

Posted 12 July 2018 - 10:50 PM

indeed you wouldn't want to catch that in your kunt

#78828 OFFLINE   Geep

Geep

• Full Members
  • 137 posts
  • 0 thanks
  • LocationSouth

Posted 12 July 2018 - 11:12 PM

Ps, regarding ‘career progression’ then don’t bother. They only take on arsewipes to supposedly better positions in the company, so it’s pointless.
Having worked for the last 35 odd years in various companies I’ve never actually had a career, just a job. It’s actually mostly brilliant because I couldn’t give a flying fuck about how the firm is doing financially or whatever. Don’t want to see people lose jobs, but equally couldn’t care less about the actual company.

This is how it was for the majority years ago but then they had to justify huge university fees and find ways to get the workforce more submissive. The 'career' was born. No-one has jobs any more, well only the 'riff raff'. You have to have a career now and if you don't. you have to look for one then devote yourself to the company or the industry in order to retain/gain employment. Meanwhile, the corporations, including those running education, are laughing all the way to the bank as people drive themselves in to an early grave making the few wealthy. 

• chaseracer, sheffcortinacentre, Lacquer Peel and 1 other like this

#78829 ONLINE   MorrisItalSLX

MorrisItalSLX

• Full Members
  • 2,073 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationShoalhaven

Posted 13 July 2018 - 01:41 AM

The Jag went in for its service today.

A few hours later I get a call from the mechanic.

“Yeah mate, we got a problem, we think the head gasket’s gone”

FFS.

*repeatedly kicks dust bin next to me in train station*

Fucking British cars for you etc.

Cunt.
  • BorniteIdentity likes this
Daily Driver - 1985 Jaguar XJ6 Sovereign, woft-a-matic
Former Daily - 1999 Hyundai Sonata bASe, RIP. 1999-2016

#78830 OFFLINE   cort1977

cort1977

The Eric Bristow of Parts Darts

• Full Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 July 2018 - 02:32 AM

This is how it was for the majority years ago but then they had to justify huge university fees and find ways to get the workforce more submissive. The 'career' was born. No-one has jobs any more, well only the 'riff raff'. You have to have a career now and if you don't. you have to look for one then devote yourself to the company or the industry in order to retain/gain employment. Meanwhile, the corporations, including those running education, are laughing all the way to the bank as people drive themselves in to an early grave making the few wealthy. 

As my best mate always says 'the definition of career is to hurtle downhill out of control'.  Have to agree with you though, as a contractor in a big corporation I see people doing some daft things in the name of career development.  It's the ones who take it really seriously that i feel most sorry for in a way.

• Geep and Exiled_Tat_Gatherer like this

1974 Pontiac Grand Ville Convertible - The Exxon Valdez

1970 Ford Cortina Estate - In a shed in Ireland

#78831 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 8,418 posts
  • 66 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 05:14 AM

Im a bit like that, I've got neither the aptitude nor the energy to sing the company song everyday to climb to the top.
  • pompei and clayts450 like this

#78832 ONLINE   MorrisItalSLX

MorrisItalSLX

• Full Members
  • 2,073 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationShoalhaven

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:08 AM

The Jag went in for its service today.

A few hours later I get a call from the mechanic.

“Yeah mate, we got a problem, we think the head gasket’s gone”

FFS.

*repeatedly kicks dust bin next to me in train station*

Fucking British cars for you etc.

Cunt.

Well, just got back from the mechanic and the head gasket is kippered.

Options are as follows:

1a. Remove head and inspect, skim head and replace gasket - $3000

1b. Remove head and inspect, rebuild motor - $15000

2. Swap in second hand motor - $3000

3. Add K-seal or similar and cross fingers - $50

Unfortunately, I can only afford option 3 at the moment, so that was undertaken so I could drive home.
The plan at the moment is to raise funds to undertake plan 1a, or 2 if the block is buggered.
So, for the time being, the Jag is up on bricks in the garage until further work can be funded.

In conclusion: cunt cunt cuntity cunt.

#78833 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 8,061 posts
  • 77 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:25 AM

Options are as follows:

Unfortunately, I can only afford option 3 at the moment, so that was undertaken so I could drive home.
The plan at the moment is to raise funds to undertake plan 1a, or 2 if the block is buggered.
So, for the time being, the Jag is up on bricks in the garage until further work can be funded.

Ouch ouch ouch! I was only just looking at your pictures of it earlier and thinking how lovely it looked. Any idea why the HGF failed?
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2008 Audi TT - Utterly boring but very compentent, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#78834 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

• Full Members
  • 11,965 posts
  • 19 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:35 AM

Who the fuck phones a B&B with a load of stupid questions at 7:30am? I'm going to find out when they are staying and ruin their breakfast.
  • myglaren, loserone, Lacquer Peel and 1 other like this

#78835 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 8,418 posts
  • 66 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

Wouldn't use K seal for that. Its not cheap but I'd do it properly. Get Steel Seal instead.
  • BorniteIdentity, clayts450 and dozeydustman like this

#78836 OFFLINE   dave21478

dave21478

• Full Members
  • 3,884 posts
  • 34 thanks
  • LocationFrance

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:55 AM

Adding a grump of my own now, which is not very me and a really minor grump.

Look at the following ad https://www.leboncoi...1461635661.htm/

https://img0.leboncoin.fr/ad-large/49249...

The seller knows that it's not 10E, I know it's not 10E, so why the fuck do you advertise it at the wrong price?

I can't believe it is meant to be 10,000 so is 10E = 100E or 1000E, how fucked is this bodged old wagon?

What does does it achive except bombard you with loads of shitty texts offering 10E and scaring off anybody that may have offered sensible coin.

now count down from 10, 9 , 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... and breathe

The website makes you put a price, but since everyone thinks "make a fair offer" is a sensible thing to do, they just put a nominal price to keep the website happy.  These folk can fuck right the fuck off, because there is no way to win that scenario...you make a low offer, they ignore you. You make an average offer, they huff and puff about wanting more, you make a high offer, they wont exactly say "no mate, I was expecting less", will they? I just dont bother even trying with them any more. Add in to the mix the non French accent which immediately adds 15% Foreigner Tax to the price because apparently all Brits are minted and they expect me to turn up in a solid gold Rolls Royce and have little clouds of fifty euro notes tumbling out my pockets and fluttering away on the breeze as I walk and and its just all a waste of fucking time.

Its almost as irritating as the wankers who "accidentally" leave a zero off the end of their price I assume to make their ad show up in more searches where people have put an upper price limit. Why yes, I am browsing cars under 2k, saw your advert at 850...of course I will pay 8500 on a spur of the moment decision.

I just cant be fucked with the whole process any more.

• DeeJay, Sloth in a bowl and puddlethumper like this

#78837 OFFLINE   sierraman

sierraman

• Full Members
  • 8,418 posts
  • 66 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:00 AM

Sounds like hard work. I think the French would have an embolism if they advertised on Bumtree for a week. €150 echange pour gitanes et High Street Vouchers?
  • clayts450 likes this

#78838 OFFLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 5,372 posts
  • 75 thanks

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

Options are as follows:

You missed option d) install small block Chev & lpg, plenty were running about round Aus compliance as such.
  • STUNO likes this

#78839 OFFLINE   Wack

Wack

• Full Members
  • 1,770 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationCheshire

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:30 AM

Just dropped my son off at Liverpool airport , they now charge £3 to use the "express" dropoff near the airport , drop off 2 is free for 40 minutes but as it's belting it down and he'd only got a suede jacket on I had to stump up £3 as it was a way from the terminal building as you'd expect for most £££

As I drove out I saw signs NO STOPPING , then I noticed the camera van pointing up the access road ready to issue the £100 fines for anyone daring to stop to drop somebody off

2003 Range Rover HSE

2015 Mercedes B220 CDi 4Matic

2011 Ford Transit XLWB Dropside

#78840 ONLINE   MorrisItalSLX

MorrisItalSLX

• Full Members
  • 2,073 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationShoalhaven

Posted 13 July 2018 - 07:42 AM

Ouch ouch ouch! I was only just looking at your pictures of it earlier and thinking how lovely it looked. Any idea why the HGF failed?

Mechanic said that the engine rebuild done by a previous owner may not have been done properly or done by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

The issue is that water is getting into cylinder 4, which is a fault with the later XK engines due to cuts in the block made between the cylinders which was done in the factory to counteract an issue they had with blocks cracking.

Wouldn't use K seal for that. Its not cheap but I'd do it properly. Get Steel Seal instead.

A Penrite product was used at the recomendation of my mechanic. It is only a temporary measure, done to get me home.

You missed option d) install small block Chev & lpg, plenty were running about round Aus compliance as such.

If any engine swapping was to take place, a Ford Barra with a huuuuuge turbo would be shoehorned in!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users