Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Grumpy old man thread

• Please log in to reply
76517 replies to this topic

#76501 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 5,622 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Just drop a few random nuts and bolts through a drain plug hole in the floor, that will get the bastards backing off.
  • madrat likes this

#76502 ONLINE   The Moog

The Moog

rusty old bucket

• Full Members
  • 8,171 posts
  • 81 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted Yesterday, 06:53 PM

Can't find two of the airbox bolts. I have looked everywhere includingoving the car.

If it had been one I would have assumed I lost it. But two means I have put them somewhere safe*.
1997 - 406 2.1 TD estate
1991 - Eunos Track beast
2003 - Getz

#76503 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 5,622 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 06:55 PM

Inside the Air Box? That would be nice and safe.......
  • The Moog likes this

#76504 OFFLINE   Coprolalia

Coprolalia

• Full Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationBedlam

Posted Yesterday, 07:19 PM

Moving out of rented accommodation, into a friend's flat for two weeks, before hopefully moving into our new place when the solicitors get their arse in gear.
Day 3 of packing and cleaning, somewhat tired of this shit.
  • dozeydustman likes this

357759.png369652.png

1989 'G' VW Scirocco 1.6GTD - back on the road, fettling commences

2004 '53' Skoda Octavia 1.8T - daily

Current hankering: Subaru Forester

#76505 ONLINE   The Moog

The Moog

rusty old bucket

• Full Members
  • 8,171 posts
  • 81 thanks
  • LocationAccrington .. who the heck are they ...

Posted Yesterday, 07:53 PM

Inside the Air Box? That would be nice and safe.......

Didn't open it. (Although still went out and gave it a shake on your tip)
1997 - 406 2.1 TD estate
1991 - Eunos Track beast
2003 - Getz

#76506 OFFLINE   Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

GM free since 89

• Full Members
  • 5,622 posts
  • 28 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 08:03 PM

Didn't open it. (Although still went out and gave it a shake on your tip)

Oh well, worth a check I suppose. I always used to drop the long ones from my minis in there when it changed the filter, left them in a few over the years!
  • The Moog likes this

#76507 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k

• Full Members
  • 660 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationSest Wussex

Posted Yesterday, 08:36 PM

I feel for you.  I had to go yesterday.

What is it about Ikea that fills us with dread?

Unfortunately the house I'm moving to tomorrow doesn't have any furniture at all, and as current flat has fitted wardrobes and cupboards we've needed to get something cheap.

It's the way you are herded through the display area. It's supposed to be one way, but people walk backwards through it, leave trolleys in the middle of the aisle, some people think it's a family day out and the kids are bored after 3 seconds so scream or misbehave.

The nearest one being in Croydon didn't help either. What a shit place to drive around.

• Christine and GrumpiusMaximus like this

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 - Shove-it - Viva HC - Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 - Avenger - Pug 205 with a suitcase engine - AEC Mammoth Major - Hillman Hunter - Allegro - another Simca would be nice as well - any 80's Peugeot - Routemaster

#76508 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k

• Full Members
  • 660 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationSest Wussex

Posted Yesterday, 08:37 PM

Moving out of rented accommodation, into a friend's flat for two weeks, before hopefully moving into our new place when the solicitors get their arse in gear.
Day 3 of packing and cleaning, somewhat tired of this shit.

been doing that for 2 weeks. Thankfully move day is tomorrow. We're about 90% packed.

Dream shite.

Talbot Sunbeam 1.6 - Shove-it - Viva HC - Samba - Triumph Dolly - Triumph 2000 - Avenger - Pug 205 with a suitcase engine - AEC Mammoth Major - Hillman Hunter - Allegro - another Simca would be nice as well - any 80's Peugeot - Routemaster

#76509 OFFLINE   dollywobbler

dollywobbler

Mr HubNut

• Full Members
  • 26,305 posts
  • 57 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 08:43 PM

Just drop a few random nuts and bolts through a drain plug hole in the floor, that will get the bastards backing off.

I had a BMW tailgating me once when I was in the 2CV. My 2CV threw an alternator bolt at it. They did back off to be fair. 

• chaseracer, myglaren, SiC and 2 others like this

1972 Invacar Model 70
1986 Citroen 2CV6, 1998 Toyota Starlet S
2001 Perodua Nippa
HubNut Blog      HubNut Vids    Twitter

#76510 OFFLINE   danthecapriman

danthecapriman

• Full Members
  • 4,883 posts
  • 41 thanks
  • LocationWaterlooville, Hampshire

Posted Yesterday, 09:38 PM

I had a BMW tailgating me once when I was in the 2CV. My 2CV threw an alternator bolt at it. They did back off to be fair.

Someone was tailgating a mate of mine once. He pulled the cars ashtray out of the dash and emptied it out of the window.
The ashtray was full of 1 and 2 pence coins! It was hilarious watching them all bouncing off the twat behinds windscreen and bonnet!
It did the job though as he backed right off after that.
  • Mr_Bo11ox, myglaren and GrumpiusMaximus like this
1973 Mercury Marquis Brougham 429 V8
1974 Ford Capri 1.6 L
1984 Ford Transit 2.0 100L LWB high roof
1988 Volvo 740 2.3 GLE estate

#76511 OFFLINE   dozeydustman

dozeydustman

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k

• Full Members
  • 660 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationSest Wussex

Posted Yesterday, 09:49 PM

If getting up at half 6 on a Sunday, finishing packing for a house move, getting stuff we have stored loaded onto a van from the various storage locations around Kent and West Sussex and a trip to Croydon Ikea in one day wasn't stressful enough, FB reminds me that 5 years ago I lost my grandmother. Then at half 9 I get a text from my cousin (with whom I am angry anyway) reminding me. Then also my aunt doing the same at 9:40.

Bollocks. I don't want social media or my distant family telling me that I should be grieving today. Let me do that as and when I want or need to.

Dream shite.

#76512 ONLINE   DodgeRover

DodgeRover

• Full Members
  • 4,927 posts
  • 68 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

I seem to go to ikea ( Brent Cross) when ive moved house and need something quick and cheap. The sense of dread is being fed like a rat through a maze. I learned to ignore this years ago and just take a shortcut into the marketplace and warehouse.

There’s nothing wrong with ikea stuff, just the shopping experience.

In through the out door passing the tills the wrong way puts you exactly where you need to be to get things you actually want....
  • inconsistant likes this

#76513 OFFLINE   STUNO

STUNO

Out of the rat race

• Full Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationSouth Waikato

Posted Today, 12:02 AM

I have never been to Ikea. Mostly because that would involve international air travel.

1994 Mazda Lantis

#76514 ONLINE   Aston Martin

Aston Martin

• Full Members
  • 1,377 posts
  • 3 thanks
  • LocationHull

Posted Today, 04:39 AM

I was at a friends last night, they were cooking burgers and I decided to have one. Unfortunately it was one of those grey economy burgers.

I have had about 3 hours sleep as my chest feels like I’ve swallowed a rock.
1993 Fiat Panda Parade
2016 Cactus

If you're going to have a funky car, have it in a funky colour.

#76515 OFFLINE   Rusty Sills

Rusty Sills

• Full Members
  • 1,948 posts
  • 14 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted Today, 05:26 AM

It's always a laugh at Ikea, if only to watch other people lose their shit over cheap interior furnishings

#76516 ONLINE   GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus

• Full Members
  • 713 posts
  • 8 thanks
  • LocationAshford(ish), Kent, UK

Posted Today, 06:00 AM

To be fair to Lady Grumpius, we were quick around this time.  The famous 'Wardrobe Weekend' was utter Hell.

We hired a van to pick up a dresser (the sort in two parts that's enormous) she bought from Gumtree.  Had to wait for the seller until 1300, so we loaded the dresser and got home.  Round trip was around an hour.  Then we set off to Ikea after some lunch (this took a while) so we didn't leave until about 1500.  Arrive at Ikea at about 1600 and then spent over an hour waiting to be served for the wardrobes.  After that, she decided she wanted to wander around a bit - by this point my blood is boiling - and eventually we go to collect the wardrobes from downstairs.  There's an amusing cock up when we see a bit that wasn't destined for our wardrobe on our trolley, so we tell them, then pack the van, then go.

We get home and lug all the bits in to discover that the reason for the 'amusing cock up' is that they accidentally swapped one part of two orders, so now we're going to have to go back and get the part the next day.  Drop the van off, go home, etc.

'Goodbye Weekend', I barely knew ye.

We drive back the next day in the car.  She spoke to them on the way there demanding monetary compensation for the Dartford Toll and the fuel costs - which aren't inconsiderable by this point.  They agree to this.  We arrive and we're met with a customer service department in chaos, with a leaky roof (and buckets everywhere) and tills that have only just recovered from crashing (probably due to the leaky roof).  We are told by Ikea_Management_Bot_2334 that we would not be compensated as a result of their mistake.  Thus Lady Grumpius goes and catches another member of staff during a busy moment, who agrees to it immediately and then has to undermine the more senior member of staff.  The bit we need is eventually handed over and after a phone call to head office (to ask if overriding his manager is ok, because his manager is in a bad mood and saying 'no' to all customer requests and is thus an upstanding example of a total wanker), we receive our compensation at the pre-agreed rate of 22p per mile and the Dartford Toll 4 times.

Get home, all the rest of it.  It took 3 1/2 hours to sort out one poxy little bit of a sodding wardrobe.

When we actually put the wardrobes up a couple of weeks later, we almost split up because of the spectacular row.

Ikea.  Just don't do it, kids.

• mercedade and SierraMikeHotel like this

#76517 ONLINE   vulgalour

vulgalour

• Full Members
  • 14,006 posts
  • 25 thanks
  • LocationMucking Fental

Posted Today, 01:18 PM

My back, after months and months of being perfectly fine, has started playing up again lately for no reason.  Thankfully just cramp rather than pain but it's still massively annoying.

#76518 OFFLINE   Broadsword

Broadsword

• Full Members
  • 174 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted Today, 01:42 PM

I officially hate all Jag XK8s (the old ones, not the ally bodied ones). They are absolutely thoroughly magnificent, but after research and two test drives (one ok, one a shed) I have come to the conclusion that anyone who bought one at any price would be mad. They rust so badly that it's just untrue. The market bottoms out at around 3k and goes up to the mid teens. Every single one is rotten, doesn't matter how much money you give for one. A great example (for instance) is one priced at £8500, which no-one of this parish would of course ever look at, but I wanted to see if very expensive examples were clean. Anyway the £8.5 example had numerous advisories on rust including a hole in the floor, also massive OMG rust MOT failures in the past. Do not think about one and for goodness sake don't drive and fall in love with one. The market for them is just a joke. The rust is so bad they really aren't worth more than £2000, but prices will never go that low. Nicest place to sit in imaginable, beautiful drive and drop dead good looks. You just cannot have one. Damn.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

mercrocker, plasticvandan