A Leboncoin dream

bramz7

I might be able to help on any collection capers. I say "might" as I have to work for a living :( Self employed, so can sometimes wrangle the day off :)

Tools from hammers to engine hoists available.

Massive scrap yard nearby, and I can point you to an English speaking insurance agent in town.

I'm near Vire in Normandy.

How much shall we bet that the place is closed when you rock up?

The place is as far away from Calais as Frankfurt. Just sayin', like.

I've reached an age where the time I've left is too precious to me than wasting it on those French wankers.

What's wrong with making contact before you drive there to make sure the seller is present.. ?

As a taster why not go along on the Bulgaria trip to see what you are letting yourself in for.

This might be a decent idea, as it could give you an overview of the potential for joy and despair with European shite shopping, without putting your money at risk.

If you are interested in doing this Bramz, feel free to drop me a PM. Having another driver wouldn't be something I would complain about for the trip back.

Really appreciating the mix of replies to this, and the various offers of help.

Right so, I've decided I would quite like a 'regular' spec AX14.

Not bothered which generation. I know the TU3 carb models tend to have hot start issues as my ZX did.

I also know what to look for on them.

Or a 4x4 one.

Apologies for the boring response, without home broadband at the moment so have to rely on my phone....

There are plenty of AX about in France of various flavours so you should be able to find something nearish to the Channel on LBC. Given the trouble involved myself I would go for a GTI or the 4x4 which would both have a desirability factor in the UK. The 4x4 sounds interesting - never driven one, they were intended for the countryside rather than as a performance car I think. Good luck.

There are plenty of AX about in France of various flavours so you should be able to find something nearish to the Channel on LBC. Given the trouble involved myself I would go for a GTI or the 4x4 which would both have a desirability factor in the UK. The 4x4 sounds interesting - never driven one, they were intended for the countryside rather than as a performance car I think. Good luck.

I think the 4x4 would be the best,it would command fair interest I think, plus I've had the hots for one since I came across one in Rome a few years back.

Oh also that's me selling one in Basingstoke!

As I noted in my "Historic chod" thread, J5 vans are now just about extinct here in the UK, so I've been looking at LeBonCoin for the possibility of getting one. Getting it back to the UK doesn't bother me too much, as I'll happily drive anything anywhere, but the cost of "Une camionnette qui n'est pas baisée" is remarkably high over there.

Also, although I speak some French, it really isn't enough, and I can't hold down a conversation without resorting to Google Translate for vocabulary. Plus, I struggle to pick out and identify words as most French people seem to speak at 1456mph.

Does anyone know what websites tend to be used the most in different countries? Obvs. in the UK we use ebay and gumtree generally. The French seem to use LeBonCoin. Any ideas for Spain, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium?

I did find this guy, who on LBC says he has about 150 old cars in stock, and his website does have the type of cars a shiter might be interested in.

(its the usual though, no response to SMS, don't answer hidden numbers etc)

Near Poitiers, which is about 1.5 hours from Paris on TGV (you have to get across Paris from Gare de Nord to Montparnasse - which isn't too hard, done it a few times).

https://vintagemotors86.fr/

20171128_172432-1140x624.jpg

Look at all this rubbish! 50 of us should go over there, empty the place and drive it all back in one go :D

Wait, could we fill a whole ferry deck with hopeless French shite?

Update.

Decided to leave car purchases on the back burner until I have confirmed storage for two in London (or elsewhere if that goes to shit).

When that's all done, I should be good to progress with the ideas in this thread. Going to France with €€€ and buying there and then seems to be the best idea.

I also need to find a UK insurer who is VIN happy, as I don't want to flummox myself before it's even started.

• 1 month later...