ebay Tat buying successes....and epic fails

clayts450

A lot of folks spend a lot of time trawling through eBay, Bumtree, leboncoin, done deal and Friendface to share pitiful on-their-arse potential purchases.

I'm genuinely intrigued to learn how many Shiters have actually purchased one of these sheds shared with the community. And more specifically, how did it turn out ?

The quality street green Discovery 1 I bought two years ago must have taken longer to bodge than repair properly.Both inner and outer sill were a mixture of very thin tin pop riveted on then lashings of filler, mastic and underseal. I saw a thin bit of tin mastic'd onto the inner rear wheel arch in the photos and still bid on it. When we turned up to buy the car I peeled it off infront of the owner.

If you buy a cheap Discovery 1 expect to do some welding but don't expect the battery to fall through the inner wing within a fortnight though.

Still got it and still working for a living and playing one weekend a month.

I'm a bit addicted to trawling eBay for hidden nuggets of purest shite. A blind purchase of a Chevy Blazer with head gasket issues seems to be working out so far, although it's not quite on the road. A mislisted and badly descrived Robin Hood kit car led me down the path of frustration via an old crazy guy in Redditch who lied though his teeth to get out of the sale. Likewise a cheap mislisted Mondeo diesel engine went nowhere. The seller dened ever listing it. 

It's all great sport!

In 2017 I bought a Honda Accord Coupe 2.0 manual off ebay.

It was in Manchester. I drove all the way down there in the Xantia I had at the time, with the intention of meeting RantingYoof and letting him take the Xantia down to Northampton to try selling it there.

The Accord Coupe was a pile of shit, and the seller was a feckless idiot. He said it had a decent clutch. Er, no it didn't. 20mph in second resulted in massive amounts of slipping with even moderate throttle. He'd also completely mullered the wiring behind the radio trying to fit an aftermarket head unit to it.

It was fucked. I walked away. Me and RantingYoof were in Manchester, both a loooong way from home, and it was about 8pm at this point. We decided to head even further south to RantingYoof's house so I could sleep somewhere and so he could get home (he'd taken the train up). I was so tired that about 20 miles into the journey I was hallucinating problems with the Xantia. He drove it the rest of the way and we got to his house just before midnight. I then drove back to Aberdeen via an overnight stop in Durham at another friend's house. I put about 1100 miles on the car in a weekend for nothing. :D

However, an ebay blind buy success from the summer of 2016 is still in my signature. The white BMW 316! Lovely little thing won for £191 still with a few months of MOT at the time. It was a badly-listed no reserve auction, and it was just down in Bathgate (near Edinburgh) so the collection mission was a piece of piss too.

My Megane MK1 was a super piece of work by TTT solutions in August 2016.

Won whilst slightly tipsy on holiday for £159 with 7 months MOT it was just a short journey for me from work in Glasgow across country to Port Seaton on the East Coast.

At that price I was initially surprised it even worked and it was filthy inside but after I drove it around for a few weeks, buffed the end of the crankshaft sensor to cure the starting issue and cleaned up the interior, I realised that it was actually a tidy little car with absolutely no faults at all and had clearly been looked after and not bodged. The fact that it had the same lady owner for 12 years probably had a lot to do with that.

After fitting a new timing belt kit and radiator it provided faultless service for nearly 2 years.

It still lives on with Aldo135 of this land, now back through East.