1955 Riley RM scrappage.

the imp in question is on the road but does need some work, the guy got the car off an old gent that had the car from about 6 months old.as has been said the guy does not really deserve to own the car, and if i had the space i would deffo have it.this guy has ruined some really nice classics.i also know another guy who buys classic cars strips all the good parts off them replaces them with not so good stuff and then expects top price for the car, and then sells the good parts on the fleabay for top prices.these people really boil my piss. :evil:

The Riley dying for some modern tat is a crying shame. Thing is, under normal circumstances if some eejit had traded in/scrapped such a beast it would have been quickly saved and sold on, but under the rules of the scheme it must now be crushed. Utter pointless stupidity.

I can't believe that that Riley will be crushed like all these other scrappage victims, I simply do not believe that it will happen. for a start they have a wooden frame so make rubbish frag fodder do they not? Any scrap dealer worth his salt will find some loophole allowing him to get a better deal than just sticking it in the bin i'm sure. Or maybe it will end up with a different ID, perhaps from another Riley thats been bummed for its reg no years ago or something. I think there will be enough folk in the chain between that car entering a dealer and being dropped in the fragger, that someone will find a way of spiriting it out of the system. Its not a borderline 70's shitbox like a Marina or something, its a bona fide classic, of which a really nice example can make serious coins, i just struggle to believe that it will end up in a bin.

Er, maybe not so easy now the damn thing has been posted on the internet! I actually blame the dealer, cos they should be able to see the true value of a vintage car, and just offer the discount as a trade in. Then THEY can sell the car, for a profit. They are not obliged to put it up for scrappage. There end of the deal is only a grand anyway, and it should be worth more than that.

Er, maybe not so easy now the damn thing has been posted on the internet! I actually blame the dealer, cos they should be able to see the true value of a vintage car, and just offer the discount as a trade in. Then THEY can sell the car, for a profit. They are not obliged to put it up for scrappage. There end of the deal is only a grand anyway, and it should be worth more than that.

Couldn't agree more. Any Riley RM with a ticket is worth at least 2 bags.

As Reg and Mr Knackers are suggesting - I'm hoping there is some leeway here on the trader's part.I wonder if the trader can just give the £2000 discount knowing that they can reclaim £1000 from the government (assuming they've checked the scrapper meets the requirements) only later deciding what they'll actually do with the car?If the car gets fragged and they produce the documents that prove it - then the government hands over the cash. I suspect the only government paperwork comes at this stage (when certificates of disposal and V5s and stuff are handed in) rather than when the punter accepts their discount?But if the trader feels they can do better than that (either for the sake of the car or themselves) then they might choose to 'do something with it' - in this case presumably they will clean it up and punt it on.Just my guess - unless there is some kind of guarantee to the punter that the old car gets destroyed?

Hang on, if the number is off, it can't have been scrapped yet, and if the number is transferred, they can't get a destruction notice with that reg on it. So what's happened to the actual original carrier of the reg? It could be open to getting a new number, and so could be free and clear!

According to Experion -Vehicle Registration Mark SCV464Make RILEYModel 1.5 LITRETransmission & fuel type MANUAL PETROLBody Type SALOONColour BLACK AND GREYbut DVLAThe vehicle details for SCV 464 are:Date of Liability 01 01 2010Date of First Registration 21 07 2004Year of Manufacture 2004Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1998CCCO2 Emissions 196g/KmFuel Type Heavy OilExport Marker Not ApplicableVehicle Status Licence Not DueVehicle Colour GREYVehicle Type Approval M1The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle 6 Months Rate £118.2512 Months Rate £215.00 So obviously the HPI is a bit behind.

As I understand it, when a customer trades their car under the scrappage scheme they have to sign some form of declaration consenting the dealer to scrap it on their behalf so the dealer never actually owns the car as such.Anyway, I would tend to think that this car has a future one way or another even if only as a donor car.

Just done a little bit of research....All vehicles accepted under the scrappage scheme are certified as Category B Salvage - this is to say they cannot go back on the road and are either crushed immediately or broken for parts before the final crushing. When the salvage operator takes possesion of the car they issue a V860 Certificate of Destruction although at this point the car can still be used for parts.So in short, theres a pretty good chance for the Riley - and anything else of interest - in that it won't (legally) get back on the road but can at least be stripped for useful parts.

So is the reg treated as a 'part'? Cos I thought only the owner can sell the reg, and the donor has to have T&T (which would follow if it really was traded in for scrapage). Could the reg be transferred before crappage? Then the car would be scrapped on it's new ID?

Just done a little bit of research....All vehicles accepted under the scrappage scheme are certified as Category B Salvage - this is to say they cannot go back on the road and are either crushed immediately or broken for parts before the final crushing. When the salvage operator takes possesion of the car they issue a V860 Certificate of Destruction although at this point the car can still be used for parts..

But I wonder at what point the car becomes part of the scheme? If the new car buyer fills out a form at the dealers that says they're happy for the car to be scrapped but the dealer then "looses" it and finds a better, more profitable way of dealing with the car the old owner shouldn't care and it wouldn't have got logged in to the scrappage scheme. :?

I know that the dealer has to submit a large form somewhere for the government's payment, I reckon they have to attach the certificate of destruction to it. This is all guesswork though.

Yes but if they don't bother filling in that form, are happy not to receive the gov't 1k and are also happy with the rest of the discount they've given in the deal then surely that can do what they like wit the car as it becomes just a normal part ex deal? It might have been taken to them as a scrappage car but might not become one.

That's how I see it too, as far as I'm aware the customer doesn't have to wait for it to all go through or anything, so presumably they can keep the cars around at their convenience. I suspect this is the reason why dealers are keeping some cars stickered up as advertising - they'll be able to get their grand later on from it.Unless the scheme runs out of money early, that'd be a bit of a shame wouldn't it? They'd have this motor, can't get their grand because there's no money in the pot, can't put it up as on the part-ex row as they've got some lads from the garage to kick all the panels in. Brilliant! I hope that happens.

well I'd managed to get the cash together and a fast car waiting to take me North to fetch the Riley and I found out this morning that the Certificate Of Destruction had been issued, too late.Classic & Sportscar are running an article on it and I believe the issue was raised on Radio 4's Today programme this morning.This may sound daft but I am truly upset about this, I can't believe just how senseless this is. I will be writing to anyone I can think of about this. You can't just bulldoze a listed building so how can you just destroy a registered Historic vehicle?Breathtakingly sad!

Who cares about the number! It sounds like the life of Riley has effectively been terminated :(

I can't believe that that Riley will be crushed like all these other scrappage victims, I simply do not believe that it will happen. for a start they have a wooden frame so make rubbish frag fodder do they not? Any scrap dealer worth his salt will find some loophole allowing him to get a better deal than just sticking it in the bin i'm sure. Or maybe it will end up with a different ID, perhaps from another Riley thats been bummed for its reg no years ago or something. I think there will be enough folk in the chain between that car entering a dealer and being dropped in the fragger, that someone will find a way of spiriting it out of the system. Its not a borderline 70's shitbox like a Marina or something, its a bona fide classic, of which a really nice example can make serious coins, i just struggle to believe that it will end up in a bin.

I think Mr B has nailed it, someone somewhere will probably ring it and quietly export it/stick it back on the road, or more likely the quarter mile oval.