American Chrysler Horizon to die for!!!

Faker

This post should really be in the cars you didn't know existed thread... but I felt it deserved its own thread.

Worth adding another if you don't know this either:

Dodge Shelby Charger GLHS

In other words, the Omni Coupe.  The body style that Talbot Horizon buyers never got to see.

ece4f4a4779043deec5e6438e2137c0d.jpg 1987_dodge_shelby_charger_1511909970_615 186920_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know why the Horizon was so maligned. Wasn't actually a bad car. Can drop a 1.9 XU Pez engine in it........

Popular motor in the states. Ultimate giffer wagon over here in 1.1LE spec....

It did win COTY.  But British buyers heard the castanets and left them alone

Granted, if they actually had done a Horizon 1.6 Rallye over in France, it might have caught on.  But Sunbeam Ti wasn't selling in great enough numbers over this way as it was

I don't think the American Omni is related to the European Horizon in any way, mechanically or structurally. I'm not even sure any of the panels are interchangeable. I don't know if this makes the American ones better (unlikely) or worse (almost certainly) or what but it does seem a strange way of going about things.

I don't think the American Omni is related to the European Horizon in any way, mechanically or structurally. I'm not even sure any of the panels are interchangeable. I don't know if this makes the American ones better (unlikely) or worse (almost certainly) or what but it does seem a strange way of going about things.

That would be correct, sir.

The French Horizon has torsion bar suspension for a start, while the septic one has McPherson struts.

And as you say, no body panels are interchangeable and the body structures are completely different.

Safety, you know.

Looks are deceiving. Those are completely different cars stem to stern.

As for models, there are the Motor Max 1/24 diecasts of the saloons:

73341D_open.jpg

With relatively little work they could be made into GLHs, with a lot of work into Simca/Talbots.

AMT made promos and kits of the Horizon coupe in 1/25:

s-l1600.jpg

MPC of the Dodge Omni:

05b9843a6d77e288836c405ef87f58bf.jpg

And of the Shelby Charger:

mpc-1984-dodge-shelby-charger-33.jpg

And of the Daytona:

hqdefault.jpg

Also Shelby Daytona:

DaytonDodgeShelbyMPC-vi.jpg

So did Monogram in 1/24:

hqdefault.jpg