E39 Brown Trout (tm) ROFFLE BACK OFF.

Jim Bell

The automatic makes a difference, mpgs will be noticeably lower than on a similar manual car. Cant really complain about my 528i, got around 28.5mpg out of it after a week of thrashing in Wales including the trip there and back (at fairly high speeds). Thats what the car said anyways. And yeah, no significant difference between the 520i-530i in that regard.

The automatic makes a difference, mpgs will be noticeably lower than on a similar manual car.

Not if you're my missus it doesn't. She'll only change gear when she hits the limiter and will happily scream along at 40 in 2nd for several miles until she changes up to 3rd. Her 1.6 Megane uses more fuel than my Jag.

I keep saying to her that she should get an auto but when she drives mine she keeps one foot on the brake ALL the time and the other one on the accelerator so I'm not sure if its a good idea either.

But in normal hands I agree your point.

• 2 weeks later...

The slippy Brown Trout has been in to local tat-friendly independent garage for Transmission service of late.

post-5435-0-41472200-1524733265_thumb.jpeg

News from under the lift is good. Fluid drained reported as black and filter reported as very old and black. No swarf reported.

Best case scenario thus far really.

Hes not had time to do a propper road test so I'm off to pick in up after work for a shakedown run.

Hopefully new fluid and filter will have cured the cold slipping, as I really like this old turd. Its not fast, its not ecconomical and its not practical and I usually require cars to tick at least one (or two) of these points on the TRIANGLE OF DESIRE but this tub has somehow gotten into my pants by bypassing all conventional sense.

Oh ffs!

Please tell me that's a photoshop!

Where exactly in the NE of England are you? I'll swing past on my way to Durham tomorrow, remove those, and slap you with them.

Theyre unplugged. The work of a former owner. They change colours automatically and are probably the most terrible thing I have ever seen.