E39 Brown Trout (tm) ROFFLE BACK OFF.

Jim Bell

Not really a fan of Roulette rims, but they suit this particular car and it'll be a shame when it inevitably ends up on 18" M Parralels or something. Not saying WW will do it, but let's face it, the chances of it staying in his care for more than the lifespan of a Spring Lamb is very unlikely.

In other news , I was 2 years into the ownership of my 2nd e39 when I discovered the armrest slides forward. Don't miss a thing me,oh no.

Really?

I don't know what went on between you two and I don't really care either. However it is very distasteful, childish and pointless to come on here to give a dig like that.

Well, as this thread has been dragged down into a pointless slanging match, here come the facts, and they will shock you.

I had to return his deposit and not sell him some old motorbikes from my late father's estate when the executor of the estate made decisions in relation to who they should be sold to after I had accepted said deposit. Theres a thread on it somewhere.

Thats right. Something that I had no control over occured at no financial expense to anyone. For which I apologised both publicly and profusely.

Thats it.

Why does he need to randomly insult people? And seriously, the R word is so deeply insulting on a level that a certain person cannot comprehend. I thought the forum had put this frankly petty squabbling behind it, but sadly it seems not, I do hope the mods team step in to sort this matter out before it gets seriously out of hand, but I fear this may be too late

THE WEATHERS NICE TODAY!!

What does it drive like WW? Any problems of note?

The weather certainly was not too nice today man. Ive only driven the car home but it seems to waft canny. Its not without faults though.

A cursory fiddle reveals that the passenger side wing mirror doesnt adjust electrically (the switch that selects wing mirror for adjustment seems to be broken).

The windscreen surround trim is mostly broken, missing or pointing up in the air. The boot hold open pistons dont. The tape player doesnt function (but it has an aux in conversion).

Heaters take a while to get up to toasty but the engine temp gauge gets up to middle promptly and sits centrally with stoic determination.

It drives well. It kicks down great and darts like a stabbed rat when prompted but the shifts seem a bit lazy when pootling? Could just be me being paranoid so Im keen to get a second opinion on that.

One of the rear windows drops a few millimeters (do they ALL do this? Every BMW Ive had is guilty of a bit of rear window sagging. )

Brakes grand, steers precise and sweet for a big lump and it rides as you might expect, like a large comfortable german manager-carrier.

Ill look round it deeper tomorrow. I basically bought it blind, in the rain, as it was getting dark but Im far from disapointed!

Far from perfect and the pics might flatter it, but for dirty weekend in Scarborough money, itll do me.

This car is giving me the feeling a bit like in those crappy Purplebrick adverts just with my TT instead. Why did I buy that flipping TT when, literally, for the price of one shock absorber for the hopeless piece of crap I could have bought something like this? Only 30 ponies off in the power department between the two as well!

(Not sure Mrs SiC would have shared my same sentiment admittedly. I got told off for always being drawn to the "crappy end" of a dealers forecourt when we last went car shopping a couple of weeks ago...)

This car is giving me the feeling a bit like in those crappy Purplebrick adverts just with my TT instead. Why did I buy that flipping TT when, literally, for the price of one shock absorber for the hopeless piece of crap I could have bought something like this? Only 30 ponies off in the power department between the two as well!

(Not sure Mrs SiC would have shared my same sentiment admittedly. I got told off for always being drawn to the "crappy end" of a dealers forecourt when we last went car shopping a couple of weeks ago...)

I had to wince at that shock absorber price comparison man. The TT is a more iconic car though undoubtably. Be a lot lighter too. I wouldnt fancy racing you.

Women say "crappy end", we say "value section" - potato, pertarto.

I'll certainly be wincing if the other shocks go on it soon too. I was also looking at sites with prices on getting DSG boxes fixed ... needless to say unless it FTPs then it won't ever be touched under my ownership. If the 'box does FTP then it'll become bean tins swiftly. Admittedly the shock is still cheaper than a Clio cambelt! Slim comfort mind.

I think a 530i would be a fair match between the two (admittedly the TT should be better in the corners) and would be my preferred engine of choice on the E39. But then you still have the silky smooth 6cyl lump. And as it isn't a 530i, a lot cheaper to buy.

These are pretty iconic I reckon. Last of the pre-bangles era BMW and before they went crazy with curvy plastic body parts with loads of toys in the cabin.

I'm pretty sure these will become sought after classics.