Ticking timebomb Renner DCi?

pogweasel

Right then, So at the minute I'm running about in this horrid little Renault thing, fitted with a 1.5DCi engine. The turbo on it whistles like a bastard, it smokes like a steam shunter when booted, and to make it all more fun it's started now flashing an engine management light at me, mostly when when you are getting a bit 'bogged down', e.g trying to pull of in second when really you should have dropped to first. Official advice is 'nowt wrong with that, mate', but that's clearly bollocks. Question is, when it does finally grenade itself over the hard shoulder, what will actually happen? I have heard a load of horror stories of these running on to 10000rpm before spectacular detonation and/or burn out. When it does occur, will just repeatedly trying to stall the bastard work, or should I just grab all the contents & run before it ends in a big sticky mess being damped down by the fire service?

Sounds like the turbo on it is bo11oxed, if it gets really bo11oxed then the engine will start to drink the contents of its sump via the knackeerd turbo seal on the intake side, thats when you'll get the runaway. That is a fire risk and you might be able to stall it, but I would rate your chances at 50%, if it really gets started in a big way theres little you can do to stop it! I would try an get a new turbo on, its a tiny Garrett GT12 or 14 variable geom turbine on those I think.

Keep your oil level checked physically, don't trust the electronic sensors. If it's too full, it's curtains, if it's low, it's probably also curtains. But keep it to the correct level at all costs. Under warranty at all? No? Pay some Burberry clad pikey to "borrow" it and have a barbeque, the give Notrich Onion a call in the week to let them know it's gone. Quids in, it's the only way to make a profit or indeed stay evens with a modern Renault. Nails the lot of'em.

Doesn't sound like it's too healthy to me, I'd concur with new turbo. Is it a new van? If not, quite possible (it is a Kangoo, innit?) that previous drivers have hammered the hell out of it from cold, shut it off with the turbo red hot, etc.Incidentally I had a Megane estate with this engine in as a hire car in Portugal last month, and it was quite a nice little device, 86BHP version I think it was, and it didn't display any of the characteristics you describe on yours so a "good" one is OK.

I would have thought a 1.5 DCi would be fairly easy to stall by just bunging it in 5th, stomping on the brake and letting the clutch out? Worked with my Trooper when it started drinking its own oil and the engine on that was twice the size. From what I've heard it's only the 2.2 DCi that is so torquey it'll fry the clutch before it stalls.

OK, well we will suck it & see. Certainly no chance of it getting any remedial / preventative attention. Also, it is bound to have been shown zero mechanical sympathy over the preceeding 60,000 miles. Sadly, it's probably the best (i.e. least knackered) on the fleet. Would excessive fuel consumption also be an indicator of terminal illness? I am averaging less than 35mpg, which is frankly obscene.

I remember years ago reading an article in a mag at work about how to kipper a company car you don't like. Things like let a load of oil out and then drive at 50 in second gear. It also recommended crashing the steering wheel hard on the lock which will knacker up the PAS. A responsible piece of journalism...

I read a similar article on how to destroy a rental car, I particularly liked the section that started "If its an automatic then youve hit the jackpot, simply knock it into reverse at 70mph a few times and before you know it the wretched thing will be changing gear slower than a sloth on Valium" :lol:

If it's the EGR your local Renner dealer might be able to bypass it and run an ECU reprogramme. You'd get the light on with those at low revs at junctions and stuff, they'd also stutter a bit and stall sometimes. We used to do it all the time whit Astras and such. It does seem like the turbo is kippered too though, if it's drinking oil and the fuel economy is poo. If it's a company van, I'd grenade it and make em give you another... :wink:

EGR valves are common,lack of power,smoke etc,my friends 80BHP does 60mpg on a good run,these DON,T blow up,thats the 1.9 F9Q/2.2 G9T engines which pipe up on there own oil and blow upwe have had several in,write offs!!The Clio DCI is a nice car,reliable its a K9K lump.