Mk1 Focus 1.6. *Roffle* WEDS DRAW

Jim Bell

That leather steering wheel looks like it cleaned up well, although it did take ages! If it's no longer sticky, don't bother changing it unless you can get a decent condition cheap one from the breakers. The leather did react strangely to moisturisers, I had a proper handprint embossed into mine from one day when I had suncream on my hands, it just wouldn't shift - sold it on with that still there. They could probably lift fingerprints from it and frame me for the Russian spy thing.

These are good cars, the 1.6 suits that chassis very well. Cambelt or tensioner failure would mean a 'new' head (as the quickest/cheapest fix) so make sure they're in good shape. Good tyres and suspension will really make all the difference to the handling - these are great cars to drive on a country lane. Being the facelift you have the 'rubbery' cupholders which I used to love. You also have Quickclear on the front screen - if that works, you will not want to be without it on a car ever again. 

Its much improved. Im not ready to give up on this steering wheel just yet. Mainly because I need a manifold and a wing mirror more and funds are tight.

Does anyone know if mk1 Focus and CMax wing mirrors are exactly the same? I need a drivers electric version in Tonic Blue. Proving harder to find than I imagined.

They seem to be at the bottom of the curve. There's one parked on our road, MOT is out and its untaxed but in really tidy condition, only done 50k, I wonder what the story is with it. I assume its either had a major FTP or the owner decided they 'needed' a new car. I've left a note, whoever they are must have read it cause the note isn't there anymore.

That leather steering wheel looks like it cleaned up well, although it did take ages! If it's no longer sticky, don't bother changing it unless you can get a decent condition cheap one from the breakers. The leather did react strangely to moisturisers, I had a proper handprint embossed into mine from one day when I had suncream on my hands, it just wouldn't shift - sold it on with that still there. They could probably lift fingerprints from it and frame me for the Russian spy thing.

These are good cars, the 1.6 suits that chassis very well. Cambelt or tensioner failure would mean a 'new' head (as the quickest/cheapest fix) so make sure they're in good shape. Good tyres and suspension will really make all the difference to the handling - these are great cars to drive on a country lane. Being the facelift you have the 'rubbery' cupholders which I used to love. You also have Quickclear on the front screen - if that works, you will not want to be without it on a car ever again.

Yeah the rubber cup holders surprised me a bit. The "rear" one at the back of the centre console just pulls out for cleaning.

Etis says mine has the SPORTS HANDLING PACK, which may or may not just be the generic facelift improvement?

Wise words on the cam belt. Its meant to be up to date but no history. Probably worth doing if the missus decides she likes it as a long termer.

The fall out from BEEPGATE is still clouding her opinion.

Does anyone know if mk1 Focus and CMax wing mirrors are exactly the same? I need a drivers electric version in Tonic Blue. Proving harder to find than I imagined.

The mirrors are different on the cmax.

Is it the whole mirror you need, or just the coloured back piece?

The mirrors are different on the cmax.

Is it the whole mirror you need, or just the coloured back piece?

Whole thing. A bus hit it, the cover is lost and the clip points look snapped on the body. It works, but the hinge is loose now so moves about a bit on the pivot.

This is correct for your Focus in pictures and description, but not title. Could be worth a message to the seller:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-C-MAX-2003-2007-Door-Wing-Mirror-Electric-O-S-DRIVERS-Side-right-BLUE/112905364821?hash=item1a49af2555:g:P6AAAOSwPNNav42d

ETA: might be worth checking colour code.

Cheers man. Paint code is wrong on that one though.

Sorry, bet you'd already seen that one I linked to above.

There are a couple of good Focus groups on Facebook. Want me to ask if anyone has a mirror in the right colour?

Cheers fella, that would be class if you could be bothered.

I think a new mirror assembly is about 30 quid , but you need to note the number of wires in the connector to get the right one

and the hole in the plastic by the divers foot is the fuel cut off reset

Cheers man. Good job I havnt ordered one yet. Ford, Y U MAKE BUY WINGMIRROR HARDER?!

Some scrote broke the mirror housing off the mount on my MK1 many years back, it was pretty easy to take it off, take it apart and fix with super glue as luckily the cables to electrically adjustable/ heat the mirror kept it dangling on the car. It might be an option if you're not missing any non-cosmetic bits?

Some scrote broke the mirror housing off the mount on my MK1 many years back, it was pretty easy to take it off, take it apart and fix with super glue as luckily the cables to electrically adjustable/ heat the mirror kept it dangling on the car. It might be an option if you're not missing any non-cosmetic bits?

Its still on the car man, just a bit loose and missing the back cover.

Etis says mine has the SPORTS HANDLING PACK, which may or may not just be the generic facelift improvement?

The fall out from BEEPGATE is still clouding her opinion.

The sports handling pack might be stiffer springs for Zetec derived trim levels, as they were supposed to be 'sportier' than the CL, LX, Ghia types. No idea if the springs actually were any different though.

As others have said, beepgate is probably due to a problem with the aftermarket parking sensors, should be easy enough to disconnect/disable the system. If the sound is coming from the glovebox area, IIRC there is a fusebox behind that so whoever fitted the system might have tapped into it for power.

Wheely well done on the direction changer device, I was worried about the health risk.

I had some success with Meths to get a deep clean.

It left the wheel looking a bit enemic although a lower health risk, so I broke out with the black boot polish on the 'not much to loose basis'. Fears of a slippy wheel and stained palms after every journey were unfounded and the leather came up quite well.

As chaps say, you can get 'proper stuff' but as long as you've got a pair of black shoes and some polish for them, the investment is low.

Mine wasn't a Focus wheel though.....

Now that progress has been made on the wheel without involving the team at Porton Down, we can rest easier, it was just domestic grade hand cream of High street UK origin.

Mind you, I wouldn't want to collect a Red Beemer from the Salisbury area with a szteering wheel like this Focus.

The issue of the fanimold confuses me somewhat. It is important to know if it is at the front or the back. I had experience of the 2.0 in a Fester where the fanimold is at the back. This is the Mazda engine badges as a Ford and the fanimold failure was just the flexipipe between fanimold and centre section as opposed to the fanimold itself.

I know not the difference between to Focus 2.0 and the Fiesta 2.0 of 2005 ish vintage, the Fester is an easy fix should it be of any use.

I have a similar aged focus, with a similarly disgusting wheel. I tried lacing a leather cover when first got it, which worked well but made the wheel so thick is was horrid to use. I keep an eye on eBay but it's hard to find a wheel that is in decent condition.

Sent from my SGP621 using Tapatalk