Mk1 Focus 1.6. *Roffle* WEDS DRAW

Jim Bell

Isn't that a leather steering wheel with the surface all worn off?

I would just bin it. A decent second hand one can't be much money.

No man, its deffinately raised additions on the wheel.  Yeah, a new (or better) one is on the list. At the top.

Local fuel? Local food? Local shopping?

Is this some shite equivalent of France Passion of which I have hitherto been unaware?

If it is, great. A sort of 'give something back to the community that has just provided you with some desirable chod' scheme. As an extension of 'pies with yer roffle win', I can see this catching on...

Sent from my BV6000 using Tapatalk

Those are nice cars. My old boss had one as a company car which he let me use when he was on holiday. I loved it but the drivers door handle was a bit dodgy and I had to keep repairing it because he was too tight to order a new one. They drive and handle nicer than the equivalent Golf & Astra. 

Beep beep noise I'd certainly go for the aftermarket parking sensors. They tend to go ape shit after so long. Aftermarket ones let out a continuous tone in my Picasso when I was driving it. Scared the fuck out of me. Smashed siren to shut it up. The avensis factory fit ones aren't working but I plan to reinstate them and may find out the hard way why they no longer work! That steering wheel is grim too. Had a few cars where the stalks have been like that too. Nice car though overall

Regarding the steering wheel, the "leather" tends to react really badly with hand creams, barrier creams, moisturisers etc., leaving it looking like it's caught a case of scabies.

Naturally, lady owner cars suffered more from it because they look after their hands.

Only cured by replacement sadly.

Aside from that, looks a canny motor. I've been more and more intrigued to buy one recently, a proper early, 1.6 LX 5-dr, to get the proper "family car" experience.

I tuned in for the shitadvisor reports. Not one jobby was mentioned. Are you corked?

Nice motor apart from the steering wheel herpesvirus.

There was a complaint previously. My customer services department takes all complaints of this nature very seriously and always looks to improve our service by learning from the feedback we receive.

Which is a shame because I had a frankly epic battle with an unpredictable brown trout in a leisure centre shame cubicle on the way home. Someone looked under the door.

Brain shudder moment looking at your pic of the engine - Zetec inlet manifold at the front???

I had to check under my own bonnet: Zetec exhaust at the front. At least my memory still works.

So what goes on with Zetec engines crossing over their cross flows? Why would Ford do that?

Well, its pissing with rain so I thought Id crack on and see if this steering wheel is salvageable. Its in a bad way but worth a scrub I reckon.

What can one man and minimal resources achieve?

Before.

post-5435-0-88993500-1522765119_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-64036100-1522765149_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-96174500-1522765179_thumb.jpg

During:

post-5435-0-08229500-1522765210_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-37629900-1522765249_thumb.jpg

And two hours later. Literally two fucking hours. . .

post-5435-0-29769200-1522765304_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-39193200-1522765334_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-62733700-1522765359_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-05585500-1522765391_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-99416600-1522765428_thumb.jpg

I wish I could say its clean. But its only slightly better.

Need some better equipment I think.

My sister put 40k or more on a 1.6 Zetec Focus in that very colour in around two years, generally along country roads. To say it was 'maintained' is a wee bit of an overstatement, but it was MOTed twice which is clearly just as good* as a comprehensive service. It took her to Belgium and back for Rock Werchter no fuss, three up with a week of camping luggage.

It was nothing other than a pillar of reliability, and when I drove it back from the local garage where we bought it I was pleasantly surprised at the willingness of the 1.6 16v engine, which is as fast as and more frugal than the 1.8.

I've known a few people who've had these and have failed to drive them firmly into the ground, my sister included (we'll ignore the slipping clutch at 155k), so it definitely represents a GOOD and SENSIBLE purchase decision.

Just had a propper shot of this and its canny. Boot is dry, feels like there might be a warped disc but pulls up straight.

Radio is a bit aggro though. I turned it on, it said ONE HOUR on the display then played radio 3 fine. I dont like radio 3 so I tried to turn it to radio 4 and it turned itself off and wont turn back on at all now.

The ONE HOUR thing is the stereo telling you it will only play for 1 hour without the engine running so it won't flatten the battery.

The not turning on at all must be a special feature of which I have no further information. I may have another head unit if you get stuck.

Just had a propper shot of this and its canny. Boot is dry, feels like there might be a warped disc but pulls up straight.

Radio is a bit aggro though. I turned it on, it said ONE HOUR on the display then played radio 3 fine. I dont like radio 3 so I tried to turn it to radio 4 and it turned itself off and wont turn back on at all now.

I dream of a dry boot. Opening it and putting things in without bailing the fecking thing out first. Leaving things in it without them getting soaked.

Nah. It was in the DURING phase but I finished off with leather wipes and then let it dry and wiped it over again with a rag. Not even tacky now.

Im gonna have another go at it tmorrow I think.

Buttons on the Saab are still sticky as fuck :(  Will have another go at the weekend...  I've been using trim cleaner and a microfibre cloth, but I was starting to worry about spraying so much liquid into the panel and decided to stop before causing any problems.

I think these Mk 1s have aged really well: they were so fresh and new at the time, and those edgy designs sometimes go out of date very quickly but these still look good.  I like the interior too, a bit different but again it hasn't aged too badly.