Mk1 Focus 1.6. *Roffle* WEDS DRAW

Jim Bell

May be getting shut of mine in next month or so, possibly buying a Mk2 I've been offered at a good price. Tested until August. Solid body, few scabs, 1.6 Zetec with recent timing belt.

Be sure to get an advert up here man. Theyre canny cars and Im sure itll do someone a good turn.

This Focus came with a damaged drivers wang marrow. Finding a replacement in the correct code wasnt immediately easy as peas so as usual I decided instead to do a bodge that costs more in time, effort and money.

Behold. An wang marrow cover.

post-5435-0-70161000-1524310330_thumb.jpg

Behold. An paint. Hopefully a close enough match.

post-5435-0-29774900-1524310400_thumb.jpg

Behold an apparatus. Outside in a nice windy corner.

post-5435-0-40922800-1524310452_thumb.jpg

Behold. Some results.

post-5435-0-76165400-1524310484_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-13310900-1524310522_thumb.jpg

Er. Colour doesnt look right but theres certainly paint on there now. When it dries Im going to try and bodge it on to the mirror body. The mounting tabs on the body look snapped so I may resort to adhesives.

Just watching paint dry at the mo.

Yes. It is boring.

Don't forget the clearcoat 'nacker lacker'.

A coat of said can sometimes make the match better, or indeed worse.

With this fine weather we've got, a couple of flies landing on that will create instant 'patina'

I thought I had some in the shed, but I havnt.  So its staying without.  *rolls eyes*

Nice job WW! That's really lifted the car, bits like missing mirror covers always make them look down a bit at heel.

You've done a good job on the painting, too. Anything I paint looks like I've dipped my tongue in the pot, transferred it to the bottom of my shoe than stamped all over whatever it is I'm trying to smarten up.

Has Mrs WW accepted it as her own?

• 2 months later...

Been nothing to report on the Focus front, its just been a dailly dribbler for the missus. She does like to hold the car on the footbrake rather than use the handbrake (though Ive explained to her why she shouldnt).

In related news, she reported a banging under braking. I had a drive and the front is really kicking the shit out of itself on the anchors. Must be the most warped disks of evar.

As I like to support my local tradesman and also because I ruin everything I touch, I dropped it off at friendly garage this morning.

post-5435-0-76616500-1531815880_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-17713500-1531815915_thumb.jpg

post-5435-0-78132300-1531815934_thumb.jpg

Locking wheel nut key looks a bit bent and shit so hope that manages to do its job.

Yeah, reportedly "Piece of piss, wish I could do these all day. Looks really solid underneath etc etc"

Theres a slight notch in the steering which I thought was maybe possibly probably a ball joint but he reckons its the steering UJ. May try blasting it from all conceivable angles with wd40 if its easily accessible for a spamfisted giant.

Nice. Sounds like you've got a good one there, a lot are getting crusty around the rear end of the sills and wheel arches now.

The only rust I can see is the bottom of the drivers side rear door bottom. Its been ignored this far but I really should investigate.

Sometimes these do have a creak from the steering UJ under the dash, Fiestas more prone to it. A notch could also be the rack which again these can suffer from. Rack isn't too expensive on an exchange though.

Check it isn't the inner tie rod joints though first.

If its metallic forget mending the door bottoms. Fit a used door, there's a scrap silver one on out road, rustfree.

Good car this. She should keep it.

Yeah, shes decided she is. May have to locate and disable the parking sensors sounder though. This heat has sent the fucker haywire. The beeper beeps constantly in 1st gear when the weather is warm and sometimes just constantly in all gears what ever you do. Then sometimes not at all. Like locking wheel nuts and sunroofs, parking sensors can fuck off. They never work on old cars.

The only rust I can see is the bottom of the drivers side rear door bottom. Its been ignored this far but I really should investigate.

Yeah, mine is starting to go there too. I threw some underseal over it which slowed the rust down but could really do with looking at it properly.

Sometimes these do have a creak from the steering UJ under the dash, Fiestas more prone to it. A notch could also be the rack which again these can suffer from. Rack isn't too expensive on an exchange though.

Check it isn't the inner tie rod joints though first.

If its metallic forget mending the door bottoms. Fit a used door, there's a scrap silver one on out road, rustfree.

Its not really a creak, theres no noise as such if thats what you mean. More just like a tiny area of slight resistance when turning the wheel right of dead centre.