Rover 216 GSI Auto £300 or possible swaps, page 3.

davehedgehog31

So, undertook my first shiter collection of the weekend and what an ambitious one it was. 

My steed was awaiting pickup from a leafy suburb south of That London, some 430 miles from my home near Glasgow. 

After investigating the various transport options the tightarse in me was disgusted by rail and air prices. I identified a cheap fare on the overnight autobus, £12 leaving Glasgow at 22:15 on Friday. An unpleasant night loomed. 

I was dropped off by my better half at the bus station early doors and I secured the last window seat, the seat next to me was taken by a rather odd fellow who used his outdoors voice indoors, but was harmless enough. I stuck my headphones on and dozed until the bus lurched off the motorways into London. A not too unpleasant journey in all honesty, I alighted at a chilly Victoria Coach Station at 5:20am. 

Sensing I may be a bit early to head to the owner's gaff, I waited on Wetherspoons in Victoria Train Station to open and holed up there with a coffee and my breakfast for a couple of hours until it was time to catch the train to Orpington. 

Apprehension was building. I made my way through and met the owner's son who was conducting the sale on behalf of his elderly father who was retiring from driving. Insurance and tax had been arranged and it was simply a case of driving away. 

The car - a rather dusty Rover 416 GSI Automatic born in the foul year of our lord nineteen hundred and ninety-three. 63k on the clock and MOT history was absolutely pristine save for a CV joint gaiter and a bit of sill welding some ten years ago. Looks to have covered very few miles in the intervening period. 

First impressions - It's very dusty. The Heather Mills spec gearbag shifts well. I should have my string backed driving gloves.

Brimmed her and checked tyre pressures. Some miles later approaching the Dartford Tunnel on some disgusting behemoth of a highway the little Rover achieved Engine Warning Light. Became convinced the fucker was going to overheat despite temp gauge being below half and no discernible issue. Made a very nervous passage of the Dartford tunnel with my arse making buttons. I was envisaging a tow truck in my near future. I managed to make it to a service station where I opened the bonnet, no obvious dramas, all levels looked clean and fine and it hot started no bother with no EWL. Fuck knows, I let it cool down then nervously set off again. 

Anyway, the rest of the journey went absolutely without incident surprisingly and the car drove well. Only few issues uncovered were;

- Needs a wheel balanced, vibration through wheel at about 60mph. 

- No hot air through face vents - air through Windscreen vents and the wee door vents works fine, cools and heats with a turn of the dial...

- Steering wheel off centre, car drives perfectly straight though. 

I got it home sometime after 6pm after three cans of Red Bull along the route and also two cold Sausage Rolls which I inhaled at service station north of Penrith.

Yesterday I gave it a much needed hoover and blast with the hose and the inside a quick scrub. I'm very happy with my purchase so far. Bits of rust here and there but it seems very solid. Interior is immaculate. I also shoved an £8 stereo in it from China, more out of curiosity to see how shit it is - it is quite dreadful and I think the original cassette deck will be reinstated. 

Have some photographs and I'll stick up a wee list of jobs identified later on today;

Well played there, its (almost) come back home too! Plenty of R8 love on here, youll have nae bother getting help and tips on keeping it ship shape.

I'll keep an eye out for it around Cumbernauld, I'm there most days.

Cheers! My first thing to look at is the lack of heat from face vents just in case it's symptomatic of something more important. Never really something I've had to troubleshoot on my cars so just doing a bit of reading.

The old boy also gave me a tin, yes, tin of Castrol Oil, he thought it was maybe "four or five years old" but insisted it was fine because it was still sealed. I think his age estimate might be a bit out, I'll need to cut it in half and count the rings to put an accurate date on it;

IMG-20180401-_WA0010.jpg

Nice find,i had a friend who worked for Rover moons ago and i remember him raving that these cars "really flew" on a test drive...i think i know your car as i live very close to Orpington (Chelsfield village)..

I still see more of these than the Honda Concerto knocking about...a few still in Orpington as it is brimmed full of oldies who love a old Rover

Nice write up. I like these first-facelift-but-with-no-grille R8s.

Not sure the centre vents ever do hot. I think they're always fresh air if I remember rightly. Which I might not.

Willing to bet your engine light is oxygen sensor. Seem to recall you can find the ECU under the passenger footwell and get it to flash a code at you.

You're right about the code light, if the EML comes on pull back the carpet in the passenger footwell, ignition on and a little light behind an inspection window will flash fault codes.

It's the door vents that only run fresh air, the centre ones will put out warm air.

They're class cars these, hope it serves you well.

Yeah, that can of oil is much more than four or five years old.....

The advert seems to highlight a Triumph Toledo!

And as for value - check this out - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/castrol-GTX-LIquid-engineering-tin-5-Litres-collectable-vintage/273136891969?hash=item3f983a3841:g:D1gAAOSw3xVaDYHy

Thirty Quid for a battered container! Yours looks much better

post-3538-0-67498300-1522680057_thumb.jpg

The old boy also gave me a tin, yes, tin of Castrol Oil, he thought it was maybe "four or five years old" but insisted it was fine because it was still sealed. I think his age estimate might be a bit out, I'll need to cut it in half and count the rings to put an accurate date on it;

IMG-20180401-_WA0010.jpg

Given that that oil has been sat under the ground for probably 60 million years, I'm sure another few years in a can won't have done it too much harm.

Nice purchase - I'm with Wobbler on the first facelift being a good looking motor.

Little Rover next to some bloated modern hatebus.

Rover1.jpg

Interior after a good scrubbing.

Rover2.jpg

Alternative view of exterior - note rear nearside door trim has been jettisoned at some point. Hoping to source replacement.

Rover3.jpg

Oooffff that looks Nice, I had many r8 214 when I was 18, I loved them they were nippy little things i thought they were great, even if they did like snapping driveshafts, I do prefer the cleaner look of the earlier fronts

Cheers all - snowy conditions have somewhat curtailed play but looking forward to some fettling over the weekend. Will give her a service and a better look over and see where we're up to. Given the previous owner's somewhat questionable timescales I'd like to at least change fluids and filters before pressing her into full service next week. 

Regarding EWL, it hasn't come back on since the initial incident but I'll have a wee look at the aforementioned bulb and see if it's trying to give me any messages, I like the idea that it's like the mute fellow out that Metallica video trying to communicate with me. 

I had fond memories of these cars, my uncle had one when I was growing up and always thought it was a cut above the cars my dad was running about in at the time in terms of comfort and refinement. 

Edit to add - Oil can going on ebay tonight, it might well pay for the materials for it's actual service!

Given that that oil has been sat under the ground for probably 60 million years, I'm sure another few years in a can won't have done it too much harm.....

It will have been refined to some extent from its crude underground state, so may well have a shelf life - Total certainly thinks so

Some think up to five years should be alright

It will have been refined to some extent from its crude underground state, so may well have a shelf life - Total certainly thinks soSome think up to five years should be alright

If I had something old that needed a flush out, I might be tempted to give it a whirl. Appropriate for a highly tuned Honda 1.6? No chance.

Well, my enthusiasm has wained a wee bit...

I went out to have a squint at the back wheel arches tonight thinking I could maybe start on tidying them up this weekend. Scraping away all the crud has revealed they're a bit worse than I'd thought. The passenger side inner arch looked a bit frilly but I had thought the inner of the wheelarch itself to be solid enough, as it turns out the rubber liner was hiding some sins. I set to work scraping out a load of crud to harrowing effect... 

IMG_20180406_175809.jpg
IMG_20180406_175915.jpg
IMG_20180406_175904.jpg

At least the car was cheap!

Yeah, it's not ideal.

Can't weld myself so going to have to get it looked at and see if any cheap(ish) repair can be effected. Don't care how it looks, just want to keep it viable as it does seem remarkably good otherwise.

Does make it's 100% blemish free MOT history for the last 8 years look rather suspect.