Cheers both - plenty to investigate there.
I will be making a concerted effort to fix it on Saturday, will actually try and document my endeavors.
I ended up steaming that Friday, so it never got looked at...
I did have a bit of a look at this over the weekend, but still can't quite figure it out. As described, it idles high when started, gradually lowers but can take 10 minutes or so. It's drivable during this time, the idle will surge up and down a few times when the car comes down a gear though. It's annoying, but it then calms down and the car drives fine, confusing and irritating.
I've checked out the IACV, removed it from the car and cleaned it thoroughly, along with the throttle body and checked the throttle cable is in adjustment. I certainly can't find any vacuum leaks. No engine management light or similar. There's certainly nothing visually off that I can see.
The reason my efforts haven't been more concerted is that I'm thinking about moving her on anyway so I'm lacking a bit of enthusiasm. With the length of my commute to work I rarely take it. I've gotten 37mpg out it, but that vs 55 from the 405, the 405 wins. I personally don't really like automatics anyway. I'm after a little diesel for my girlfriend and I to share.
Would there be any interest here as it stands at
350 300 pounds? I'd also consider a swap or PX for something diesel, manual and smallish. Very open to negotiation, I don't really know the going rate, but given it's got a decent test and the tyres are brand new I don't think I'm far off.
There are a lot of good points about it.
- 66,000 odd miles
- Four brand new tyres, only done circa 400 miles. Tracking also done at this point.
- New brake discs and pads a couple of thousand miles back. I actually have a set of rear brake shoes with it, they're new and unused but I don't think they're actually needed yet.
- MOT until 28th of May 2019 with a history almost entirely blemish free, see above.
- Interior complete and in very, very good nick.
- GSI spec, so a lot of goodies. Electric windows, electric sunroof which is completely watertight and everything works.
- Original stereo, will come with Scottish Dance Band cassette acquired from charity shop in Ayr for 70p.
- Daft little things, like blower resistor replaced so all fan speeds work. I've changed the ATF through a couple of times.
- Old boy I bought it for had owned it from nearly new. 2011 National Trust sticker in Windscreen.
A few issues.
- Aforementioned cold idle issue.
- Rear arches are rusty, although not flagged on MOT even as advisory.
- Also some rust on bottom of doors.
- One of the sills has been previously welded and its quite obvious.
- Bodywork generally scruffy, bumpers scuffed, several dents. The car has been garaged though, so the paint is actually very good.
I've nearly 4000 miles in it since I got it. I'm a bit torn about selling or not, but I can't really justify keeping three cars on. I don't have the time or any private parking. I will take some pictures of her for the ad, but there are some above for your perusal.
Car is in Cumbernauld, near Glasgow.
I'm a bit torn about selling it at all, it's a tight feeling thing. Someone buy it before my bottle goes.