Help FTP.

puddlethumper

Just had an FTP while proceeding. Doing 50 ish on dual carriageway and the engine decided it didn't want to run anymore. No bangs or ominous noise. Got to the side of the road and tool a look. No leaks, plenty fuel pressure. Thought, maybe stop solenoid, although I've never had one go that suddenly, so hooked the plunger out. Won't start. Took an injector pipe off and it seems there is no fuel to the injectors. Do pumps go suddenly dead like that ?

It's an Xud 1.9 with a bosch pump. 

Thoughts from the collective please.

if pumping the primer does nothing, there is a problem between tank and pump. It should take 4 or 5 pumps to build pressure and get hard to squeeze. Pull off the outlet pipe from the primer and see if anything is coming out.

Sorry, what I meant was after a few pumps it was hard but it didn't make any difference.

Thinking belt, like others. Shit! 

I'll have a look tomorrow.

I'm assuming you've turned it over/it was in gear when it stopped. If it turns over quicker then before = no compression = belt failed. Nothing to lose if it's failed whilst driving. Minimum effort needed.

As soon as it died I knocked it into neutral to keep momentum up, to be able to get across a lane of traffic and into the side.

It didn't seem to turn over any quicker than normal.

As soon as it died I knocked it into neutral to keep momentum up, to be able to get across a lane of traffic and into the side.

It didn't seem to turn over any quicker than normal.

That indicates the belt is intact then :-) It will wind over much faster if the belt has gone. If the aux belt is intact that's a good sign too. XUD's have a habit of snapping the aux belt and then the remnants finding their way into the cambelt leading to catastrophic failure. Fingers crossed this is just fuel related.

This FTP has put the mockers on an afternoon with a lady I really like. (Reciprocated.)

Yeah, and get this guys, SHE LOVES OLD CARS and would love a driveway full if she could.

Wanted to come to Shitefest but cant get the time off on the Friday, so the FoTU is her second choice.

Is this lady a keeper ? or what !

Too late - it was doing 50mph....

I was doing nearly 60! Even after turning it on the starter and firing it up it lived. Not really something you can check at the side of the road with the engine covers on... Mine had stripped an inch of teeth and had bits of aux belt everywhere and eventually fired up and fucked white smoke out of the exhaust the pump timing was so out, then died when I released the throttle.

You got clear fuel line to check for diesel?

This FTP has put the mockers on an afternoon with a lady I really like. (Reciprocated.)

Yeah, and get this guys, SHE LOVES OLD CARS and would love a driveway full if she could.

Wanted to come to Shitefest but cant get the time off on the Friday, so the FoTU is her second choice.

Is this lady a keeper ? or what !

Tell her to get over to your mate's garage, there's a dead XUD she can get her teeth into :) 

I was doing nearly 60! Even after turning it on the starter and firing it up it lived. Not really something you can check at the side of the road with the engine covers on... Mine had stripped an inch of teeth and had bits of aux belt everywhere and eventually fired up and fucked white smoke out of the exhaust the pump timing was so out, then died when I released the throttle.

You got clear fuel line to check for diesel?

Yep, I've got clear pipe.