Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Junkyard Jewels NI Easter Monday 2018

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#271 OFFLINE   Cardinal Wolseley

Cardinal Wolseley

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 81 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationHampshire

Posted 15 April 2019 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for this thread which has a melancholy sort of pleasure, can't be many yards left like this now with so many 50's and 60's motors. Hard not to imagine most of these cars being polished religiously on a Sunday as was the practise of this period. Look forward to see what might have changed in your 2019 visit, sad that your motor went south on the trip home.though :(

• Datsuncog likes this

#272 ONLINE   aldo135

aldo135

• Full Members
  • 828 posts
  • 12 thanks
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 15 April 2019 - 10:43 PM

Brilliant thread, some amazing decay there! Better luck with transport this time...
  • Datsuncog likes this
'89 Volvo 740 GL 2.0 - having a rest
'03 Mini Cooper - new family favourite
'10 Hyundai i800 - Slightly boring but useful daily

@aldoliddell on twitter

#273 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 3,797 posts
  • 107 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:50 PM

Cheers guys, it's been a very enjoyable project to go through these pics and try to make some sense of them (though I recognise it would have been waaaaay quicker if I'd simply approached it more systematically in the first place)!

There's a definite sadness when observing this kind of decay, although in a way I'd sooner see an irretrievably end-of-life car gradually dissolve into the landscape, rather than be skewered by a forklift and dragged around a recycling yard prior to being fed into the fragger... while most of these are pretty far gone, I think there's a modicum of dignity still present here.

And it always delights me when someone accidentally digs a car up at the end of a garden or somewhere, and the pieces effectively become part of an archaeological puzzle...

_100693690_buriedcar1.jpg

_100693692_buriedcar2.jpg

_100693694_buriedcar3.jpg

_100693696_buriedcar4.jpg

I think I'm just about done with this thread now, having gone through all the pics again and added in a few more waifs and strays, and also updated the info available for those cars with searchable registrations.

Thanks for all the comments, suggestions and encouragement!

I'll have to have a think about what to do with my other sets of scrapyard pics, now...

• aldo135, LightBulbFun and Amishtat like this

#274 ONLINE   Amishtat

Amishtat

• Full Members
  • 835 posts
  • 5 thanks

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:03 PM

Too easy just to suggest a retitle? I appreciate the effort you've gone to in posting these and I know I'm not the only one to lap up all you have on this subject. As sad as it is to see just how rotten these old heaps are, I'm deriving a certain sense of satisfaction knowing they're too rotten to race. Much better they're left in peace to dissolve.

#275 OFFLINE   Datsuncog

Datsuncog

• Full Members
  • 3,797 posts
  • 107 thanks
  • LocationNorn Iron

Posted 16 April 2019 - 04:12 PM

Too easy just to suggest a retitle?

Possibly, though it's not my thread - I just hijacked it from Mr. T_A_D_T_S_

Glad you've enjoyed, and hopefully there's more rust-themed shenanigans to come!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users