Ex-Bo11ox Rover 623 - HGF, Game Over. £50

RobT

I had a manual Rover 623 for a while, it was super refined even up to the redline. Is the exhaust blowing a wee bit or is it the nature of the auto box?

It could be both of those as I think there is a tiny blow somewhere.  It also sounds a bit tappy which doesn't help, and my old 416GTi was the same albeit much worse (sounded like a bloody sewing machine).  I had the valve clearances done on that with zero improvement.  phil_lihp's 2.3 Accord sounded much quieter when I drove that on the collection mission.

Like I say it's a minor thing, as it's still a great engine for cruising along at 70 for long periods.

• 2 weeks later...

As chronicled in six-cylinder's motoring notes, the head gasket failed last week whilst visiting the field of dreams.  Here's the proof.

post-5013-0-17202000-1525544173_thumb.jpg

After spending the week ruminating I really can't justify the cost of getting this fixed, on something that ultimately isn't worth much.  I'm not averse to fixing worthless old cars (I don't drive anything else after all!) but I'll have to call it quits on this one.

So in the unlikely event someone wants this to fix up it does drive but will need to be trailered, unless you only live two miles away...A chap I know who also owns a 623 said he'd buy it off me when I'm done, but I'm yet to see if he'll still want it.  I imagine it'll be as a parts donor, but if it helps to keep his on the road then so be it.

Been feeling a bit miserable about it this week, but having broken cars sitting around also starts to annoy me pretty quickly, so hopefully I can sort something out and free up garage space soon.

A big shame Rob, but it did at least manage to wait until you were closer to home.  My mega-cheap 420 from dieselnutjob did exactly the same thing but was kind enough to wait until it was sat on my driveway to properly explode, again not an engine known for this issue, ironically!  Like yours with the clogged rad it had been running hot for a while before I had it due to an incorrect expansion tank lid and neglect so I guess that just finished it off.  

If you've not had one thus far, I think a Volvo 740/940 might suit you nicely and there's still a couple of cheap ones to be had.

A big shame Rob, but it did at least manage to wait until you were closer to home. 

It did give you some good times in style. A new crate with new adventures will be on the horizon.

Saw my 626 in the photos! Chucked a new rocker cover gasket on it and have been reading up on the carb. Fluffing on over-run might be dashpot/anti stall stuff, just some tentative adjustments might help a lot. Same with high idle from cold, could be just fast idle adjustment. Freed up carb linkages with some WD40 and will lube them up properly with something more viscous. Bit pissed as been on cider and am mashing keyboard as opposed to typing. Sorry for ramble.

You seem to have a knack for getting lush old motors that exude charm in spades. Another one will be motoring you around soon I'm sure.

Cheers folks, I'm sure there's something else on the horizon to enjoy soon. Nothing I fancy at the moment though, as the mojo has taken a dent.

At least it enjoyed its last significant outing to France in some style Rob.  Decent of it to get you back to Blighty before it failed.

Too right Carl. I've got euro cover but still, would have proved a massive ballache and ruined the holiday somewhat!

iirc from "back in the day" the 623 was always the one to avoid compared to the 620

my mate serpently piled the mileages on a white 620si as an "private hire" driver (they aint taxis in brum)

The H23 had problems with porous or cracked cylinder heads if I remember correctly. The 2.3 is smoother, more powerful and no less fuel efficient than the 2.0, a nicer engine in general.

I feel really bad about this. I did something like 20k in it over nearly 2 years and never had any bother. I sell it to Rob and within a month or something the HG lets go. I thought it was pretty bulletproof this car.

It really sucks to think that despite the welding job and the new tyres that it's dead, but I must admit I'm not sure I'd have the willpower myself to pull the cylinder head off. Bad times.

Damnit. Why do all the ultra-cheap and easily* fixable cars come up when I am at complete gridlock and have a million-and-one projects on?

Looking at the engine bay on this the HG looks relatively easy to do (certainly compared to some HG's I've done) so would be a very worthwhile car to fix.

Surely someone can sort this?

Chuck steel seal in for the shitters fix! Did this on the t-series 820si I've got and 250 miles later there is no sign of oil in water or vice versa. Plus no coolant leaks. For the sake of £30ish (Ecp discount this weekend) it's worth a try!

See http://autoshite.com/topic/31018-viking-longboat-trials-and-tribulations/page-2 for details

KSeal FTW! saved my MG ZS. 10K miles later it was still fine when i sold it on.

in fairness though i did it at the first sign of overheating/mayo... but it has to be worth a shot given you are otherwise throwing it away. it does work.

I think you need the bigger bottle for 2ltr up

I feel really bad about this. I did something like 20k in it over nearly 2 years and never had any bother. I sell it to Rob and within a month or something the HG lets go. I thought it was pretty bulletproof this car.

It really sucks to think that despite the welding job and the new tyres that it's dead, but I must admit I'm not sure I'd have the willpower myself to pull the cylinder head off. Bad times.

Don't feel bad Bo11, these things happen. If anything it's my fault as the rad leak had suddenly got worse, so I should have stopped using it sooner. Lots of miles in France during that hot spell a few weeks back probably did for it, despite regular top ups. Just glad it held on until I was back home.

I'll check out one more option this week, as half the battle is finding someone willing to do the work.