Der Führerwagen is FINALLY sold - Suggestions for replacement invited - Caution: No Diesels!

Junkman

Considering Audi is building the same car in the same colour for 30 years now, nobody would notice I haven't leased a new one,

especially if I get one on a private plate.

Gosh, there is a whole generation out there that has never seen an Audi looking any different. No wonder them y00fz are like they are.

I'd probably just buy an X300 (not that one!) and start stockpiling excuses for not turning up to client meetings.

It's probably got the nicest interior to break down in suggested thus far

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Grim steering wheel aside I prefer the late XJ40 interior - I find the X300's a little too Ford. It's things like the one-piece bonded carpet, modern leather, less proper wood - and more veneer on substrate, plated stick on chrome bits on the door frames rather proper stainless frames and plastic door handles. Every piece of the car looks to have had costs subtracted from it. This sort of thing doesn't bother everyone and the X300 is undeniably slightly better engineered than the XJ40, but the X300's greater efficiency cost it some charm. That said, they feel more modern and they are definitely better assembled with much more accurate pressings and nothing like the hand built element. The X300 also seems to be better value than the XJ40 these days. There are more of them about and they seem for any given condition to be cheaper.

If they behave anything like the XJ40 they don't break down that often and strand you, it is rather that there are ever more buttons unwise to press and as each week passes your eyes can feast on an ever increasing array of warning lights. They used to say of the old  '40 that 'for every action there was an equal and opposite malfunction', but it will get you where you're going. That's probably true of the X300 too.

The trade-off with the Mk2 V70 and S80 are notchier manual 'boxes (obviously irrelevant for Junkman as no such real car would have a DIY 'box), and a slightly more fragile autobox compared to others available at the time from ze German rivals, and generally thirsty engines (even the diesel). Also a turning circle that would make the Jahre Viking blush.

They can be hustled along B-roads if you ask very nicely, but the 17s are quite crashy and you can tell they're not really in the right environment.

However, they nom motorway miles amazingly well, and particularly on a good road surface there is no intrusive noise in the cabin. My 2.0T sits at 70mph in 5th making 2900rpm and I cannot hear the engine at all; in fact it's so quiet that I've sat at 70mph in fourth before without realising it because I cannot hear the difference.

[/accidental* bigging-up own car which is likely to be for sale soon]

Going rate for Gentrys like the one going over the block at ACA seems to be about £3500 (dealer), they have a detuned 1.9 lump, and standard beige peeled cow interior, plus there is that white badermatic 5 door for sale in Yorkshire for just 900 poundingtons, which would leave more in the 'save wobbly plastic from the sea' funds

Minus the trade margin, about £2-2500 would be the private rate for a Gentry, silly I know, but look how much standard 205 GITs are going for now, it's totally effin bonkers, I expect the rarer Gentry model to go bonkers before much longer

These stupid priced 205s in dull specs are really bananas. Don't get me wrong, fun cars but you shouldn't have to pay several thousand for the privilege.

The Gentry is neat. I've seen photos of ACA stuff go for £notverymuch in the recent past too.

Pretty sure someone was peddling a 605 SRI Automatic with velour not long ago on Facebook but spares nightmare...

I don't know much about these, but they look to be quite pleasant things.

It was Volvo's do-or-die design, I rate them highly. And that's from someone who would have chosen a big French car with its notoriously unreliable* suspension every single time over a rear-driven Swede. It's one of those very few modern, more expensive cars which I'd expect to go 400,000 miles without emptying the wallet in repair nonsense.

Intercoolers don't last forever, neither do front arm bushes, earlier cars could suffer from dry joints which played havoc with electronics and ATF changes should be bi-annual, I'm not aware of other endemic weaknesses. Those with slimmer-armed door mirrors (53-plate on I think) were improved under the skin, the more-visible facelift for 2005 didn't achieve much.

Compared with much VAG, BMW or MB from that era it's proper quality. I also appreciate the lack of Chinese influence on appearance - the more subtle and less-is-more approach I like.

It was Volvo's do-or-die design, I rate them highly. And that's from someone who would have chosen a big French car with its notoriously unreliable* suspension every single time over a rear-driven Swede. It's one of those very few modern, more expensive cars which I'd expect to go 400,000 miles without emptying the wallet in repair nonsense.

Intercoolers don't last forever, neither do front arm bushes, earlier cars could suffer from dry joints which played havoc with electronics and ATF changes should be bi-annual, I'm not aware of other endemic weaknesses. Those with slimmer-armed door mirrors (53-plate on I think) were improved under the skin, the more-visible facelift for 2005 didn't achieve much.

Compared with much VAG, BMW or MB from that era it's proper quality. I also appreciate the lack of Chinese influence on appearance - the more subtle and less-is-more approach I like.

I had a V reg 2.4 20v auto about 12 years ago and it was brilliant , ran it from about 60,000 miles to 200k and only ever changed oil and brake pads., it had started getting a bit clunky on the front end towards the end of its time with me, admittedly.

It was probably my experience with this S80 that influenced me buying my current (2011 D3 ) V70. Like comparing a Merc W123 with a 212, apart from the comfy seats , not in the same league. Don't know if Geely are doing a better job than Ford- somehow I doubt it.

Bear with me on this one, but dare I suggest a Vauxhall or Opel Omega?

Petrol engines with a reassuring number of cylinders

Mostly badermatic

Correct wheel drive

Simple sensible design, nothing overly odd or complicated

Mostly non leather

Don't really look out of place anywhere (read have standard boring modern shape)

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Considering Audi is building the same car in the same colour for 30 years now, nobody would notice I haven't leased a new one,

especially if I get one on a private plate.

Gosh, there is a whole generation out there that has never seen an Audi looking any different. No wonder them y00fz are like they are.

Visit the nearest advertised Type 44 and C4 4-ring 5-pot and do the same with an E34/32 6-cylinder and make yourself a picture and have a chat with the owner. Even the worst examples will show their built quality, far away from modern standards. My 520i was literally ridden into the ground but I'm sure it will still live on in Africa.