Der Führerwagen is FINALLY sold - Suggestions for replacement invited - Caution: No Diesels!

Junkman

I personally wouldn't entertain a restoration.

Me neither. I'd have it restored.

It's Bosch I believe.

That would be correct, sir.

BMW replaced it with Bosch K Wanktronic - the work of the devil - in late 1975.

The truly fantastic 3.0 Si had the truly fantastic D Jetronic from '71 until they replaced it with said Wanktronic

and thus relegated it to just being another ordinary car

That's nothing. You haven't lived until you've crossed swords with a Solex Pierburg 4A1

I do have lived, my friend, I do have.

Besides, I think you are right after all.

That restoration would just eat me up at this time in life.

I should flog it, use the money to buy some decent everyday car and have one thing less to worry about.

Should life turn around in the near future, I could theoretically finance a good one if I'm really so inclined,

or go for a much cheaper Fintail, which I actually prefer.

Also, I'm currently not really prepared for an R16 free period.

I worked so hard for living in that parallel universe, made so many sacrifices and enjoy it way too much.

Besides, it's not like the R16 doesn't require some money thrown at, too.

So, it's with a heavy heart, that the Führerwagen is up for grabs.

As I indirectly mentioned before, the Shiter Tariff would be three monkeys.

Anyone out there stupid capable enough?

Guest Hooli

I'd restore it by getting rid of something as horrid as a R16 (the fact that people give real any money for them still amazes me). But then I suspect we have slightly different tastes in cars.

As the former owner of both a Renault 16 and a W108 300 SEL, I would definitely concentrate on the Regie, even if £100k was thrown at the Fritz it still wouldn't be half as nice as an average XJ6 to drive, whereas a 16 is head and shoulders above every run of the mill family car of the 60's and 70's( quite possibly the 80's too). To this day I have never driven a car that's seats and suspension were so perfectly matched , I'd love to try a TX but fear my expectations would be so high it would be a classic case of not meeting your heroes.

As the former owner of both a Renault 16 and a W108 300 SEL, I would definitely concentrate on the Regie, even if £100k was thrown at the Fritz it still wouldn't be half as nice as an average XJ6 to drive, whereas a 16 is head and shoulders above every run of the mill family car of the 60's and 70's( quite possibly the 80's too). To this day I have never driven a car that's seats and suspension were so perfectly matched , I'd love to try a TX but fear my expectations would be so high it would be a classic case of not meeting your heroes.

As the current owner of my first R16 I have to agree. Not a single car I drove hitherto offered this level of ride comfort.

People who were never in one don't believe it, people who are in it for their first time shake their heads in disbelief.

Now that I've driven it a lot, I find our 405 having an unduly stiff and harsh ride and its seats are way too hard to be comfy.

I'm also fascinated by the R16s low maintenanceness.

I have never owned a 50 year old car that's just doing its job without any fuss to speak of. Those old stories of families doing

extensive holiday trips with them and returning without ever having had to open the bonnet come to mind.

But just because a car is wonderful doesn't mean we are lost for anything less good, does it?

If I had the money and woudn't have to part with the R16, I'd happily have the Führerwagen done up.

You can't blame me for not wanting to take the risk of ending up with an abandoned restoration, no cash and no R16.

Fwiw I think your making the intelligent decision here.

I’ve got absolutely no love or time for anything French tbh but appreciate others do. That said, the Merc, lovely as it is, will be a massively involving and expensive undertaking. I suspect what you said above will end up being the case unless you’ve got sufficient cash to pay for the Merc to be restored. It’d be devastating to run out of money to do the Merc, then after you’ve blown your money on it and it’s still a half finished (and still essentially not worth what you’ve spent) kit of bits have to walk away and lose the car and your money and be without the Renault you seem to love so much.

I speak from experience here btw! Very similar almost happened to me recently, and it still cost me a car I loved and still regret losing. I’ve only still managed to keep the car responsible for the mess because I did have the cash to finish the job. Never again!

Sell the Merc, use the cash for something else or make the Renault better and go from there. With any luck your situation will improve later and you might be able to get another Merc, maybe one usable straight away, later.

XJ6 

The unspoken elephant has entered the room.

Cobbled together on a shoestring using bits of previous Jags and built down to a shockingly poor standard, the XJ6 is indeed unrivalled. Even the W126 with it's double kinematic rose jointed ashtrays, ABS and so on is a taxi in comparison. Benz even built cream coloured ones, thus admitting the fact.

You've made me want a 16 though...

You are very welcome to try mine out and make an educated decision afterwards.

The unspoken elephant has entered the room.

There isn't an affordable one left either.

Oh, and the restoration costs would buy an Alfa Six.

Choice made.

That's daft enough to appeal to me.

Wow. What a pretty looking barge.

I’ve just read the thread in it’s entirety and joy face turned to sad face when you tentatively discussed the fucking off of your sixties French supermodel.

Much as the Benz is glorious, it’s relieving to hear the 16 is likely to stay. As you mentioned, if your finances eventually allow it, you could always buy a Merc which you actual wish to own.

I fear my earlier post encouraging you to go for it was made in complete ignorance to the actual work and costs involved.

If you've something you genuinely love in the form of the R16 then following my advice will end in horrible regret. I don't want you tracking me down and beating me to death with home made benz outer sills so maybe just sell!

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

AV is an area registration code for Aberdeen.

Fascinating fact.

1972 was pre oil-boom and Mercs were expensive. Possibly supplied new by Aberdeen's Mercedes main dealer who used to be on King Street. Called John Weir. A right shower of snooty fuckers.

By the bus depot. Don't look for it now. Flattened to make, erm, flats.