Der Führerwagen is FINALLY sold - Suggestions for replacement invited - Caution: No Diesels!

Junkman

Cloth seated XJ40's always had their own distinctive smell, possibly added to by them usually not having aircon, God knows what they smell like after 30 years of damp, rust, cigars and farts though. Some would call it character and we all know a car must have that...

If you're going to trouble of changing the seats, getting some proper XJ 40 16" lattice wheels rather than those 15" XJ-S ones would be nice.

Like this lady did , I think ChinaTom of this parish also has them on his XJ81, although I could be wrong. The Sport options ended up being combined into the Insignia options which would be JM's worst nightmare- more leather and more expensive leather , in funky colours , covering everthing inside.

post-17414-0-29010000-1530012215_thumb.jpeg

China Tom's XJ12 had the proper 16" forged and anodised alloy wheels fitted as standard, but someone (presumably the first owner) has paid extra for a different set of 16" wheels most often seen on USA cars. They're very nice and like the wheels fitted to some of the  very late V12 XJS.

My humble Sovereign has them though. They were available on my car as a (drastically expensive) extra, but my car didn't come with them from the factory - I fitted them because of difficulties with the tyres of the Teardrops my car originally had.

32942529845_609f7c1637_c.jpgP1120635-70 by *D*B*, on Flickr

Incidentally, as a raw demonstration of the power of fame and reputation, one of Diana's XJ40s went on sale a few years back at the same time as another one which had been run by Prince Andrew. The 'Diana' XJ40 made about £8,000 which was a vast amount for the time - the car was a nice one, but even nice ones were about a grand. Prince Andrew's was equally nice - and went for bog-standard 'book' price with no uplift.

Styled by Peters & Lee and equally uninspiring. The E39 5 Series, about as terminally dull as a car can be. The Ultimate Yawning Machine.

But:

Not rusty.

Automatic - and a good one too courtesy of Messrs. Z und F.

Petrol straight six. 

Velours.

Cheap enough. £1250 is a bit salty for the automotive equivalent of the Isle of Wight and a grand sounds better.

You will not give two shits about this car. But it will do the job you require smoothly and unobtrusively. They really do drive very well indeed, and sat in your synthetic cocoon of man made fibres, you are oblivious to the gopping exterior. In fact, without the 'improvements' that most owners bestow on these things, it has a sort of charm* on plastic wheel trims. The steel wheels behind are in fact alloy.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1999-BMW-5-SERIES-520i-4dr/273171445047?hash=item3f9a497537:g:60AAAOSwef9a22X5

post-3069-0-86439600-1530025007_thumb.jpg

China Tom's XJ12 had the proper 16" forged and anodised alloy wheels fitted as standard, but someone (presumably the first owner) has paid extra for a different set of 16" wheels most often seen on USA cars. They're very nice and like the wheels fitted to some of the  very late V12 XJS.

My humble Sovereign has them though. They were available on my car as a (drastically expensive) extra, but my car didn't come with them from the factory - I fitted them because of difficulties with the tyres of the Teardrops my car originally had.

32942529845_609f7c1637_c.jpgP1120635-70 by *D*B*, on Flickr

Incidentally, as a raw demonstration of the power of fame and reputation, one of Diana's XJ40s went on sale a few years back at the same time as another one which had been run by Prince Andrew. The 'Diana' XJ40 made about £8,000 which was a vast amount for the time - the car was a nice one, but even nice ones were about a grand. Prince Andrew's was equally nice - and went for bog-standard 'book' price with no uplift.

I'd forgotten just how lovely your car is. This picture alone, is making me want an XJ40, even though I spent most of my life from 1987 to 1993 hating the things..